THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Best state for retirement - backyard hunting
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best state for retirement - backyard hunting
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would have said the Adirondacks, until 9/11/01. Then the invasion of downstaters and NJ folks have really bumped up all real estate prices. Maine is still a pretty good deal.

Posts: 29 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Reloader,
Regarding weather issues, someone looking to retire from the NY area should remember the fact that certain parts of the country do not have blizzards or "lake effect snow."
I truly love spending time in MT, WY, and CO, but for a retired person that wants to get out of the winter cold so that they can play golf in January and comfortably enjoy a 6-month hunting season, followed by great fishing and loads of spring turkeys, there's only one geographical direction to consider. When you combine the mild weather with low taxes, affordable land, and the multitudes of opportunities for a sportsman, it's not hard to see why so many people from his area decide to retire south.

Very true. I like to visit the Northern states but, I wouldn't want to live there due to the harsh winters.

Have a Good One

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cutman:
South Carolina

Deer season runs from August until January, good turkeys, good doves, close to the ocean or mountains, nice people, great weather (except humidity during summer) and prices shouldn't be too bad.

Wow Wow
Cutman,
I am moving to SC the 1st of May. Are you kidding, the deer season is 6 months long?
What area are you in? I am moving to Pickens, just outside of Greenville. Any restrictions on rifle hunting. I use a 250 savage. IS It a shotgun state? My friend, a nonhunter, says the place is lousy with turkey and he see quite f number of deer. Talk to me man, I am getting pumped up.

"La vida no vale nada sin El Honor"
Winggunner
SCV, MOS&B

Posts: 214 | Location: Pickens, SC GOD's UpCountry | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iwzbeeman:
You wouldn't like West Virginia. Those jokes you see on TV aren't jokes. West Virginia ranks dead last or next to last in all of the quality of life items. That is the good items. On the bad stuff, they're top of the list. The people are inbred and damned strange. They do not like furiners, which is anyone that can talk and not drool. Any social services you need and can pay for are dramatically overpriced because of all the droolers that are free riding. The politicians are corrupt and backward. The schools are the pits. Haute cuisine is considered to be Shoney's. Pizza Hut, when there is one, doesn't deliver. No all night drug stores nor groceries. Call a plumber on the week-end and you'll probably get cussed at.
You might find some hunting if the locals haven't poached everything and you don't get shot for blundering onto someone's meth lab or "patch".

Gee, uh...thanks. I mean, for all the help and all. :rolleye

You know, I've been hanging out on the net for 7 years. I have never been in a flame of any kind. I just don't understand people like you. What's your motive? Are you a troll? Do you just like insulting others? What do you get out of posts like these?

I'm probably just tired and frustrated. Responses like this is likely just what you're hoping for and I'm just feeding a troll.

To all else; thanks for the info and opinions. This move is still a couple of years off but if I make a decision now I would rather purchase the land now than wait.

I would say it's between Montana and a southern state. This is based on opinions given here and research I've done in other places. A big trade off for me is gardening. I didn't bring it up here since this is a hunting forum and all, but there it is. A big factor for me.

Thanks again for all your input. I still wish I could find some info on W.Virginia. I can't seem to find anything. I lived in eastern WV in the mid 70's for a short time. I'm sure it has changed since then but man, I loved that area and the climate. Pendleton county. Beautiful place.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Although its not a huge piece of land, my folks have only 11 acres of land in Georgia, they pretty much own a wooded hill. Several resident deer and turkeys visit the corn pile every morning 50yd from the back porch. Not a lot of land, but that is about as backyard hunting as you can get.

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JWK, hey, no troll. You asked for info and I gave it to you. If it wasn't the answers you wanted, too bad.

When you say "eastern West Virginia", I assume you mean a DC suburb (which extends out past Martinsburg now). Yeah, you're a real authority on hillbillies. Come on down. With your snotty attitude, you'll fit right in. I've got a place I'll sell you.

Posts: 367 | Location: WV | Registered: 06 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its the little places that unless you have lived there you would not know they even exist.

North Eastern Washington State and Northeastern
Oregon are depresssed. Land Prices are very
awesome. My daughter bought 10 acres for $19,000 and on a River as well (Ione,Wash.). A few miles from Montana on the east and Canada to the north.
LaGrande,Elgin,Baker,Union,Enterprise,Joseph, Oregon are other great places. Deer, elk,turkey,black bear and cougar are plentiful.

So far there are no restrictive guns laws and in the right areas you won't even see the people in the big cities during hunting season.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iwzbeeman:
JWK, hey, no troll. You asked for info and I gave it to you. If it wasn't the answers you wanted, too bad.

When you say "eastern West Virginia", I assume you mean a DC suburb (which extends out past Martinsburg now). Yeah, you're a real authority on hillbillies. Come on down. With your snotty attitude, you'll fit right in. I've got a place I'll sell you.

Well I for one don't enjoy the invasion of northern retires to our southern states, but I as long as I don't have to listen to them telling me how they do it back home I can live with it. THey do tend to drive up our local economy and raise the cost of living but this is a free country.
I DO THINK THAT YOUR ATTITUDE IS UNCALLED FOR. One of the nice things of the TRUE SOUTHERN STATES is that we are a very friendly people, even to those that invaded us years ago.
YOU iwzsbeeman HOWEVER ARE A JERK AND THAT CAN BE SEEN BY ANYONE NO MATTER WHERE THEY LIVE IN THESE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
For those of you that might not know, WEST VIRGINIA IS NOT A SOUTHERN STATE.

"La vida no vale nada sin El Honor"
Winggunner
SCV, MOS&B

Posts: 214 | Location: Pickens, SC GOD's UpCountry | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you might be getting sold a bill of good on MT. Where I am, it generally hits -30 at some point in the winter, maybe colder. And bring your snow shovel. Can't complain about the hunting, but you will be competing with alot of folks (including the out-of-staters) for the public land. Not too many secrets left.

Also, you stand a chance of getting stuck in line at the DMV (aka DOT) next to VG. Seriously, VG, you are long winded. And the exclamation points!! Wow! Almost keeps one from falling asleep!!

Actually, I don't begrudge folks for moving here. It keeps our economy up. I am a builder and my wife a mortgage broker, so for our sake please move here. However, once everyone does, look for me in AK.

Posts: 159 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 11 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only bad thing about Texas is that there is no public land hunting.
I would take a serious look at Montana around Troy and Libby. Also the Tobbaco Valley around Eureka.
Also around ELK City in Idaho.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The trouble witha survey with this is it doesn't take into account personal preferences. I'm perfectly happy here in West PA, but if you don't fish, bow or turkey hunt you will probably not be too impressed.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Also around ELK City in Idaho.

SHHHHHHHH ! ! ! ! ! !
Wink Big Grin Wink

Seriously, if I hadn't just bought a place in Canada, I would also be looking right at Elk City. There are also a few little towns around Bear Lake (on the Idaho side) where property is pretty reasonably priced. I was looking at nice little houses for sale there for around $50K...and there is enough public land in the area to keep me happy.

Best,

John

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
It depends on what you want. If you want a full bag of North America Game and miserable winters, select Montana or Alaska.

If you want decent winters, a pretty full bag, and like the mountains - you can't beat New Mexico.

If you hate the cold and want to hunt year around - Texas.

I have a lease in the hill country that has free ranging axis, sika, fallow, elk, red deer, aoudad, mouflon, corsican, dall, spanish goats, bobcats, mountain lions, hogs, etc. You can't beat that. Oh, yes it has white tail during deer season as well.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3079 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
Interesting thread. I am also looking for a winter spot. Dec. Jan. Feb and March. I've narrowed it down to the southern states naturally. Calif. is naturally not considered. I'm afraid I don't agree with their politics there.
That leaves N.M., Nev., Az. and Tx. Looked Nev. over last winter. Found a couple interesting spots.
I'm now looking around Snyder Tx. Does anyone know anything about that area? thanks.

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Not sure about the game around Snyder, but the area is flat and ugly (sorry locals). You won't get any of the free range texas exotics either. Look for land around Rocksprings, Kerville, Llano, etc. It can be expensive, but worth it. Prices range from $700/acre to $1200 for the reasonable areas; but can go as high as $10K close to Kerville. You need some property with good terrain relief, water (either river or springs) lots of big neighbors (no ranchettes) and 250+ acres. For the Rocksprings area try www.edwhiterealty.com for property. Its pretty dry west/sw of there. It might be ok if you like this, but the areas to the east are more green, but start going up in price.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3079 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If your health is good have you ever considered tempararily moving to Africa. South africa and Namibia would be potential places. I know it would be a hell of a culture shock but you could pick up hunts, non trophy, pretty cheaply and it would be the adventure of a life time. Of course you would need to have some one who lives there to kind of sponser you and help you fit in and you would not want to do this if you need more than basic medical care. es

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1231 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mikea: Let me add some correct information regarding winters in Montana if you don't mind - for those that may be interested in the truth THEY ARE NOT A PROBLEM!
I have never been stuck on a city, county or state road here in Montana during winter, spring summer of fall! Where I was born and raised I had many a sad slippage into the ditches caused by black ice or wet snow turning to ice!
The winters here in my region of Montana are very sunny and the dry air here makes the "penetrating" wet cold of many areas of our country VERY unpallatable by comparison!
The average winter day here at my house in SW Montana - during the winter is 33 degrees for a high and 18 for a low (night time)!
The lowest low we had this winter was 22 degrees below zero!
Piece of cake!
Also, I have wintered here now for 9 (nine) years and the coldest temperature at my home (elevation 5,400'!) has been 28 below zero!
Those below zero DAYS are very rare here in SW Montana!
Again, the winters in this huge quadrant of Montana are like a piece of cake!
You ought to try dealing with gray skies for a hundred days on end or 33 days straight with rain - like in the state where I came from!
Now those are funky type winters!
Also this mikea, according to the last interim census here in Montana (2,005!) 68% of ALL people now living in Montana were born in another state!!!
In other words there aren't even many chances for folks LIKE YOU to to make an arrogant fool of yourself in public. Thank God for that!
So if anyone sees an arrognat type turd in line at the DMV once you have moved here to Montana - ask them if their "nom de plume" is mikea and then tell him to fuck off!!!
You might instead wish to ask mikea if he is at all aware of where Montana ranks taxation wise both nationally AND compared to Alaska!
Again according to the U.S. census bureau (Drudge Report - April 10, 2,006!) Montana bests Alaska in both TOTAL taxes raised (Montana 47th in the nation - Alaska 46th! - THEN in total tax raised PER CAPITA - Montana ranks 35th while Alaskans rank as the 8th highest taxed people in the nation!) So you can see if you want higher taxes (and much longer and more severe winters) Alaska is the place for you - and for mikea!
Again I think mikea may be speaking in this additional manner, which most certainly proves him incorrect regarding Montana! The total numbers of licensed Hunters in the U.S.A. has been falling significantly from 20 years ago!
mikea is again wrong regarding Montana and numbers of Hunters afield comparatively - I have places I Hunt Spring Black Bear, Elk, Mule Deer, Whitetailed Deer, Cougar and Antelope where I virtually NEVER have conflicts with other Hunters.
Takes a little effort but it most certainly can be done!
Maybe mikea has never Hunted in Utah for Mule Deer or Elk in the Clockum region of Washington State or for Whitetails in Pennsylvania?!
Here in Montana the seasons for virtualy all types of Big Game are longer than anywhere else (in the U.S.!) that I have Hunted for Big Game!
Montana is the correct answer to this threads question!
And it probably would be better to just ignore the occassional arrogant ass (like mikea!) you may run across here in Montana - believe me they are the rarity here!
There seems to be a just few of them scattered around in every state anymore!!!
Montana is the correct answer - I guarantee you will be happy here!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seriously, VD, I can't even get through your rant. Perhaps a need to hear (see) yourself talk. Also, maybe you should check a grammer book for proper usage of the exclamtion point. Or maybe you just exite easily.

As far as MT goes, I was born and raised here (down the road a bit from where I live now) and love it. I have gotten into the habit of telling folks that it's cold (it is in the winter) and that most wouldn't like it (that's true too, many move here and then move away in the spring). I've found that it keeps some of the dicks out, but clearly there is no foolproof way!!!!!!!! (if you're still reading, that's for you vd). However, the best testimate to my feelings is where I live: after living in 3 other states and out of country, this is my choice for now.

Good luck w your choice,
Mike

Posts: 159 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 11 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am building a place in Central BC for Summer and Fall and am seriously looking at New Zealand for Winter and Spring.

Prices are right. Fishing and Hunting are good. Medical Care is good. The language is English. (sort of) Big Grin

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
JWK, 50% that move to Montana are gone in 5 years. 90% are gone in ten years I believe.

Despite current mild winters, Montana has a saying... 9 mos winter and 3 mos visitors. Reading between the lines of your posts I'm not sure you'd be suited to this climate. That's in no way to discourage you from coming, it's just a reality check.

one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
Austin:
Excellent, thank you. Good info. I will investigate further.

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To all , don't let 'em shit ya........Montana really is in the banana belt........(grin)

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For all those wanting to retire to Alaska. Please come shovel the 5" of new snow that has appeared at my house this morning! thumbdown Mad

Posts: 513 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Eastern Oregon.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote