New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Mexico Black Bear
 Login/Join

<Jon Sabo>
posted
As I finish up my military activation here in New Mexico, black bear season prepares to open on August 1st. I have always wanted a black bear rug for the house and figure I might as well take advantage of being stationed in Albuquerque. I am on a budget so I doubt I could afford a guided hunt. Anybody got any suggestions? Even better, anybody need a hunting partner???

Thanks,

Jon

<thomas purdom>
posted
JonSabo: Welcome to New Mexico. I live in Grants, about 65 miles west of where you are moving. From what I've been told the Gila Mountains has excellent bear hunging, but I don't know now with it being so darn dry. The Zuni Mountains and Mount Taylor where I live also have nice bear populations. I've seen about six bruins since moving here in 1998, all quite by accident. One on Mount Taylor while I was covering a fire for my newspaper, one huge one on State Highway 117 about 9 p.m. last summer, and four in the Zuni Mountains, three of those in Bonita Canyon. The game warden called me the other day about a bear trap he has near the ice caves on State Highway 53. Baiting is not allowed and they are a hard animal to find when you are looking for them. When you are not looking for them, you see them. I'm heading down to Junction, Texas, for some wild pig hunting to ease the damn pain for not drawing out on elk AGAIN this year, or a handicap antelope hunt, which was supposed to be a flat given. Oh well, crap happens. Drop me a line if you get a chance. Tom Purdom

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tom, how does the system work for non-res black bear? Is it a draw or can you get tags over-the-counter?

Thanks

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Badboyz
posted Hide Post
I'm not Tom, but most areas that are open to black bear hunting in NM are over the counter. You can download a Big Game Proclamation here .

posted Hide Post
I am an outfitter in New Mexico. The tags are over the counter. You do have to purchase tags 3 days before you hunt. I use dogs and took a bear last year that weighed 513lbs and had a 21' skull. I start my hunts on August 1st. If not hunting with dogs, check water holes for bear sign. They will come to water every evening if warm that day.

Posts: 22 | Location: Model, Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2003Reply With Quote
<thomas purdom>
posted
Trademark Texan: I am so sorry about not posting. I wrote that post and then just didn't get back to it. With the exception of three or four game units, bear tags are sold over the counter like the other folks indicated. If I'm not mistaking, I think the non-resident license is $160 or there abouts. You cannot bait bears in New Mexico (however, some of the Native American hunting outfits bait bears on their lands and it is legal there)but you can use dogs in most of the units. New Mexico has a bear population of some 6,000 animals. For the longest time it was thought that the state had about 3,000 bears, but then a new study was done which put the population at double what was thought we had. Most bear in New Mexico are shot while hunting other game, or scouting for other game. Again, I'm sorry for not getting back sooner. Tom Purdom [Roll Eyes]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting, Thomas. I did some research yesterday, and i think I'd like to hunt the Gila Mountain/NF area. Does anybody have any suggestion? The August hunt looks HOT! I think I'd rather do one sometime in October. Any areas that can be recommended?

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote