THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    New Year's Eve Buck; story and pic added to reply

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Year's Eve Buck; story and pic added to reply
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Had great success with my little safari crew, 6/6 as to date. Being 6 years old all of our hunting is spot and stalk...and grab ass...and tick tack toe in the dirt...and fossel/rock finding...and hit each other with sticks and grass. It's amazing we kill anything but when the sneak needs to be made they put on their game faces and we are always successful.

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
That's a terrific buck -- not to mention a cute safari crew you have there!

Congrats! thumb

We have 6 year-old twin boys, and trips afield can definitely be both interesting and entertaining... Big Grin

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9376 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
looks like the best way to start a new year!

Posts: 5709 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Great crew, Perry. Not a bad buck either. clap

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Well done and nice buck too! beer

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats one fine buck. Like the crew to. thumb thumb

Posts: 221 | Location: florida big bend | Registered: 14 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I got a big laugh out of that, even Wifezilla appreciated it. Thanks!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12602 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
All smiles here. Big Grin

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
That's fantastic! The true trophies are the ones standing behind the deer. Congrats on hunting with your kids!

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outdoor Writer:
Great crew, Perry. Not a bad buck either. clap

+1

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Perry,

Congrats to the three of you on a fantastic buck!!!

But, I thought you were living in North Central Okla.? A change in venue? Nonetheless, a great buck with great assistants!!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perry,
That is great !

My "crew" is a bit older now, but you described the hunting experience with them perfectly.

We have hunted hogs, turky & deer since they were very young and usually came home with nothing.

This year, by the grace of God, both boys took a deer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by graybird:
Perry,

Congrats to the three of you on a fantastic buck!!!

But, I thought you were living in North Central Okla.? A change in venue? Nonetheless, a great buck with great assistants!!!

Never even been to Northern OK. Must be a different Perry???

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This particular ranch is 23k, low fenced acres. One of my good friends owns it and allows us to hunt on it and take management deer. His daughter is the blonde on the left and she and my daughter have been best friends since birth so it makes the hunts that much more enjoyable. This is my daughters 3rd deer season to actually get out and hunt with me and her 2nd to be pulling the trigger, hogs and doves. I do all spot and stalk with them mainly because of their energy level but also because I want them to learn the skill of hunting first, ambush will come later. They have a ball!
We have shot 2 old 8 points in this spot, we call it our honey hole. It is an old tank basin lined with huisache trees that in total encompasses about 4-5 acres. It is nestled in between 2 roads with thick brush seperating them, no one hunts it. I discovered it about a month ago at the end of a week long hunt and KNEW it would be a great spot.
This particular buck was running the other bucks out of the basin when they would come in. We used the damn for cover and belly crawled to the edge, he never saw us. I shot him in the neck with my, inadequate, 223 (don't tell him that). He did something very interesting that I have never seen. He flipped straight over on his back with all four legs straight up in the air, and there he died. He looked like a dead mule in a cartoon. The girls were elated at our success. All the boys are younger so they ride around with the moms while they picnic; wine, cheese and crackers. More wine than anything. The girls love that THEY are the hunters. When we got home though we discovered that the boys had killed their own deer and even loaded him in the back of one of the Polaris'. He has a big velcro patch over his heart/lung area and you shoot velcro tipped darts out of toy cross bows at him. They obviously connected.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your Deer and your fine hunting crew. Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Well done Perry!!

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
That last picture is great! Big Grin

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In class yesterday my daughters teacher was having the student list out loud the seasons and in all honesty my daughter raised her hand and piped in "hunting".

Perry