Find
Notify
Tools

Texas Govenor whacks coyote
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Texas gov. shoots, kills 'wily' coyote during jog

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AUSTIN, Texas – Pistol-packing Texas Gov. Rick Perry has a message for wily coyotes out there: Don't mess with my dog.
Perry told The Associated Press on Tuesday he needed just one shot from the laser-sighted pistol he sometimes carries while jogging to take down a coyote that menaced his puppy during a February run near Austin.
Perry said he will carry his .380 Ruger — loaded with hollow-point bullets — when jogging on trails because he is afraid of snakes. He'd also seen coyotes in the undeveloped area.
When one came out of the brush toward his daughter's Labrador retriever, Perry charged.
"Don't attack my dog or you might get shot ... if you're a coyote," he said Tuesday.
Perry, a Republican running for a third full term against Democrat Bill White, is living in a private house in a hilly area southwest of downtown Austin while the Governor's Mansion is being repaired after a 2008 fire. A concealed handgun permit holder, Perry carries the pistol in a belt.
"I knew there were a lot of predators out there. You'll hear a pack of coyotes. People are losing small cats and dogs all the time out there in that community," Perry said.
"They're very wily creatures."
On this particular morning, Perry said, he was jogging without his security detail shortly after sunrise.
"I'm enjoying the run when something catches my eye and it's this coyote. I know he knows I'm there. He never looks at me, he is laser-locked on that dog," Perry said.
"I holler and the coyote stopped. I holler again. By this time I had taken my weapon out and charged it. It is now staring dead at me. Either me or the dog are in imminent danger. I did the appropriate thing and sent it to where coyotes go," he said.
Perry said the laser-pointer helped make a quick, clean kill.
"It was not in a lot of pain," he said. "It pretty much went down at that particular juncture."
Texas state law allows people to shoot coyotes that are threatening livestock or domestic animals. The dog was unharmed, Perry said.
Perry's security detail was not required to file a report about the governor discharging a weapon, said Department of Public Safety spokeswoman Tela Mange.
"People shoot coyotes all the time, snakes all the time," Mange said. "We don't write reports."
The governor left the coyote where it fell.
"He became mulch," Perry said.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't mess with Texas

Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:

"He became mulch," Perry said.

This absolutely cracked me up!!!!!!!! rotflmo

It reminds me of a song by Ray Wylie Hubbard .. SCREW YOU, WE'RE FROM TEXAS

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
The bunny/coyote huggers didn't take long to jump on this either. They are sending him a whistle so he won't have to murder the next coyote.

quote:
WildEarth Guardians, a wildlife protection group in Denver, offered to pay for a class in assertiveness training for Perry because of his “slaying of a song dog.” The group also offered the governor an alternative to the pistol.

“With all due respect to his manhood, 90-pound women in tennis shoes effectively scare 30-pound coyotes away with a sharp shout,” said group spokeswoman Wendy Keef­over-Ring in a news release. “We're sending Governor Perry a plastic whistle so he can leave his gun at home.”

Ms Keefover-Ding: "Kiss My Whistle"

Go Gov.!!

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I agree Bob! Ms. Keefover-Ring needs to take her whistle and go pound sand!!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What's a song dog?

Oxon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
make texas the "new" washington
just had their 7th execution
the gov packs heat and not afraid to
smoke a coyote!!!
how do they feel about illeagals?

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go Governor!!! Oxon, song dog is another name for a coyote, just like whistle pig is another name for a ground hog.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tank the coyote loves dog on a rope, good stuff.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Isn't it an alarming indicator of how sad our politicians are as a whole that one stands out this much for doing what SHOULD just be a common sense reaction to that situation?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope he runs for president!

ddj

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shouldn't he have had an aide contact the local Fish & Game Department and come out to sedate this coyote? Anyway, why is the Governor carrying a weapon at all? It really disappoints me that Texas is still the Wild West where individuals were expected to rely on themselves. Don't you know that the kind,all knowing US Government will protect you? Oh,well, Texas always was a peoblem!Smiler

Posts: 680 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hope he runs for president!

No You Don't.

You know nothing about the man except for these grand stand plays he is pulling off right now.

This is the SAME person that wanted or wants to have the Trans Texas Corridor running to Mexico to make it easier for illegals to get into this country.

The man is out to keep his job as govenor no matter who he has to pander to.

He has done plenty of things that many Texans are not happy with, and his hold on the govenorship is tenious at best.

Odds of his getting re-elected are getting smaller as time goes along.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking that California's governor doesn't carry when he jogs. Anyone want to bet against that? Cool

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote