New
Find
Notify
Tools

Active deer calling, any experience?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This is partly a continuation of my other thread.

I want to know if anybody knows how to call deer. Not just snorting to get them to stop.

I'm thinking it could be a useful tool when the deer are not moving.

Thanks.

Sand Creek November 29 1864

Posts: 1511 | Location: cul va | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank, I've used antler rattling and grunt calls here in Alabama for prolly the last twenty years with great success.

I've rattled up bucks from mid Oct thru the end of Jan, varying the loudness and length of the rattling sequence.

I won't leave home deer hunting without TWO grunt calls. I can't count the number of bucks I've grunted up to bow range.

I never let a buck walk by out of range without trying BOTH calls at him, whats to lose?? and a lot of times it does work...

Late season, like now, very light rattling will sometimes work to move a deer to a shooting position or just make him stand up out of high weeds for a clear shot.

troy

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is the purpose of the 2 grunt calls?

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Yes calling works.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
Yes calling works.

Care to elaborate?

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I have a plastic bleat call for a distressed fawn. It does nothing for bucks, but I can get does to come within feet of me with it. I amuse myself sometimes by opening the window and calling to does eating seed around my birdfeeder in winter. Can get them generally within 5 feet of the open window if I can keep from laughing.

Posts: 5709 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frank4570:
What is the purpose of the 2 grunt calls?

That way, you get two different call tones. Sometimes one works better than the other, and visa versa.

I never go to the deer woods without my two grunt calls and a rattle bag.

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used it for years I am 33 so not as much as some of the gentelman here have, but it works. Grunting is great and does work in the rutt and some post rutt times as well. Rattling
does work well where buck to doe ratios are closer to 1 to 1 if you rattle where the balance is closer to 3 or 4 does to 1 buck you will not get the same results reason being more does in estrus at once so why fight over plenty, deer are not dumb. I will tell this If I am meat hunting I will not grunt as it does at times turn deer away usually early and late season {IN GEORGIA} check your rut map in your state.
Bleating works awesome where you have alot of doe in one area and few bucks, PRIMOS is the brand of estrus bleat I use and works well. This is my two Cents---Good Luck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rattling and grunting have worked for me in Missouri, but not here in Pennsylvania. Our deer are hunted much harder than the deer on my cousin's farm. I think many of our deer associate calls with hunters. I have had luck calling in does with bleats, with the "early season" can call. Other people have grunted in bucks on my farm, just not me.

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just caught a show yesterday with Larry Weishuhn (Mr. Whitetail....lol) and he was making all kinds of calls with his mouth......I think he called one a snort-wheeze to challenge bucks.

My bud was doing the same out in MT a few years back trying to get a monster to stand up.....well he stayed put but I turned around and there was a very respectable different buck standing 30 yds. behind us......with drool hanging out of his mouth touching the ground.....I'd say he was hot for some doe action!

Me....I'm too scared to do it.....afraid I'll scare 'em away.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you remember the name of the show? I'd like to see it.

quote:
Originally posted by Norton:
Just caught a show yesterday with Larry Weishuhn (Mr. Whitetail....lol) and he was making all kinds of calls with his mouth......I think he called one a snort-wheeze to challenge bucks.

My bud was doing the same out in MT a few years back trying to get a monster to stand up.....well he stayed put but I turned around and there was a very respectable different buck standing 30 yds. behind us......with drool hanging out of his mouth touching the ground.....I'd say he was hot for some doe action!

Me....I'm too scared to do it.....afraid I'll scare 'em away.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Frank, Your recent questions indicate you are sure focused on getting better at tricking the Deer. tu2 Plenty to learn even when you have 5-decades of Hunting them.

I'd recommend the Fawn Bleet in a "Can" to start with. It draws in EVERYTHING! Flip it over once and let it Bleet, wait 10sec and do it again - then wait. If you do not hear anything in 12-15min, try it again. If there is a Deer(Doe or Buck) within hearing distance, it will come to the sound or it will respond with a Grunt/Snort or a Bawl.

I like the Grunt/Snort calls the best during the Pre-Rut. Lots of Posturing and Strutting by the Bucks then to establish the pecking order. And as DTala mentioned, they will pull in a Buck that is just wandering by.

Rattling also works the best for me during the Pre-Rut. You just never know when one will come to the sound. The Hair may be standing along their spine, walking with Stiff fore legs, and ears laid back. That is a serious Mad in Buck posturing. The Rattle Bags(Hard Wood Sticks inside) work pretty well for this and you only need one hand to get a ruckus going. But, with Antlers, you can also "Rake" the limbs and Wham the ground.

I do beleive it is easy to over-do the Calling. Plus it de-tunes my hearing to have a lot of noise going on. Then the Deer can sneak right up on a person and they may never see it.

The best thing about Calling, is you can do it year-round. The Doe and Varmints will come to the Can whenever they hear it. And you can get an idea of just how close they will get. As usual, if they spot movement and realize it is not what they expect - they are gone.

One or two Doe Decoys are just amazing when used with a Call. One standing which is looking toward one laying has to be tried to see just how well it works. The "flexible-hollow" ones(can't remember the name) transport better through the understory than the Archery Target style, but the Archery style can take some good hits from a Buck and not get damaged.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
only time I snort/wheezed at a buck he ran like hell...in the other direction.

the Primos "can" call I had ended up in the kitchen garbage after I tested it extensively one season. I called to every mature buck I saw, prolly a dozen. Half of them ignored it and half ran like hell in the other direction. Not very good IMHO....

troy

Birmingham, Al

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have rattled grunted ect enough bucks in to make me keep doing it.

Does it work all the time no enough times to make it part of my hunting.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frank4570:
Do you remember the name of the show? I'd like to see it.

It was on Versus.....he was hunting in S. Dakota.....just checked listings.....it was either World of Whitetail or Winchester Legends.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote