Notify
Tools

Late October in Wyoming?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
Smiler All you fine Wyoming guys.... Comments appreciated:

Looks like my speed goat hunt will be the end of October. What should I expect for weather? How about trophy quality? Will there be any pronghorn bucks left by then (Unit 87)???!!!!

Any other fun stuff to do while I am out there? Any OTC tags for other 4 legged freezer fillers? I think I am going to drive and perhaps do some camping/fishing while dallying about.

~Ann

Posts: 19203 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
The weather will be down near freezing in the early morning and could get as warm as the mid 70's during the day. Not sure about that particular area but they don't shoot all of the bucks. Be prepared for some long shots as they will be spooky by then. Usually there are doe/fawn tags available for freezer meat.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12578 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
By the end of Oct. up here many goats have shed their horns!!! I hunted last year the last few days of the month and had a hard time finding one with horns!!! If you do kill one all it takes is a lite pull and they will come off, dragging mine to the road I lost one, I found it, but you could lose them. Good luck.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Ann,

I thought you'd given up on the West....unfair fees and all? Smiler Just kidding.......congrats on the draw....here's to a safe and productive hunt.

Joe

Where there's a hobble, there's hope.

Posts: 369 | Location: Homer, Alaska | Registered: 04 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ovis,

I got their crappy letter AFTER I sent my license money in, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered! But, since I got it I might as well fill it if I can. But one guy here says there won't be any horns on 'em when I can hunt. That's depressing!

~Ann

Posts: 19203 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I was there last Oct from the 13th for a week and a half. I took about 30 photos of about 75 different antelope bucks in my unit. I do not know the odds of horn loss by then but I saw plenty of 15" prongs.

When I get home, I can attach some photos.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
There will be some horns, but most will have lost them by late Oct.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MrHawg
posted Hide Post
I'd say that most will have horns in late October, but will start loosing them fast in mid November.

Posts: 244 | Location: Margaritaville | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aye, a positive report! Cool Smiler

I think I am going to do some camping up in Grand Teton, any good fishing there?

~Ann

one of us
posted Hide Post
Late october should be fine, they start dropping pretty good in November. Last year in late Oct. it was still 75 ish and a few days it hit 80. Cooler is nicer any way, better chance of cooling your antelope out. They will be harder to sneak up on as they have been shot at lots, and hunting pressure usually dies off after the first two weeks. Middle of the week and later in the season, hunting might be pretty enjoyable. thumb Good Luck!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks! thumb

~Ann

Picture of dzpoorjr
posted Hide Post
I didn't draw a antelope buck for the first hunt-but checked and they have 187 tags for the 2nd hunt-October 5th thru the 25th-Question is it worth trying to apply for the 2nd hunt? Thanks in advance!

KILL THEM ALL AND LET GOD SORT THEM OUT!

Posts: 62 | Location: SAFFORD, AZ. | Registered: 22 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does your doe/fawn season run the same time as the later season? If it does, it might work. Which area did you draw? You never told me.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, make it the week of the 16th (Oct) outfitter made a typo so I will be out a bit earlier than thought.

~Ann

one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
The time you are talking now should be fine reguarding horns. By the last few days it changes very fast