Find
Notify
Tools

Roadtrip up the US West Coast!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi everybody,

sorry, didnt know where else to post this, as I havent found a travel section so far.

I am on a road trip through the western US with a buddy of mine. We made it from San Diego to San Francisco so far. Up to now we had an absolut blast, met tons of fantastic people, even did some great range shooting in Arizona. Now we are wondering what to do and where to go next in this huge country of yours...

We got a car and three weeks to go north to Vancouver. So any inside input would be greatly appreciated since our guide books only cover the standard tourist routes. Is there any hunting season at the moment? Any varminting going on? What are the prime places to go, people to see, things to do?

Thanks very much for your help folks - looking forward to any comment,

elwood.

Posts: 337 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can look into some pig or bear hunting in Calfornia, I do not know of anyone personally but I believe there a several outfitters in that area. Or if you are on the coast do some deep sea fishing.
Have fun

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Elwood, you already passed by me already on your way up to San Francisco. Too bad, we could have got you out for some varmint shooting while the weather was nice.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12625 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Elwood,

Ground squirrels are out in Southern Oregon, in the Klamath Falls area and in the Lakeview area, along with in No California, near Dorris and Alturas in Modoc & Siskiyou counties on the Oregon border...

With all the rain, accesss to some fields may be a problem, as the farmers don't want their roads torn up...

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Elwood, My wife and I are currently staying at the Stephanie Inn on Cannon Beach in Oregon. This place is fabulous and the area is terrific. Food is fantastic, and well It's worth the trip, or stop over. The scenery is as good as it gets, and well have a great trip.
All smiles here..........................
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Turkey opens in washington on the 15th, some hunting in western washington but eastern (or better north eastern) much better. The trip from coast to NE washington a good one , you go from coastal rain forest thru desert, farm pratie, to pine forest in 4-5 hours

Posts: 129 | Location: Darrington Washington | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
Elwood, you already passed by me already on your way up to San Francisco. Too bad, we could have got you out for some varmint shooting while the weather was nice.

Ah, what a shame! But thanks for the offer anyway - should we get sick of the northern coast, then we'll give you a shout!

Cheers,

elwood.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire/B17G:
Elwood,

Ground squirrels are out in Southern Oregon, in the Klamath Falls area and in the Lakeview area, along with in No California, near Dorris and Alturas in Modoc & Siskiyou counties on the Oregon border...

With all the rain, accesss to some fields may be a problem, as the farmers don't want their roads torn up...

cheers
seafire
cheers

Hi seafire, thanks for your reply. Is there anyway a foreigner like me could do some varminting? Are there outfitters for it? Can you recommend one?

We will be staying in Klamath a couple of days, so if you are in the vicinity let me know - beer's on us!

Cheers,

elwood.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Elwood,

I live on the I-5 side of the Cascades... but I have access to about 4700 acres east of Klamath Falls, to go sage rat shooting... No license is really needed as it is predator control on private property....

There is no charge on that, and the cost of an outfitter would not be needed....I would be happy to make the arrangements and come over to take you out in the field...

Do you have varmint caliber rifles with you? if not, I can set you up with some....not fancy German stuff, would have to be lowly American stuff... but it still works quite well....

PM me if I can be of assistance....

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 308Sako:
Elwood, My wife and I are currently staying at the Stephanie Inn on Cannon Beach in Oregon. This place is fabulous and the area is terrific. Food is fantastic, and well It's worth the trip, or stop over. The scenery is as good as it gets, and well have a great trip.
All smiles here..........................
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Sako 308: if you are going to be down southern oregon way, and are into a little sage rat shooting.. drop me a PM.. I should be able to set ya up....

cheers
seafire
cheers

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire/B17G:
Elwood,

I live on the I-5 side of the Cascades... but I have access to about 4700 acres east of Klamath Falls, to go sage rat shooting... No license is really needed as it is predator control on private property....

There is no charge on that, and the cost of an outfitter would not be needed....I would be happy to make the arrangements and come over to take you out in the field...

Do you have varmint caliber rifles with you? if not, I can set you up with some....not fancy German stuff, would have to be lowly American stuff... but it still works quite well....

PM me if I can be of assistance....

cheers
seafire
cheers

Seafire, that would make my day! PM sent!

Cheers!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you haven't crossed the border yet into Oregon, I live close to Yreka on I5. I'd be happy to take you to the range and let you try out some semi autos (my last guest from Germany enjoyed those the most) or whatever. I have a some German guns too. Also there's turkey hunting around here right now.

BTW Where in Germany are you from? I'm from near Nuernberg - many years ago,

e-mail me at aunuts@sisqtel.net

or call me at (530) 467-3264 up until midnight so we can chat.

Third rebirth of member #117.

Posts: 65 | Location: The State of Jefferson, CA | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Seafire it is a shame that I can't have the pleasure of making your aquaintance just yet. Already back in Las Vegas and soo to be heading east. At least there the rifle range is in the yard, and the animals are mostly 4 legged! I have been planning a number of loading experiments and am anxious to get back to the armory. Urban livings is a challenge and a blessing to I guess ...

cheers

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Herb D:

If you haven't crossed the border yet into Oregon, I live close to Yreka on I5.

Hello Herb - where are you? I used to live in Scott Valley, have it in mind to go back to hunt mule deer one of these years...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14516 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tom,

You are not too far down the turnpike here...

Drop me a PM... maybe we can get together and do some huntin' too!

cheers
seafire
cheers

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tom,

Great social hour here! I have lived in Etna for 5years.Moved up from Petaluma upon retiring from teaching. Bought the local barber's (Buzz Helms-maybe you knew him) house. I chose Etna to be closer to my cabin in Sawyers Bar (bought back in '71) and all my gold mining claims.

Where in Scott Valley did yo live? When did you move away? We might have some mutual acquaintances here. Let me know when you come up for deer hunting and we'll get together.

Good to hear from you as we haven't talked for a couple of years now. Been away from AR ever since the last forum reconstruction dropped me and I couldn't get a response from the moderator.

Herb

Posts: 65 | Location: The State of Jefferson, CA | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
Elwood, If you get back to Central/Northern CA you'll have to take a 4 hour side trip inland and visit Yosemite National Park. Spend a night there and enjoy. This time of year the entire valley is spectacular with spring and deafening with the waterfalls full of winter runoff. Hope you can make it...

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Herb

My parents lived in Etna 1963-1965, I started high school there. We lived halfway between Tuttle and Barnes ranches awhile, up French Creek awhile and moved to town after a pretty good flood, lived in a house owned by Chessum ( school principal ) until we moved. When my maternal grandfather died, my mother wanted back east real bad, and off we went.

I've only been back there once since, early 80s, and did not get to take time to look around for people I'd known before. I had a fine time there, hunting and fishing were excellent at the time. It looks like the population has not changed too much yet and it's probably still pretty good.

I had a deer tag last year, didn't get to go as I had a project on that wouldn't finish. Oh well, try again this year.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14516 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tom,
1964 is when I first came up here on my first deer hunt packing a '91 Argentine Mauser. Got real lucky and found a big 4X4 (my biggest ever). That got me hooked. From the 60's through the '80's the hunting was fantastic! Not so lately. We just don't have the herds that we used to. Probably due to lack of clear- cuts and the ever increasing mt. lion population. So it takes more time to be successful.

BTW there is now a heard of elk living behind the Barnes Ranch. Once in a while I see them when they cross hiway 3 right at the ranch.

Things are changing though up here. The towns don't show much change but there are new houses built almost everywhere in the hills and gulches. The traffic on hiway 3 to Yreka is now nonstop and that has also had a big impact on the deer in the valley. Interestingly enough, the old timers still wave as they pass you by.

Did you read in the newspaper where Etna was voted #2 as the best small town in the U.S. for those seeking the outdoorsy lifestyle.

Do let me know if you're coming up for deer season. By that time I'll be winding down my gold dredging operation and will be ready for a break. Also, if you'd like we could put you up in the upstairs of our old cabin in Sawyers Bar. Or if you'd prefer you could stay in our Etna house.

Herb

Herb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Elwood,
I enjoyed our phone chat greatly. This is to let you know that on Wed. at 11:00 I'll be attending a friend's funeral. It shouldn't last more than an hour. Then on Fri. I have to attend the service for one of my hunting buddies. I can't believe it myself. . . two in one week. Otherwise my time is all yours. More details when you call.

In the meantime, enjoy your trip.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I seem to have kicked off a big forum get-together! Cool

herb, it's been great talking to you on the phone, looking forward to put your German to the test face to face! Wink

I am terribly sorry for the loss you suffered - please feel free to cancel any of our appointments due to this difficult time!
Will be in touch shortly and see if we can find the time for a little chat or a beer.

Please accept our deepest condolences!

Talk to you shortly,

elwood.