New
Find
Notify
Tools

Maine Bear Hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Summer of last year I posted here that I had won an a 7 day black bear hunt from the internet site Where2Hunt.com. The hunt was being provided by Indian Rock Outfitters (IRO) in Rangely, ME. Many who post here were quick to line up to pee on my parade with all sorts of warnings about "greeks bearing gifts" and the like. Well I will humbly execpt any and all "I told you so" from any and all.
The whole sad story is that the business was being sold as I was notified of my win, new owner didn't have place for me to bear hunt in 2002 but offered deer hunt or wait untill 2003 for bear. Well IRO is no longer answering voice mail, email, or phone. The number on the website has been disconnected with out a forward to number. Talked to the HMFIC at Where2Hunt and was told that the new guy at IRO has defaulted on his payments and is MIA. Only good to see in this is that I don't have any money into this (seems that more than a few have sent deposits for 2003 hunts). I also have a new 12 inch SS .411JDJ from SSK that was to be used on the hunt and that is very good. I did pass on an elk hunt in OR and another feral cattle hunt in TX with my brothers to be free for the bear hunt that sucks, always next year I guess.
My youngest son was sort of looking forward to me being gone as it would have given him a chance to honcho the dove season opener on the farm. I'll be home now. He doesn't know yet but I'll let him be the big dog anyway, time for me to pass it on may as well be this year as next.
Guess I didn't get screwed to badly not like the guys that sent money but how does that saying go..... "there is no such thing as being a little pregnant" guess that goes for getting screwed too.

Posts: 218 | Location: Sand Hills of NC | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
<GeorgeInNePa>
posted
Well, why not go hunt Maine anyway? Bear hunts are around $1000, and I know there are many camps with open spots.

Wilderness Escape Outfitters is my choice. Randy Flannery, the owner, is a good friend of mine. Great place, great food, great hunting. Give him a call. I'll be there 8/31/03 for the second week of the season.

Last years bear:
 -
175lbs. and 6' long.

[ 08-01-2003, 21:03: Message edited by: GeorgeInNePa ]