New
Find
Notify
Tools

shepherd scopes
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Have any of you used Shepherd Scopes? They have a rather complicated reticle system with circles and hash marks for various ranges. I am wondering if they are as complicated as they look and if they are high quality optics/adjustments/waterproof etc. Thanks, Rufous.

Posts: 224 | Location: Walla Walla, WA 99362 | Registered: 05 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Optic quality is excelent (much better than either of my vari-x 2 Leupolds)
Adjustments are fast and easy, you only move the rings as wind conditions change, leave the main cross hair alone ofter setting your initial zero.
The 'One Shot Zero' system works !!
They are a little busy at first, but easy to get used to.
On mine each circle represents 18" (at that range), the hash mark inside the circle is the aiming point for that range.
Before you select one call Shepherd directly, have your bullet and chronograph information handy, and they will match you up with the exact model to suit your needs (high BC bullets and hot handloads screw up their standard application charts)
I haven't had any problems with mine, but I hear that they will bend over backwards to help you out if any problems should arise.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I own five of them, three were bought new, two were bought used. They will zero in one shot and the optics are excellent. The reticle with the circles is easy to use as a range finder and aiming point for long shots. When I hunt I usually use the adjustable crosshair reticle set at 200 yards. Mine are mounted on my .30-06 and .308 rifles and haven't had any problems. I hunt a lot at night, even in the winter when it is down to 0 degrees f, and never had any fogging or leaks.

Posts: 598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 16 June 2000Reply With Quote