THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: Best camo pattern for West central Texas?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Best camo pattern for West central Texas?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
To blend into west central Texas, I wear jeans, work boots, a T-shirt with the arms cut off and a sweat-stained hat. Add a newish Ford F-250 with a Haliburton parking sticker and I'm set.

Conditions can vary wildly in Texas. I still-hunt on the Edwards plateau, which is higher and drier than where you'll be, and I prefer solid colors to store-bought camo. I wear a mix of pale green for the grass and a dustier, darker green for the cedar. You could also call the folks where you'll hunt, or do a Google search for pictures of the scenery around there and try to match it. Again, the conditions vary hugely. You might use hardwood patterns for the creek bottoms one day and one of the lighter brown wetland patterns for the hilltops the next. As a rule, the later in the year, the darker I go, as I'm more likely to get rain then, and rain darkens everything.

Hope this helps, Okie John.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Befus, my own views on camoflage is this: It doesn't matter what you look like, so long as you don't look like what you really are. This is born out in nature as well. The first thing eyes pick up is MOVEMENT. I think you could go hunting dressed as a fire hydrant and as long as you didn't move around where the deer could see you, it would be fine. Just hope there are no dogs around.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of befus
posted Hide Post
I have almost all hardwoods patterns. Will be hunting in Knox County Texas (Benjimen) some this year. Mesquite, wheat, much drier than here. Is there a camo pattrn which might be a better fit for that kind of country? Or will the hardwoods varieties (Mossy Oak Break Up, Realtree Hardwoods)do? TIA.

Posts: 241 | Location: Beautiful NW Arkansas | Registered: 27 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I grew up around North west texas. We wore jeans and shirts. thats it !! I've kill alot of good deer in jeans. Where are you hunting in B.J.. The Spikebox???

Ed

Posts: 88 | Location: Texas/colorado | Registered: 02 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wrap yourself in aluminum foil and paint a Pearl beer logo on your side. The deer will walk right by you.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I hunt similar country up here I wear somewhat worn carharts.
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you worry too much. Of equal concern might be what flavor Chapstick you'll be wearing.

What you have is fine. The same camo I use in East, West, North and South Texas also killed everything I shot at in Canada, South Africa, New Mexico, Venezuela and Colorado.

Posts: 13819 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
Jeans and a solid shirt in any earthtone color will do the trick. Unless, that is, you're bowhunting or after turkey in the Spring. If that is, indeed, the case, then go ahead and break out all the sniper duds.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of befus
posted Hide Post
Some of you guys need to remember that everyone likes a little ass, but no one likes a smartass ).

Hunting deer, hogs, quail, turkey, and whatever else moves. Decent area for deer???

Posts: 241 | Location: Beautiful NW Arkansas | Registered: 27 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Get a can of yellow spray paint and cover yourself from head to toes. Then stand somewhere in the open and make a low, sorta humming, "whirrrrring" sound. Deer will walk right up to you and likely try to take a bite, too. -TONY

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Benjamin, just south of Crowell and the Pease River isn't it. Actually the realtree brown should work. I expect the ground will be primarily reddish clay and certainly few to zero hardwoods. What will be your primary quarry? Great quail hunting in wet years which this has been. Also those 6' rattlers love that sandy soil in that area. Good hunting.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
What Pecos said......the pattern does not matter as long it breaks up your outline. Just be still and work the wind...

Good Hunting,

Bob

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Befus, I hope you'll take the joking around here in the spirit it was intended. You DID come with a simple, honest question. And we should give you an honest answer. In a way, we did.

Motion is the killer with animals. You move. They see it.

I seriously played with camo many years ago and came away with the firm conviction that it doesn't much matter what you look like...so long as it's not a man with a gun out hunting.

How animals react also has a lot to do with how hungry or distracted by other things they are.

I've got one old moth eaten camo jacket and it works for about everything...if I get my butt still.

Wear whatever is most comfortable and don't sweat the small stuff. Many animals pay more attention to what they SMELL or what they HEAR than they do to what they see. This sounds impossible to us because we are about 90% sight oriented...but they aren't.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote