New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is it possible???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
K everybody, here's the deal. My stepfather turns 60 in August, and my mom wants to buy him a hunt. Problem is she figures she can spend 2k, which to her is a lot of money. Is it possible to get any big game hunts for that much money?

the type of thing he would like would be:

any of the sheep, caribou or moose. He doesn't like hunts where you show up and walk a little ways and it is just standing there. And he is in remarkably good shape for his age so can handle most hunting situations (my brothers and myself are all in our 20's and we try to keep up with him). So he would prefer one where there was some work involved. If it matters he is an excellent shot so doesn't have to be put five yards from target.

I saw a link to this outfitter http://www.ontariooutdoors.net/twinbear/moose.html

they have guided hunts for 1500 bucks. Anybody dealt with them before? And I have never been on a paid hunt, they say price is for four, will outfitters put you in with a group if it's just you?

None of us could afford to go with him. :-)

thanks everyone.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
If he is in good shape, and an experienced hunter, giving him a drop camp hunt might be a good suggestion? That way, a good bit under two grand will buy him a stocked camp in a good area, and all he has to do is kill the critter and get it ready to go. Just a thought? Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dutch, I ran across one described like that. They drop you in and you have food and beds all that, they check on you every two days and you have a radio to communicate with the pilots. I will do more searchs for that type of hunt too. The above link also offers a less expensive hunt where yoiu get the use of a boat for traversing the lake and they give you maps and tell you spots to hunt and you are on your own, then they help you pack it out.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
Dago:

Since you're in Central California, I understand there are black bear hunts down your way in the price range you're talking about. There are elk hunts in the area as well, and one could shoot a lot of pigs for that kind of money!

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Had a friend book a "drop camp" hunt and when he showed up they had him blended in with three other hunters. When he insisted he wanted to be by himself, the outfitter refused to do it. The outfitter refunded him his money pretty much on the spot. The outfitter had concerns about one guy by himself. While I feel that my friend had more than adequite skills, I can see the outfitters side also. You might consider the same issues with you Dad. Regardless of how fit he is, 60 is still 60. For the 1500, you ought to be able to let at least one son go along. Maybe the other brothers can kick in a little and make a drawing of it to see who gets to go along.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote