Find
Notify
Tools

New Mexico antelope hunt location
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted
Now that we have the caliber question thoroughly commented upon, what opinions and experience do you have with non-resident antelope hunts in New Mexico?

Their A-PLUS system looks pretty good on their website. I am looking for a buck over 15", and NM looks like a great place to do that hunt.

My wife and I did a road trip though parts of the state this summer, and we saw lots of antelope.

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I don't know much about NM myself, but I've been wanting to antelope hunt there. If you want company, let me know. Big Grin

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
I have hunted pronghorn on numerous occasions in New Mexico and even guided there for a few years. One of the problems for drawing a non resident tag is New Mexico's landowner tag policy. Some of the best locations, and they are scattered throughout the state, are on privately owned ranches to whom large numbers of tags are issued. Those tags are bought up by outfitters who then sell fully guided hunts. That's just the way it is. Good hunts, good quality. I am not saying that there are not good critters on available public land but those tags are hard to come by.

My suggestion would be to call NMF&G and get some ideas from them as to the areas that offer the greatest opportunity.

If you like I could direct you to one reliable and very successful outfitter. I will not name him here directly because I do have a bias in favor of him and his ability to produce. Send me a private post but note that I will be gone for two weeks starting this Wednesday.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
pm sent

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
NM has some great antelope but very hard to draw. Im a rsident and havent drawn in twelve years. Get a good outfitter. Their are some really good areas and some really bad areas genetically speaking. If you have problems choosing an area email me and I'll point you.

Its been a hell of a party Woodrow

Posts: 46 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
I sent a PM to billinthewild, it turns out that we know each other. That is an AR small world surprise!

jim

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
I also checked with NRA's Whittington Center. They run antelope hunts at $4,000, and there is a waiting list.

I talked to a guy who hunted with them, and the price is "all inclusive": he got a trophy antelope on an adjoining ranch.

jim

posted Hide Post
man I live in N.M. and i wouldnt give that much for all the damn goats in the whole state

Posts: 23 | Location: Logan N.M. | Registered: 01 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Richard,

I intend to at least apply for a tag from the drawing.

jim