New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: What's long range?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Sorry I got in late on this thread, my computer at home is down.I pretty much agree that long range hunting is more shooting than hunting. I am not burning any of you that 'do it right': by practicing at long ranges, own and practice w a rangefinder etc. But to me, if your gun is shot in a couple inches high at 100yds, you should be able to 'aim at hair'to around 300yds or a little more. Beyond this wind drift, bullet drop and ranging, even with a rangefinder, become a little problematic. Just as in extreme angle or Texas heart shots, to me the game deserves a little more honor. sorry if I'm on my soap box, capt david

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Observation and experance will tell you when the animal is about to move, dosn't matter if your 10yds or 1000yds away. This is the same, highly thought of, methiod that still hunters have used for thousands of years to stalk up on game.
What I want to see is you (and all the other "get closer" guys) covering 400-500yd of zero cover open ground, in the last 10 minutes of legal hunting hours, without spooking the deer that just came out to feed (from a area where your not allowed to hunt/track).
Where I hunt there are exactly 2 options, be prepaired to take long (350-500yd) shots or take no shot. Not everyone has the same hunting conditions, and we all adapt to the conditions that we are faced with.

Have you ever noticed that on threads like this that those that have the ability/experance present facts in a friendly and educational mannor, but those that don't simply spout wild theories and silly seneraios? Sounds like gunowners vs the anti-gunners dosen't it? We know the facts (and risks), you only see problems and want to outlaw everything that you don't approve of.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I remember a time when the art of knowing when you were "just close enough" and it was time to draw a bead was as common a hunting skill as scoped rifles are now. Boy has that tendancy dropped off the map..

Now the first thing people ask themselves is "can I get it from this far" and some dont even bother wondering, they just draw a bead and hope their super duper wonder killer rifle is as good as their ego feels it is.

Who was it that coined the phrase "there are more long range rifles than there are long range shooters"?

THAT ISN'T a new phenomona. There have always been people plinking out past the "resonable" range of the technology of the day. THEN there have always been people able to pull off the "impossible" with equipment that for it's day you would swear could never happen.
During the civil war there was a Confederate general who every morning stood in front of his tent and shaved using a mirror attahed to the front tent post. Why would he worry, the security line was over a half a mile in front of his tent. Unbeknownst to him and the Rebs, the Union had brought in a long range shooter. They built a bench on the top of a large hill and when set up the range was estimated at approximately one mile. The shooter wrestled his 42 pound rifle into place and on the morning of a scheduled Union attack while the general was shaving, he popped the general with his BP muzzle stuffer killing him on the spot.

Then there was Billy Dixon killing an Apache indian chief at Adobe Wells using a 45/90 Black powder rifle(IIRC) at better then a mile. When people claimed it couldn't happen, the Army out of curiosity provided the support equipment and the shot was not only proved possible but eventually duplicated.

On the other hand I have been driving by public land when I saw 2 guys firing a several deer moving acroos a large clear cut. THe deer were probably a good 7-800 yds out as these"hunters" started shooting with the Remington 742s, offhand, unsupported. In truth, the deer were probably safer then I was.
I cannot fathom why they thought they could actually accurately and humanely hit anything at that range with that equipment using that style of shooting. Glad to say they didn't come close as the deer didn't even seem to know they were being shot at.

Posts: 624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
no one has mentioned this question: What if the animal takes a step as you are shooting one of those 500 yard shots? All of a sudden you have a belly shot animal. SO now you have to get from here to there. You get there and the world has changed-nothing is familiar. So you run back to your firing point and try to figure out where the animal was standing as you took the shot. Then you run back and start over. If you are lucky you have a buddy standing at the spot of the shot with his eyes locked on the last seen location of the animal and will give you arm signals. Unless, of course, you are shooting across peoples yards from your back yard as you sit on your porch telling war stories. Or are in open pastures or farm land. Most of these wild, curve of the earth shots are unethical or just plain stupid.

Posts: 309 | Location: kentucky | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I remember a time when the art of knowing when you were "just close enough" and it was time to draw a bead was as common a hunting skill as scoped rifles are now. Boy has that tendancy dropped off the map..

Now the first thing people ask themselves is "can I get it from this far" and some dont even bother wondering, they just draw a bead and hope their super duper wonder killer rifle is as good as their ego feels it is.

Who was it that coined the phrase "there are more long range rifles than there are long range shooters"?

Posts: 10166 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote