New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bear attack not so rare
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
because I am interisted in them I did a search for them what I found was that there were 28 fatal attacks in the years 2000 thru 2010.

These do not inclued maulings that were not fatal. So Rare yes per number of man hours spent in the woods. but not rare enough for me to stop wearing or carring a firearm when I am out and about.

Your thoughts please

Posts: 19439 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vigilance is critical, properly armed is smart...Bears are a concern, but equally there is other verim to worry about these days.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am thinking that non fatal attacks are around 10 to every one fatal.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many of the survivors of bear attacks are horribly mutilated for life. To not be armed is careless behavior.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Way to many of them around here to not be armed.This time of year I do not worry much.I have three bear dens on my property and check on them once in a while.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
More people are killed by Whitetail Deer.

I would think more about it if I actually saw bear sign while hunting.

When I lived in Alaska anywhere outside was bear country with daily bear sign but hardly ever seeing any bears made me think it the chances of being attacked was slim.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
at least here in wyoming we have 3-6 maulings
a year.last year 2 were fatal.
on the other hand we also have the greatest grizzly bear density of the lower 48.
you damn well better be "bear aware" when
out in the mountains around here.
i depend ALOT on my dog (aussie cattle dog)
he has never met a bear he didn't want to bite in the butt, the scary part of this is "heelers"
are fast, i mean really fast.but he can't catch a g-bear.it still amazes me that a 50 lb dog can
make a 450 lb g-bear "run for their life"
i don't think they are used to anything charging them.
Never, i will say it again, never have i had a bear turn to fight the dog
anybody who spends time in the woods stands a chance of being mauled,i like to think i'm pretty savvy in the woods, but have been feet away from a mauling 3 times.(didn't take the dog)
once from a griz at 12 yds and twice from black bear,so savvy doesn't make the difference.
i guess when its "your turn" it doesn't make any difference what you are packing to defend yourself with, a half dozen of my friends have been mauled by griz and all of them were packin'
and to a man they all said they couldn't get to their pistols in the time of need, it happens too fast.this is a pretty "salty" bunch with yrs of experience and 100s of encounters.
numbers released by our game and fish claim
firearms are 69% effective in defending yourself from a bear attack.
pepper spray is 92% effective.
BUT you still have to be able to get it out in time.
in my opinion, thats the important part of the equasion.

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A man is food to a bear,hell bears will eat bears..in a hand only fight the bear will win..bears are really at the top of the food chain.

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

You'll need your full auto 308 for these vicious little buggers.

Posts: 671 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bears are not the ony reason to be armed. besides I find it just plain nice to have a good firearm handy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A small plane crashed into a huge mountain close to my home in the fog one year,no one knew where the plane went down,no witness or anything,a search went on for several days until the downed plane was spotted and when the rescue guys finally made it to the wreckage ,they discovered that the local blackbear's had allready eaten most of the remains..It was in the local paper but no one ever talks about it...I ofton deer/bear hunted the ridge top very close to where this accident happened, so i knew the area well.
I shot a good size spike way up high at the top.. hunting by myself one morning in that area and quartered and back packed out all the meat with a frame pack,,but left the carcus,innerds and unnessary bones & stuff which amounted to a pretty good size pile of waste...Hiked back up the next morning to hopefully catch a big blackie sniffing around and the whole mess was absolutely clean,,not even a scrape of fat,,,nothing but hair!The bear's had eaten bones and all!
I realized then the ol'bears are a freeking meateating machine!
It was a strange hunt from then on... slipping around there hunting and knowing that the bears in that area had a taste for humans...I don't trust them at all...

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MN Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
because I am interisted in them I did a search for them what I found was that there were 28 fatal attacks in the years 2000 thru 2010.
Your thoughts please

28 fatal attacks in the last 10 years seems like a really high number. What was the source of the information? Did it include the whole world, North America, United States, or just Northern WI?

I do know I do a lot of guiding in Kodiak Alaska and there have only been two people killed by bears there since 1900. Neither was between 2000-2010.

Posts: 245 | Location: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: 07 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Recently coyotes, mountain lions and stray or wild dogs have also been attacking humans. In some areas these attacks have taken place inside city limits.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Apparently feral hogs have been breeding with boar and have become petty nasty and have attacked humans.

Oxon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the number of bear attacks are even higher. In Alaska around 100 people go into the wilderness and are never seen again dead or alive. If you figure most die to weather, drowning, and trauma (plane crash), if just 5% are killed by bears it would more then double the number of fatal bear attacks. Food for thought.

Posts: 35 | Location: Juneau, AK | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MN Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Auke Bay LT:
I think the number of bear attacks are even higher. In Alaska around 100 people go into the wilderness and are never seen again dead or alive. If you figure most die to weather, drowning, and trauma (plane crash), if just 5% are killed by bears it would more then double the number of fatal bear attacks. Food for thought.

Again with the throwing out of facts. I am not saying this is right or wrong I would just like to know where this number of 100 missing people in the wilderness comes from? Also is that per year? Also where are you getting the 5% killed by bears? All of these figures seem high to me.

Just looking for the truth.

Posts: 245 | Location: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: 07 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MN Hunter:
quote:
Your thoughts please

28 fatal attacks in the last 10 years seems like a really high number. What was the source of the information? Did it include the whole world, North America, United States, or just Northern WI?

I do know I do a lot of guiding in Kodiak Alaska and there have only been two people killed by bears there since 1900. Neither was between 2000-2010.

I believe there were five (5) officially recorded fatal brown bear attacks in Alaska from the years 2000 to 2009. Not sure on the number of recorded non-fatal attacks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You may have mis-counted. There are 31 known fatal bear attacks in North America between the year 2000 and the year 2010. Some of the attacks were listed as one incident, but two people were actually killed. An example would be the Treadwell attack on October 5th 2003 in Alaska where both he and his companion were killed. Another example is the couple tent camping along a river in Alaska on June 23rd, 2005. That incident accounted for the two fatalities, plus an unrelated group along with their guide, who were chased by the bear while floating the river past the camp site, and then the same bear I believe attacked those who responded to investigate the incident.

later

one of us
posted Hide Post
Heres the list

bearName, age, gender Date Species Location Description
Brent Kandra, 24, male August 20, 2010 Black Columbia Station, Ohio Kandra was a caretaker for a bear that was held on property where the public had paid to wrestle bears. The bear involved in the attack was not one of the bears used for wrestling, and was out of its cage for feeding. Prior to the attack, the property's owner had his license to exhibit animals revoked, but was still allowed to keep the animals on his property.[6]

[edit] Brown bearName, age, gender Date Species Location Description
Kevin Kammer, 48, male 02010-07-28July 28, 2010 Brown Gallatin National Forest Kammer was sleeping in his tent at Soda Butte Campground when a mother bear attacked and dragged him 25 feet (7.6 m) away. Two other tents in separate campsites were also attacked: a teenager was bitten in the leg, and a woman was bitten in the arm and leg. The bear was caught in a trap set at the campground using pieces of a culvert and Kammert's tent.[7] The bear was later euthanized, and her cubs were sent to ZooMontana.[8] The mother bear's unusual behavior of attacking campers was noted by authorities.[8]
Erwin Frank Evert, 70, male 02010-06-17June 17, 2010 Brown Shoshone National Forest Evert, a field botanist, was mauled by a grizzly bear in the Kitty Creek Drainage area of the Shoshone National Forest, just east of Yellowstone National Park. The bear was trapped and tranquilized hours before, as part of a Grizzly Bear research team. Later, the bear was shot and killed from a helicopter by wildlife officials.[9]
Initially it was reported that Evert ignored posted warnings to avoid the area due to the potential danger involved with the bear research.[9] However, the sheriff's deputy who recovered the body and members of Evert's family stated that the warning signs were no longer present.[10]A report released the following month confirmed that the warning signs were removed, though it also asserted that Evert knew there was a bear research study being conducted in the area.[11]

[edit] 2000s[edit] Black bearName, age, gender Date Species Location Description
Kelly Ann Walz, 37, female 02009-10-04October 4, 2009 Black Ross Township, Pennsylvania Walz, whose husband had an expired license to keep exotic animals, was attacked while cleaning her bear's cage. She tried to distract the bear by throwing dog food to the opposite end of the cage. A neighbor shot and killed the bear.[12][13]
Donna Munson, 74, female 02009-08-06August 6, 2009 Black Ouray, Colorado Munson had been feeding bears for a decade, and was repeatedly warned by wildlife officials. After a bear got injured in a fight with an older and bigger bear, Munson left food out to help the injured bear. The older bear came back to Munson's property, forced its way past a wire fence, and mauled Munson. Wildlife officials killed two bears on Munson's property. One of the bears had a necropsy which revealed evidence that it consumed Munson.[14][15]
Cecile Lavoie, 70, female 02008-05-30May 30, 2008 Black Near La Sarre, Quebec After Lavoie didn't return to her cabin following a solo fishing outing, her husband went looking for her. He found a bear dragging her body into the woods.[16]
Robin Kochorek, 31, female 02007-07-20July 20, 2007 Black Panorama Mountain Resort, British Columbia Kochorek was reported missing after mountain biking. A black bear was found near her corpse the morning after her dissapearance. The bear was shot on site by The RCMP.[17]
Samuel Evan Ives, 11, male 02007-06-17June 17, 2007 Black Uinta National Forest in Utah Ives was grabbed from a family tent in American Fork Canyon, and mauled. State wildlife officials killed the bear, which had entered the campsite the night before.[18] Ives' family are attempting a lawsuit versus the U.S. Forest Service because there was no warning about the bear's presence.[19][20]
Elora Petrasek, 6, female 02006-04-13April 13, 2006 Black Cherokee National Forest, Tennessee The bear attacked the family at a waterfall near a campground. Petrasek's mother and brother were also injured. The bear was trapped and killed, and an unrelated bear was mistakenly killed.[21][22][23]
Jacqueline Perry, 30, female 02005-09-06September 6, 2005 Black Missinaibi Lake Provincial Park, Ontario Perry was killed in a attack at their remote campsite. Her husband was seriously injured trying to protect her. Ministry of Forest staff shot and killed the bear near the area where the fatal attack occurred.[24]
Harvey Robinson, 69, male 02005-08-26August 26, 2005 Black Selkirk, Manitoba Robinson was fatally mauled while picking plums north of Winnipeg, Manitoba. Robinson's family were exploring the site with a RCMP officer later that day, and were also attacked. The officer shot and killed the bear.[25]
Merlyn Carter, 71, male 02005-06-14June 14, 2005 Black 270 kilometres southeast of Yellowknife, Northwest Territories Carter, a pilot, was found dead in the main cabin of his fishing camp. Carter's son came to the cabin the day after the attack, and shot and killed the bear.[26]
Maurice Malenfant, 77, male 02002-09-29September 29, 2002 Black Saint-Zénon-du-Lac-Humqui, Quebec Malenfant was attacked in his campsite in the Gaspé region of Quebec.[27][28]
Christopher Bayduza, 31, male 02002-09-01September 1, 2002 Black near Fort Nelson, British Columbia After going for a walk behind a trailer, Bayduza was attacked at a remote oil rigging site in northeastern British Columbia.[29][30]
Ester Schwimmer, 5 months, female 02002-08-19August 19, 2002 Black Fallsburg, New York A bear knocked Schwimmer from her stroller, which was near the porch of her family's vacation home. Then, the bear carried the infant in its mouth to the woods. Schwimmer died of neck and head injuries.[31]
Adelia Maestras Trujillo, 93, female 02001-08-18August 18, 2001 Black Mora, New Mexico A bear broke through a glass pane to gain entry into Trujillo's house and killed her. Trujillo's body was found in her kitchen. The bear was shot a half mile from the house.[32]
Kyle Harry, 18, male 02001-06-03June 3, 2001 Black 25 km. east of Yellowknife, Northwest Territories Harry was attacked while with a a group at a rural campsite 25 kilometres (16 mi) east of Yellowknife in the Northwest Territories, Canada.[33]
Mary Beth Miller, 24, female 02000-07-02July 2, 2000 Black near Valcartier, Quebec Miller was attacked while on a biathalon training run in a wooded area on a military base. The bear was trapped and killed four days later.[2][34]
Glenda Ann Bradley, 50, female 02000-05-21May 21, 2000 Black Great Smoky Mountains National Park Bradley was attacked and partially consumed by a mother bear and a cub, 1.5 miles (2.4 km) upstream from Elkmont, Tennessee. It was the first fatal bear attack in a southeastern U.S. National Park. The bears were shot and killed by park rangers while hovering over Bradley's corpse.[2][35]

[edit] Brown bearName, age, gender Date Species Location Description
Robert Wagner, 48, male 02008-10-01October 1, 2008 Brown near Sundre, Alberta Wagner was reported missing after not returning from a hunting trip. His body was found less than 1-kilometre (0.62 mi) from his parked truck. An autopsy revealed that he had been killed by a grizzly bear, which was shot by wildlife officers.[36][37]
Stephan Miller, 39, male 02008-04-22April 22, 2008 Brown Big Bear Lake, California A bear trained to perform in movies turned on its handler, fatally biting him in the neck. Prior to the attack, the bear was featured in the movie Semi-Pro. Pepper Spray was used to subdue the bear, and no further injuries were reported.[38] Ultimately, the bear was not euthanized.[39]
Don Peters, 51, male 02007-11-25November 25, 2007 Brown near Sundre, Alberta Peters' body was found 200 metres (660 ft) from his parked truck. He was on a hunting trip. An autopsy confirmed that he died due to a grizzly bear attack. The bear that attacked Peters was captured and killed the following April.[40][41]
Jean-Francois Pagé, 28, male 02006-04-28April 28, 2006 Brown near Ross River, Yukon Pagé was mauled while staking mineral claims. He unknowingly walked right past a bear den containing a sow and two cubs.[42]
Arthur Louie, 60, male 02005-09-20September 20, 2005 Brown near The Bowron River, British Columbia A female and two cubs attacked Louie on a remote forestry road. He was walking back to his gold mining camp after his car broke down.[43][44]
Rich Huffman, 61, male
Kathy Huffman, 58, female 02005-06-23June 23, 2005 Brown Arctic National Wildlife Refuge They were attacked while in their tent at a campsite along the Hulahula river 12 miles (19 km) upriver from Kaktovik.[45] Two days later the campsite was discovered by three rafters while the bear was still nearby. The bear chased the rafters down the river for over half a mile until it finally gave up. Later, a North Slope Borough Police officer investigating the scene shot and killed the bear at the campsite.[46]
Isabelle Dube, 35, female 02005-06-05June 5, 2005 Brown Canmore, Alberta Dube was killed while jogging with two friends on the Bench Trail. After an initial attack, Dube climbed a tree while her friends sought help. The bear brought Dube down from the tree and mauled her. A few days beforehand, the bear had been relocated from Canmore to Banff National Park.[47][48]
Fish and wildlife officers shot and killed the bear.[48] At the time of the attack, the trail was closed, and the public was told to avoid it.[49]

Timothy Treadwell, 46, male
Amie Huguenard, 37, female 02003-10-05October 5, 2003 Brown Katmai National Park They were found by their pilot at Kaflia Bay. Treadwell was world-famous for his books and documentaries on living with wild bears in Alaska. State Troopers investigating the incident recovered an audiotape of the attack. Only a few days before, Treadwell filmed himself with the bear that killed him in the background, while commenting that it was a bear just like this one — older, struggling to bulk up for the winter — that posed the most threat to humans. The two were killed on the last night before their scheduled pickup, after spending several months in the Alaskan bush.[50] The attack is chronicled in the 2005 American documentary film Grizzly Man by German director Werner Herzog.
Timothy Hilston, 50, male 02001-10-30October 30, 2001 Brown Blackfoot-Clearwater Wildlife Management Area Hilston was attacked as he was gutting an elk in Western Montana.[51]
George Tullos, 41, male 02000-07-14July 14, 2000 Brown Hyder, Alaska Tullos' partially consumed body was found at Run Amuck campground, near the Canadian border in Southeast Alaska. The bear was shot and killed.[52]

one of us
posted Hide Post
GaryVA funny video

One of Us
Picture of MN Hunter
posted Hide Post
Well p dog shooter that is quite a long list. And while I am still curious where you got it from I don't want to debate these poor folks who tragically lost there lives.

I do find it interesting that if you break it down there is 11 fatal brown bear attacks and 15 fatal black bear attacks and 0 fatal polar bear attacks. This seems impossible to me. So I guess I still think your source is not completely reliable but now because it seems too low a number.

It is also interesting to me that according to your list while there were 12 deaths in the US by bear attack in the last 10 years the there were 41 people who died from being struck by lightning in that same time period according to the NOAA website. http://www.weather.gov/os/hazstats.shtml http://www.weather.gov/os/hazstats.shtml

So if everyone is concerned enough to pack heat in the woods for bears are they also concerned enough to stay inside when it rains?

Maybe Ravenr had it right when he said "i guess when its "your turn" it doesn't make any difference what you are packing"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Again with the throwing out of facts. I am not saying this is right or wrong I would just like to know where this number of 100 missing people in the wilderness comes from? Also is that per year? Also where are you getting the 5% killed by bears? All of these figures seem high to me.
quote:

The facts: 3,323 people reported missing in the state last year, not a record but far higher, relative to population, than anywhere else in the country. On average, 5 of every 1,000 people go missing every year, roughly double the national rate. Since Alaska began tracking the numbers in 1988, police have received at least 60,700 reports of missing people, about 1,100 people remain lost. So many people vanish in Alaska a large swath of the state has been dubbed Alaskan Bermuda Triangle. (LA times) People have been vanishing here for so long even the native Alaska Tlingit Indians that live near Juneau have integrated this peculiar mystery into their religious culture. They believe an evil spirit named Kushtaka, a cross between a man and an otter, captures people who have drowned or gotten lost, whisking them away to his realm never to be seen again.

My point was some of those that are missing where killed by bears. How many is just a guess I chose 5%.

Posts: 35 | Location: Juneau, AK | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MN Hunter I just did a search on google of fatal bear attacks and found this list on Wikipedia.

Lots of info out there if one just searchs for it.

Anohter listing was wolf attacks.

As I state before bears are just one of reasons to carry. i take the standard precations during lighting storms also.

one of us
posted Hide Post
We have been feed the BS by the anti's for so long that when the facts show that bears do wolves do kill and eat people we don't want to belive it.

After all they are just freindly furry forest critters doing what friendly furry forest critters do. And it is all mans fault if they ever attack a person.

We are meat just like any other prey and at the right time and place they well eat us if not stopped.

One of Us
Picture of MN Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
MN Hunter I just did a search on google of fatal bear attacks and found this list on Wikipedia.

Lots of info out there if one just searchs for it.

Anohter listing was wolf attacks.

As I state before bears are just one of reasons to carry. i take the standard precations during lighting storms also.

p dog shooter- Google searches and Wikipedia are exactly why I question facts because they are unreliable especially for statistics.

One of Us
Picture of MN Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
We have been feed the BS by the anti's for so long that when the facts show that bears do wolves do kill and eat people we don't want to belive it.

After all they are just freindly furry forest critters doing what friendly furry forest critters do. And it is all mans fault if they ever attack a person.

We are meat just like any other prey and at the right time and place they well eat us if not stopped.

This is very true. Predators by definition are killing machines. The idea that because Disney makes a movie about a bear or a killer whale they are all soft and cuddly is ridiculous. They try to kill something each and every day.

But statistically there is a very very very small chance of you or me being killed by one here in the midwest. Especially killer whales Cool

One of Us
Picture of MN Hunter
posted Hide Post
Auke Bay LT - I am not saying that you made these numbers up just asking where you got them from?

The facts: 3,323 people reported missing in the state last year, not a record but far higher, relative to population, than anywhere else in the country. On average, 5 of every 1,000 people go missing every year, roughly double the national rate. Since Alaska began tracking the numbers in 1988, police have received at least 60,700 reports of missing people, about 1,100 people remain lost. So many people vanish in Alaska a large swath of the state has been dubbed Alaskan Bermuda Triangle. (LA times) People have been vanishing here for so long even the native Alaska Tlingit Indians that live near Juneau have integrated this peculiar mystery into their religious culture. They believe an evil spirit named Kushtaka, a cross between a man and an otter, captures people who have drowned or gotten lost, whisking them away to his realm never to be seen again.

My point was some of those that are missing where killed by bears. How many is just a guess I chose 5%.[/QUOTE]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go here for more info on black bear attacks:

www.bigbores.ca

This is my personal report from just last season in my area. This is NOT a study nor a complete picture by any stretch of the imagination.

Bob

"Let every created thing give praise to the LORD, for he issued his command, and they came into being" - King David, Psalm 148 (NLT)

Posts: 848 | Location: Kawartha Lakes, ONT, Canada | Registered: 21 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Auke Bay LT:

Lots of things out there, besides bears, that kill people. Stupidity probably plays a way bigger role than bears. How can you arrive at an accurate percentage, if you don't compare it to the total number of people, actually involved? Of course there's always the element of chance and you don't have to go to Alaska. Cell phone coverage disappears very rapidly in western Alberta. This man was killed by a grizz, in a settled, agricultural area, about 2 miles from here.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MN Hunter all the attacks listed I am sure were comfirmed by News paper articles ect. If you do a search on each one of them you well find confirmmation.

In MN there as been black bear attacks .

The bear I Killed in the BWCA this year most likely bit some one the day before. How do I konw I talked with the person who was bit and saw the bite marks and talked with other who were there at the time. The bear I killed was not afraid of people and was near the camp site where she was bitten and had been causing trouble all summer in the area. Did she report it I do not know the bite marks were minor.

I have spent well over 50 some years camping hiking hunting ect in bear country. From AK,Canada to many states out west. I have lived in bear country my whole life. I put up with blk bears on a regular basis around my home. I have only one other bear come into camp and cause trouble. I have had to back several bears down over the years. They did the right thing and left other wise I would have shot them.

If I hadn't been armed and able to show them who was in control would they have back down and ran away who knows. But when a bear is 20 30 yards away poping its teeth I was glad I was armed.

You can belive what you want bears are just one of the reasons to be armed out in the woods.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting post. With a North American population of 528,000,000 people, and another 800,000 bears (black and grizzly), you're bound to have conflict between the two.

5 people are killed in the U.S. each year by vending machines. That's way more than bears. Any ideas out there where to shoot a vending machine to stop a vicious attack? What would be a decent caliber?

Posts: 101 | Location: Somewhere between Canada and Mexico | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't recomend shooting vending machine because moving out of the of the falling machine is the best advoidance.

Because people who are killed by vending machines are prine exsamples of people who should be awarded a darwin award. Attacking a vending machine to get your money back or drink is really dumb that is when they fall over and kill people

If you go up to a bear and kick it in the nose and it kills you your trouble same with kicking a vending machine and it falls over and kills you.

You should do a litle more reseach on bear attacks and you wil find out that fair number of the are predatory they belive you are good to eat.

Don't belive the anti's BS that they are just freindly furry forest critters that just do what freindly furry critters do.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have lived around bears my whole life, and have a healthy respect for them. I guess my point is, bear attacks, whether predatory or not, are so rare you should not live your whole life paranoid about being attacked.
I guess if packing heat makes you feel better, fine. Being in the woods with a large predator is what makes a place feel wild to me, if you don't like it, maybe you should move to Disneyland.
I would gladly end my days as dinner for a bear that die a slow death from cancer or lose my marbles in some home due to alzheimer's. Unfortunately, I have a better chance of being killed by a bumble bee or struck by lightening.

Posts: 101 | Location: Somewhere between Canada and Mexico | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thebear_78:

You'll need your full auto 308 for these vicious little buggers.

Or a good pair of boots! rotflmo

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36862 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote