One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted
300 SMK used for a 1 shot kill on this 5X5 Bull Elk at 320 yards

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RD29c6w40w

Complete story here

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php.../207627/#Post2594405

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
A neck shot and one animal doesn't prove a thing.

Heck, a 40 grain .22 LR into the spine will drop that same bull with the same authority.

Does that qualify that 40 grain piece of lead as an elk bullet? Roll Eyes

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You gotta be kidding. You really didn't get enough of arguing about bullet performance on that TSX thread over at the campfire?

Posts: 66 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It just proves Ron White is right, "You can't fix stupid". horse

Don't let so much reality into your life that there's no room left for dreaming.

Posts: 263 | Location: SE Colorado | Registered: 24 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
What's funny is that jwp475 has NO connection to the elk that was killed. He is just linking to someone else's thread on another forum entirely -- stirring the pot without anything in it, if you will.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
A neck shot and one animal doesn't prove a thing.

Silly me I thought that proper shot placement was a key to sucess with any bullet

Heck, a 40 grain .22 LR into the spine will drop that same bull with the same authority.

You have done as much at 320 yards or are you just speculating?

Does that qualify that 40 grain piece of lead as an elk bullet? Roll Eyes

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I thought about typing a legitimate reply, but it would be akin to conversing with a brick wall. killpc

It would be a waste of my time, not to mention a waste of bandwidth. ANd it seems like the others agree as well.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
I thought about typing a legitimate reply, but it would be akin to conversing with a brick wall. killpc

It would be a waste of my time, not to mention a waste of bandwidth. ANd it seems like the others agree as well.

Ron White is correct it seems

- Winston Churchill

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwp475:
Silly me I thought that proper shot placement was a key to sucess with any bullet

jwp475, I don't have a dog in this fight, but perhaps it is a bit over the top to put this in the context of "proper shot placement".

Here is a quote from the original thread over on 24HourCampfire:

quote:
...the bull step out at 320 yards and dad took the shot…he might be getting old but he still has it, he sent the 300 SMK on it’s way and it hit right in the neck and that’s was it.

I'm really happy for this guy's dad, he may be getting on a bit, but he got his elk this year. Power to him!

By the sound of it, though, it was probably more a case of flinching in the right direction, or having the elk walk into the bullet... Getting older or not, I don't know of that many people who consciously take neck shots at 320 yards under field conditions.

But maybe I'm wrong, and it is all part of this newfangled "range it,check the wind, dial in correction,aim,sqeeze and only one shot" business??

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
This topic has been beaten to death so many times that the flies have never left.

So again, WHAT DOES ONE ANIMAL PROVE?

You have no connection to the elk, there is NO mention of bullet performance -- and it was a neck shot.

The same results could have been had with an array of calibers and a ton of bullets.

But what if that SMK landed on the center of the shoulder? Is it designed to handle that type of impact and maintain its integrity?

What if it slipped between ribs? Is it designed for proper expansion at extended ranges?

Sierra says it is not. Plenty of testing by many individuals shows the same -- that it is a poor choice. Yes, it may give spectacular results one time but fail miserably the next.

We owe it to the animals we hunt to use the proper tools for the job so that a quick, humane kill is the result.

A Sierra MatchKing is NOT a proper tool for big game.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
Bobby--kind of doubt you have killed as many animals over 250lbs as I have but I could be wrong. Never had I had a SMK fail to bring one down -- the trick is using the right SMK for the job as they are all different. It will take some research but it can be done.

Killed a 2 over the last couple of weeks with a 1 shot kill using 150SMK(posted pics of one of the little devils on another thread). Was going to use the 250SMK on another but the big nasty got into a creek before I could get on him--maybe get a few more after Turkey day.

Will agree that for the general public that just go and pick a SMK to use may not be the best thing to do. For the record, have in the past had more than one BT fail miserably in the field and many consider those to be a hunting bullet. It is all about the application and that includes MV, possible impact range (I have rifles that will make a Nosler Partition fail if used improperly), and the type of animal being hunted. For that matter doing the due diligence with any bullet requires that criteria to be considered.
Smiler

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
This topic has been beaten to death so many times that the flies have never left.

So again, WHAT DOES ONE ANIMAL PROVE?

You have no connection to the elk, there is NO mention of bullet performance -- and it was a neck shot.

The same results could have been had with an array of calibers and a ton of bullets.

But what if that SMK landed on the center of the shoulder? Is it designed to handle that type of impact and maintain its integrity?

What if it slipped between ribs? Is it designed for proper expansion at extended ranges?

Sierra says it is not. Plenty of testing by many individuals shows the same -- that it is a poor choice. Yes, it may give spectacular results one time but fail miserably the next.

We owe it to the animals we hunt to use the proper tools for the job so that a quick, humane kill is the result.

A Sierra MatchKing is NOT a proper tool for big game.

300 Grain SMK recovered from a Utah Moose

Going out on a limb herte, but I'm pretty sure that it was recovered from a "Dead Moose"

Another 1 shot kill with a 300 Grain SMK

The lungs from the above Elk

And your experience with them?

- Winston Churchill

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boss Hoss:
Bobby--kind of doubt you have killed as many animals over 250lbs as I have but I could be wrong. Never had I had a SMK fail to bring one down -- the trick is using the right SMK for the job as they are all different. It will take some research but it can be done.

Killed a 2 over the last couple of weeks with a 1 shot kill using 150SMK(posted pics of one of the little devils on another thread). Was going to use the 250SMK on another but the big nasty got into a creek before I could get on him--maybe get a few more after Turkey day.

Will agree that for the general public that just go and pick a SMK to use may not be the best thing to do. For the record, have in the past had more than one BT fail miserably in the field and many consider those to be a hunting bullet. It is all about the application and that includes MV, possible impact range (I have rifles that will make a Nosler Partition fail if used improperly), and the type of animal being hunted. For that matter doing the due diligence with any bullet requires that criteria to be considered.
Smiler

Boss Hoss; You have mentioned on a couple of threads that some SMK's are different...i.e., designed with terminal ballistics in mind, instead of just accuracy.

Not doubting you, but just curious. Why would Sierra design some of their SMK's with hunting in mind, and others with only accuracy in mind? Seems like it would not make economic sense.

Just doesn't make sense to me, can you help?

jwp475: On this board you are arguing SMK's, on another boad you are arguing TSX's. Always seems to degenerate into name calling. May I suggest that you chill, it's only a hobby.

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olarmy:
quote:

Smiler

Boss Hoss; You have mentioned on a couple of threads that some SMK's are different...i.e., designed with terminal ballistics in mind, instead of just accuracy.

Not doubting you, but just curious. Why would Sierra design some of their SMK's with hunting in mind, and others with only accuracy in mind? Seems like it would not make economic sense.

Just doesn't make sense to me, can you help?

jwp475: On this board you are arguing SMK's, on another boad you are arguing TSX's. Always seems to degenerate into name calling. May I suggest that you chill, it's only a hobby.

First I never made any such statement about the SMK being designed for ANYTHING but accuracy. Please slowly read what I have written and then comment as in this case you are making yourself not look very smart. I also sent you a PM on this about 2 weeks ago if memory serves.

I just so happens that by COENCIDENCE that some of the SMK bullets work well in hunting applications because of core composition and jacket thickness which also includes the taper ratio compared to a GK for example. There is a lot to this that you are not fully grasping so go back as I said earlier and reread the posts I have made on the subject.

Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Sierra book flatly states that the SMK is not recommended for hunting. Even Ray Charles can see that. All ya wanna do is stir the pot. Why are you or anyone else, trying to prove the manufacturer wrong. I have little respect for anyones ethics if they use them for hunting. The only exception might be for someone wanting to save the fur when varmint hunting.
Bear in Fairbanks stir

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
Simple-----you are not informed. This is a long and detailed saga and you do not have all of the facts.

one of us
posted Hide Post
BH: I stand corrected...I misread your posts. Probably not the last time that I wll make myself not look very smart.

OK, correct me if I am wrong (we've already established that my reading comprehension is not too good), but it sounds like you would only recommend a few of the SMK's such as the 250 or 300gr in 338, the 190gr in 308, and the 142gr in 6.5MM. And you primarly shoot at long ranges, say 350+. Would that be correct?

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Boss Hog wrote:
quote:
Bobby--kind of doubt you have killed as many animals over 250lbs as I have but I could be wrong.

I probably haven't. I'm estimating I've only killed about 40-45 animals that went 250 or over. With weights over 200, the number is only around 75-80...hardly worth mentioning amongst present company as I'm sure that pales in comparison to your numbers.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
quote:
BH: I stand corrected...I misread your posts. Probably not the last time that I wll make myself not look very smart.

OK, correct me if I am wrong (we've already established that my reading comprehension is not too good), but it sounds like you would only recommend a few of the SMK's such as the 250 or 300gr in 338, the 190gr in 308, and the 142gr in 6.5MM. And you primarly shoot at long ranges, say 350+. Would that be correct?

Yes sir that would be correct.

One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Boss Hog wrote:
quote:
Bobby--kind of doubt you have killed as many animals over 250lbs as I have but I could be wrong.

I probably haven't. I'm estimating I've only killed about 40-45 animals that went 250 or over. With weights over 200, the number is only around 75-80...hardly worth mentioning amongst present company as I'm sure that pales in comparison to your numbers.

How many of those of those kills were with SMK's?

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Bear in Fairbanks wrote:
quote:
The Sierra book flatly states that the SMK is not recommended for hunting. Even Ray Charles can see that.

How true. And he can "see" that because Ray Charles isn't nearly as bullheaded as some posters tend to be!
jumping

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
Like I said before --- some people are not aware of the background information of the SMK. With the financial ramifications associated with any recommendations of the SMK for hunting by
Sierra would cost the aforementioned millions in lost sales to one of its best customers the USG.

You are doing a good job of stirring the pot BTW!! Big Grin

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Boss Hog-

If you'll research the thread (I am not doing it for you), you'll find that a few years ago on this board, this same debate surfaced.

And one proponent of the SMKs basically called me an idiot when I said the MKs don't always expand. He said "put up or shut up" and that he'd give $100 to the first person who posted a photo of a recovered, unexpanded MatchKing.

Let's just say this fellow was at least a man of his word and sent me the $$ when I quickly posted those photos of the 6.5mm, 140 grainers. (I've tested about every bullet out there, by the way.)

They can't even expand in test medium on a consistent basis. Thus, I have the intelligence to choose a BETTER bullet for game. 'Nuff said.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Yes sir that would be correct.

Thanks, I appreciate you sharing your experience.

One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
Tomahawk,

All that I will say about this is that my information comes from the source. Have killed too many of the little evil tusked creatures along with assorted deer, aoudad, varmints including some pretty big dogs over 100lbs and coyotes to doubt certain SMK's abilities.

Never had a failure to kill an animal that I hit period with a SMK. The empirical data that I have amassed indicates a different conclusion than yours. I am glad you are so intelligent please do carry on sir.

Have A Nice Day.

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
As posted by Saeed here

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3411043/m/234103709/p/1

[/QUOTE]Saeed
Administrator
Posted Nov 18, 11:24 AM Hide Post
We were going to go on safari to South Africa in 2002. And as on a previous hunt there, we found that sometimes one has to take rather long shots at some animals.

So we built a rifle specially for this purpose, and chambered it for our 30/404 wildcat.

I tried differnt makes of 180 grain bullets in it, and we got over 3400 fps with all of them with very good accuracy.

So, in the interest of testing, I loaded several different types of 180 grain bullets in it.

Including the Sierra Match Kings.

Our first hunting area was in Zululand, for zebra, reedbuck and nyala. All of these were shot at relatively close range.

I used the 180 grain Match King bullets, and all worked very well.

They did fall apart, but not any more than normal soft points as loaded by the factories.

As a matter of choice, I prefer bullets that hold together and penetrate rather than those that expand explosively for hunting.

But if my only choice is between Match Kings or normal factory soft point, I would pick the Match Kings.

www.accuratereloading.com [/QUOTE]

- Winston Churchill

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Why do some posters resort to an ethics arguement in these threads? If the bullet killed the animal quickly, where do ethics come into play???? Confused

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
Before we knew better,25 years or so ago,we used SMK exclusively for deer hunting.We bought a few boxes of 165 gr 308 on clearance that lasted for years.With them we brought home quite a few deer.Seems like there were a few instances of less than stellar performance,both over expansion and no expansion,but always killed with good placement.After our few hundred were gone,we moved on to other brands and calibers of bullets
Even back then,they werent recommended for hunting.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sierra has hunting bullets in the same calibers and similar weights as their match bullets. These bullets are usually as accurate as their Matchkings, so there is no reason to hunt with the match bullets.

I say this not as someone who has hunted with match bullets, but as someone who has shot matches with hunting bullets.

Posts: 317 | Location: Texas Panhandle | Registered: 09 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
SMK's No Good For HUNTING

i agree!

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mho:
quote:
Originally posted by jwp475:

jwp475, I don't have a dog in this fight, but perhaps it is a bit over the top to put this in the context of "proper shot placement".

Here is a quote from the original thread over on 24HourCampfire:

quote:
...the bull step out at 320 yards and dad took the shot…he might be getting old but he still has it, he sent the 300 SMK on it’s way and it hit right in the neck and that’s was it.

I'm really happy for this guy's dad, he may be getting on a bit, but he got his elk this year. Power to him!

By the sound of it, though, it was probably more a case of flinching in the right direction, or having the elk walk into the bullet... Getting older or not, I don't know of that many people who consciously take neck shots at 320 yards under field conditions.

But maybe I'm wrong, and it is all part of this newfangled "range it,check the wind, dial in correction,aim,sqeeze and only one shot" business??

- mike

Well first off he never flinched and he hit where he was aiming, and the elk never walked into the bullet either and if you even watched the video you would have seen that.

I’m sure you don’t know many people that can shoot well enough to take neck shots at 320 yards few can and these old guy is one of them that can.

Than again he wasn’t shooting an off the rack Wall-Mart special either.

The only thing you have correct in your post is… maybe I'm wrong, and it is all part of this newfangled "range it, check the wind, dial in correction, aim, squeeze and only one shot" business??

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
I don't get it.

Barnes, Nosler and several other bullet maufacturers offer bullets that are very accurate and have proven performance on game. Sierra sells a bullet that while is also very accurate, the advise from the manufacturer is to not use it on game.

And theres folks here that insist they know the only true path, they have the inside scoop, they are the only one to have all the facts, education and experience. These Enlightened Ones have been ordained by God to lead the unwashed masses into the Light using SMK's for hunting.

I guess I can only conclude the internet is a wonderful invention as it allows us to be blessed by the presence and pontifications of the Enlightened Ones.

Posts: 9497 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
.. With the financial ramifications associated with any recommendations of the SMK for hunting by Sierra would cost the aforementioned millions in lost sales to one of its best customers the USG. ...
I happen to know a bit about Bullets, Hunting and the US Government. But, I sure do not understand the above statement. bewildered

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
Please read the JAG White Paper and THEN think about what would happen if all of that was put into jeopardy by the marketing folks at Sierra. Now think about that and get back to me.

One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:
I don't get it.

Barnes, Nosler and several other bullet maufacturers offer bullets that are very accurate and have proven performance on game. Sierra sells a bullet that while is also very accurate, the advise from the manufacturer is to not use it on game.

And theres folks here that insist they know the only true path, they have the inside scoop, they are the only one to have all the facts, education and experience. These Enlightened Ones have been ordained by God to lead the unwashed masses into the Light using SMK's for hunting.

I guess I can only conclude the internet is a wonderful invention as it allows us to be blessed by the presence and pontifications of the Enlightened Ones.

On the contrary --- just shows that some are not motivated to seek out and use this type of information. May be that one does not posses the necessary skills, relationships, intelligence, or experience to garner and utilize this type of information. Please carry on.

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Thankyou Boss for the motivation. I just can't believe I've made it all this time without the guidance from a faceless nameless, placeless, person, (if in fact you are a person,) such as yourself.

Carrying on as directed.

Posts: 9497 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thankyou Boss for the motivation. I just can't believe I've made it all this time without the guidance from a faceless nameless, placeless, person, (if in fact you are a person,) such as yourself.

Carrying on as directed.

archer

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:

Carrying on as directed.

Come to the SHOT or the ACGG-SCI show and I will help you to understand --- then it will all become clear.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a pointless, wheel spinning thread. I can't believe that I wasted my time on this pos.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote