New
Find
Notify
Tools

Idaho Moose
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well got my Shiras bull on day 2 of season. It was friday before Labor Day. Shot him with my 338 Ultra and a 225 Accubond with 96 grains of RL25.Shot was 30 yards. We had a long 100 yards pack out to the truck.
My wife took hers last saturday beating my bull by 4 inches. (42 inches) This was her first kill and she was really hyped. She was using a Remmy Model 7 and 150 grain TSX loaded in front of 40.5 grains of Varget. Shot was 157 yards. I had m doubts about the caliber but she put him down in his tracks. We hooked some nylon straps and pulled him up on the road. Both were great hunts! They were killed a month apart and we hunted about 70 square mile area and beleive it or not in the end they were dropped about 300 yards apart.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good job to the both of you!!! Looks like you will be set with some good meat for awhile.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats to both of you on your pair of Shiras'! That's quite an accomplishment on multiple fronts. (draw odds, and harvest odds!)

I lived in Idaho Falls for many years and plan to retire back on my land in Island Park. What unit did you two draw your tags from? - Bill

You may fool the whole world down the pathway of years
And get pats on the back as you pass.
But your final reward will be heartache and tears
If you've cheated the man in the glass

Posts: 49 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: 23 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Wow! Now that's a lot of meat! Both are great looking bulls.

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Earlybugle:
What unit did you two draw your tags from? - Bill

Bill they were both taken northwest of Sandpoint on Roman Nose creek. Unit 1-2. Unit one is broken up in 3 or for moose units. Unit 1-1 has more permits and moose but I think the nicest moose are in 1-2. We probably saw 100 in a month and these were the 2 largest bulls that we caught out. the big ones are there, just have to find them. Last year while bear hunting I saw some 50 inchers but they eluded us this year.
Now we have to wait for 2 years and we can apply for cow tags. These were our once in a lifetime bulls.

They were about the size we were looking for hoping that they wouldnt be to tough. Had many moose hunters tell us the bigger the tougher and we like to eat.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply. I'd dare say there may not be a household in ID with a better pair of Shiras. Congats to you guyz! - Bill

You may fool the whole world down the pathway of years
And get pats on the back as you pass.
But your final reward will be heartache and tears
If you've cheated the man in the glass

Posts: 49 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: 23 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on two "once in a lifetime" trophies! I've always wanted a Shiras but the way my luck has been running I need to head to B.C. and do it OTC there.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote