THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Excellent Write Up on Long Range Shooting

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Excellent Write Up on Long Range Shooting
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 35Whelen
posted
I stumbled across this piece by Col. Boddington on long range shooting.

http://www.huntingmag.com/guns_loads/long_090904/

You propponents please don't stop at the title. It's really an excellent article by a man who obviously knows what he's talking about...probably why he writes about it, eh?
35W

Posts: 143 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

It is not my place to tell anyone how far he should or should not attempt to shoot at game, so I'm not going to put a figure on how far is too far. It depends a whole lot on the circumstances and the conditions at a given moment, as well as an individual's skill.

And the quote above is probably the best statement made in the article.It's a shame that more people don't heed this advice.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 35Whelen
posted Hide Post
I bet you stopped reading when you saw that, didn't you? <grin>
35W

Posts: 143 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go to the first page of the current LR thread. Read my origional comment on the subject.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WHAT PART of what the writer says is inconsistent with what those of us inclined to take 200+yd shoots have been saying?

"There are circumstances where long shots are appropriate, and the very word "long" is very subjective. A great many hunters, perhaps the majority, have no business shooting at game much beyond 200 yards. There are others, a minority, who are perfectly competent out to 400 yards and beyond when the conditions are right. There are a very few who, on a calm day, in good light, with plenty of time to set up and think it through, can shoot considerably farther with confidence and reliability.

It is not my place to tell anyone how far he should or should not attempt to shoot at game, so I'm not going to put a figure on how far is too far. It depends a whole lot on the circumstances and the conditions at a given moment, as well as an individual's skill."

NOW, if others would HEED the word's of the Col., maybe we could put this topic to rest.

Posts: 624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Excellent article. Thank you for posting it.

Posts: 725 | Location: Upstate Rural NY | Registered: 16 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lawcop
Were you planning to come over and do a hands-on lookover of the CZ 416Rigby?
I have to return to work on Monday, but will be home again for 4 days over Thanksgiving.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That was indeed an excellent article. Thanks for posting it.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The limiting factor for long range hunting, as opposed to long range taget shooting or the military application of shooting terrorists, for a given set-up besides conditions and your personal skills is:............... does the bullet open up at that range????
When the bullet will not open up due to too low velocity at a certain distance, you have reached the maximum range for your set-up. Regardless how good you are at targets, you have no bussiness shooting at big game. Then switch to prairie dogs or gophers.
Sooo..............yes, I believe you CAN tell someone that they are shooting big game at too long a range.
Besides, follow-up of wounded animals at those extreme ranges over 400 yards, becomes next to impossible except under the most favourable conditions. Try to find the location where you hit them.Good luck.

Posts: 101 | Location: Alberta ,Canada | Registered: 17 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Count me in as someone who enjoyed the article. Novice hunters would do good reading it.

Posts: 407 | Location: Olive Branch, MS | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote