Find
Notify
Tools

Scouting for an outfitter
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted
Having one bad experience with a Brown Bear hunt I am now wondering how can I do more homework before the next one. Are there statistics on various areas in Alaska that can be accessed? Once you figure out where to hunt- how do you find the best outfitter? Once you find the outfitter how do you get his best guide and his best area. Taking pot luck at this game is very expensive. One could hunt a couple of times in Africa for the price of one Brown Bear hunt - there must be a better way.

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You could try booking a hunt through a consultant.I have done this and have never had a bad experience.Some even notify you of cancellations that offer great price reductions if you can go on shorter notice.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Can't beat his advice. I have a great Brown Bear area if you are interestd in trying again.

Like outfitters not all agents are alike. Get plenty of references.

[ 08-09-2002, 23:37: Message edited by: Buffalobwana ]

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I book hunts for Phil Shomaker, gun editor for Rifle and Handloader magazine..Phil has the best territory in Alaska and 100% success on big bears. Phil and his family live on this concession year around in a cabin and he is in touch with the bears daily...He does not hunt his country heavy and keeps his trophy quality up.. His clients shot the 3 largest bear in alaska and two world records two years running....If interrested contact me at atkhunt@mindspring.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've had two extremely good bear hunts with Glacier Guides, Inc. Jim Rosenbruch hunts S.E. Alaska for both black and brown bears, taking numerous book bears in either specie. He's been in business for many years and will give you a great hunt.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote