Find
Notify
Tools

Satellite Phone
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted
I'm looking to buy a Sat phone. I'm considering an Iridium 9555. Anyone here own one that they have on an annual contract plan? I'm also thinking that a plan with minutes that roll over might be the way to go. I haven't used one before so if you have knowledge or advice that you'd share I'd appreciate it. I'd like to hear if you experience dropped calls frequently or if ever. I'll be on some extended hunts in very remote areas and may be the only person out there so this would be mainly for emergency contact use if required.
Thanks.

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Westley Richards 450 NE 3 1/4"

Posts: 865 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one. I also have an Inmarsat.

The phone that works best depends on where you are. The Iridium is better the further north you go. The Inmarsat is FAR better in Africa. However, it doesn't work in the far north.

Posts: 12103 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Delorme InReach. check them out. love mine.

might be a good alternative, or even a backup to a sat phone. fairly cheap, and the monthly plans are very reasonable.

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto on the delorme inreach. I have the inreach SE. Great flexible monthly plans.

Posts: 214 | Location: maine, usa | Registered: 07 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Bobby,

Nixon said to tell you hello. Just back from 2 buff hunt.

I have the Inmarsat. Like it. Less expensive to buy than the iridium, works great in Africa, free texting feature.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We have used Iridium Inmarsat and Thuraya.

All work to a certain extent, and all drop calls at certain times.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68770 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safari James
posted Hide Post
I have the Iridium 9555. It drops calls frequently. Very frustrating for the $$ you pay for these devices.

BTW: The Delorme InReach devices also use the Iridium Sat network.

I've yet to find a sat phone that is reliable in all locations.

Safari James
USMC
DRSS

Posts: 369 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes but the beauty of the InReach is that it only needs to connect for a second or two to get your message thru (vs trying to have a conversation). So you wait long enough and it will go thru.

One of Us
Picture of Safari James
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobby7321:
yes but the beauty of the InReach is that it only needs to connect for a second or two to get your message thru (vs trying to have a conversation). So you wait long enough and it will go thru.

Make sure your smartphone is charged as well Cool

Safari James
USMC
DRSS

Posts: 369 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess I should say InReach SE. The original one does need to be paired and wouldn't recommend that one. the SE or SE Explorer would be the way to go Smiler

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Actually it also depends on the satellite and weather conditions.

We hunt from the same camp in the Selous.

One year we get absolutely fantastic reception, and the next we have incredibly bad reception.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68770 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
I got an Iridium 9555. Tried it a couple times and worked fine. Guess we'll see. Seemed like my best option. Thanks all.

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Westley Richards 450 NE 3 1/4"

Posts: 865 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Lee Britt
posted Hide Post
Try the Iridium GO! wifi device. I just used it AK and it was great. Worked exactly as advertised.

Lee

Lee Britt

Posts: 51 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: 02 August 2008Reply With Quote