New
Find
Notify
Tools

Richard's Micro-Fit Rip Off
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm sorry to post this here and in the Gunsmithing forum but folks need to see this. hopefully someone will be spared the headache of dealing with this company

I know we all get tired of seeing the flame posts that trash a company because they got a product that didn't work or was not as it was advertised. This post is a bit different because it involves deliberate deceit by a company. on December the 8th I ordered a Claro Walnut stock for my Weatherby Mark 5. Richard's had them on sale and I needed a winter project. The stock came this evening and I was shocked when I took it out of the very poor packing job. The stock has been cut just under the cheek piece along the length of the butt stock and then another piece glued in its place. The holes drilled in the butt stock for the recoil pad screws look like they had been drilled with a pocket knife. The trigger area had been over inletted and then plugged and glued with a piece of dark Wood that was very rough. And then upon looking at the grip area, it to had been cut off about an inch above the rosewood grip cap. What in the hell is with that company? Are rifle stocks now being made similar to jig-saw puzzle or maybe toy models? I called Richards and was very polite as I thought maybe this was a stock that got shipped by mistake. the girl who answered the phone was baffled and gave the call to a real smart ass punk in the shop. He informed me that it was not cut but it was just a line left over from the shaping. I asked about the glue bubbles that had oozed out along the cut when it was fixed and he said " Hey look man, if you no like da stock, you send it back and we look at it". I think I'll keep it as an example to others to not travel the path that I did. Sorry for the rant folks, I just hate getting screwed. If the pics don't come Through, MSG me and I'll email them to you.

Joe

[image]http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php?photo=86658&sort=7&thecat=500&password=[/image]

[image]http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php?photo=86664&sort=7&thecat=500&password=[/image]

[image]http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php?photo=86665&sort=7&thecat=500&password=[/image]

[image]http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php?photo=86666&sort=7&thecat=500&password=[/image]

[image]http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php?photo=86670&sort=7&thecat=500&password=[/image]

[image]http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php?photo=86672&sort=7&thecat=500&password=[/image]

[image]http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php?photo=86673&sort=7&thecat=500&password=[/image]

[image]http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php?photo=86674&sort=7&thecat=500&password=[/image]

Posts: 263 | Location: Where ever Bush sends me | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If they agreed to take it back, and they did, just send it back. Otherwise, the only person you have to blame for being PO'd is you.

Thanks for the heads-up on the company.

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Painted Horse
posted Hide Post
I bought a stock from them 18 months ago and I was very pleased with it.

Give them a chance to make it right for you. If they don't then you have every right to complain.

Posts: 232 | Location: Utah | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just thought I would help the process!

Posts: 96 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 21 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Call Richard's back and ask to speak to the highest officer of the company available at the time. Describe the defects, and relate the poor customer service you've received from the 'punk'.

Then, send it back care of the person you spoke with via registered mail, with Delivery Confirmation. Affix a detailed letter, and place yellow Post-Its at the defects.

Two or three days after they receive it, call that person back, and find out how they are going to make it right.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i'm unhappy with the stock I bought from them.sent it back once, will do rest of work to it myself.

Posts: 310 | Location: middle tennesse | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
UPDATE

So far I have received several Emails and phone calls from the folks at Richard's. seems the good members of AR have flooded them with emails and they are a tad worried about their sales. They have openly admitted that the stock was a mistake and are replacing and upgrading it. They are paying the shipping for the piece of firewood they sent me to be returned and the freight for the new stock to be shipped to me. The service I have received from the management has been prompt and courteous. When the new stock is received, I will post pics of it and I'm hopeful that it will be a damn sight better than the first attempt. Thanks for helping out folks, I really appreciate it.

Joe

Posts: 263 | Location: Where ever Bush sends me | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Just thought I would help the process!

I wouldn't take that stock if someone gave it to me for free.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I HAVE A RICHARDS LAMINATED STOCK ON MY SAV 22-250 . IT WAS A FUN PROJECT TO FINISH VERY PLEASED WITH MINE hunt101.com

Posts: 181 | Location: virginia,usa | Registered: 07 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
May be you got one of their seconds by mistake unless thats what you ordered... What grade did you order?

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ivan, I ordered select grade. I'm just a little shocked that this stock is even a second. If the stock is resold and installed on anything that recoils with much force, don't you think it would split? I have never had any experience with glued stocks. They are replacing the stock and upgrading it for me. Lets hope the next one is all one piece and not an amalgam of wood.

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Hmm..looks like they sent you a chunk from the firewood pile by mistake!

I have a Richard's Microfit laminate on my 416 Taylor, which turned out quite nicely. My gunsmith did say that their "semi-inletting" looked like it had been done by an angry beaver though!

GeorgeS's advice is perfect, btw. I hope they make it right for you.

Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I bought two last year from the seconds list and I am quite happy for the money. The "exhibition claro" for a Classic CZ 416 550 has a small knot in the butt which will disappear when finished and the wood, while very very pretty, would not be exhibition in a tough contest. All in all it is a great piece for under $200. The other is another 416 CZ Classic in brown laminate. It has a pad, ebony fore end and grip cap. The only error on the stock is that the fore end was glued on without shortening the end so it is roughly under the barrel band. A saw and a little work will make it right and it was under $120. These two won't win awards as is but if I'm willing to put in the work they can be made very servicable rifles. When you know that "you get what you pay for" and you know what you paid, its hard to get pissed.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote