THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Fixed Weaver Grand Slam vs Fixed Leupold

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fixed Weaver Grand Slam vs Fixed Leupold
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone have experience with the Weaver Grand Slam scopes? I'm looking for comparisions of a fixed 4.75x Weaver Grand Slam to the fixed 4x Leupold. The scope will be mounted on a 338 Win mag. Any comments welcome.
Thanks
JAB

Posts: 178 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 07 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For reliability and longetivity, Leupold is the one.

Leupolds also have great resale value. No one will hesitate to buy a 25 year old Leupold. What is a 25 year old Weaver worth?

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
<green 788>
posted
What 500 grains said... The Leupold is a lifetime investment, for sure. I just returned a 30 year old Leupold 3 to 9 Vari X II and they rebuilt it start to finish and sent it back, free of charge.

On the other hand! I *love* Weaver Grand Slams, and they are reportedly doing very well at durability. I have a 6.5 to 20 Grand Slam that is one of my favorite scopes.

The Grand Slam will have better turrets, and extremely repeatable adjustments, superior to even the Vari X III Leupold's adjustments. The Grand Slam's glass will be brighter if you compare the two scopes.

For the above reasons, I wouldn't fault you for choosing either one.

Good luck, either scope would be a good choice. The Weaver will cost a bit more in most places...

Dan Newberry
green 788

One of Us
posted Hide Post
500 gr said it all, but I looked through a WGS the other day and it seemed a nice scope with some nice features.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For the record, I just paid a bit over $300 for a twenty year old Weaver.

~Holmes

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
<500 AHR>
posted
500grains,

I have an old Weaver. I really can't imagine selling it, but if you cough up enough money I might reconsider. Leupolds aren't too aweful special, they break as do all the others. Leupold does seem to stand behind their products though. The only scopes I have owned that haven't broke are my old Weaver and a Ziess. The jury is still out of the Ziess though.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I probably have half a dozen old fixed Weavers and a few variables, as well. They are very good scopes for the money. My fixed Leuopolds haven't given me any grief, but I can buy three Weavers for the cost of one Leuopold. And no, I don't believe that market value is the only true test of something. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a Weaver Grand Slam 3-10X40 on my Savage 116 338 Win Mag with just over 400 rounds on it. The scope is bright and the adjustments are repeatable with no lag or slop, so far. The only problem I had was a set of Millet mounts that shot apart in 70 rounds, I switched to Burris double dovetail mounts with Signature rings and haven't had a bit of trouble. I think the Weaver will last on this gun.

Posts: 273 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
<JimF>
posted
FWIW:

I have been a faithful buyer of Leos for 30 years. I still have one of my first ones. The only gripe I've EVER had is the Leo tendancy for "maybe" adjustments. IE "maybe I'll take that 1 inch adjustment now, or maybe I'll take it later"
"But don't worry I'll let ya know." Despite Leupold's denials, many faithful Leo users will note this effect.

Having said all that, I'm considering going back to fixed 4X for my big game rifles, and I might not buy Leo this time. I want to look at Zeiss, and I have not considered Weaver but I think I will.

JimF

<Chainsaw>
posted
I own both Weaver and Leupold and like both. I bought my 1.5-5x20mm Leupold VariX3 used for $200.00. I would like to get another but won't pay the going price. I sent mine back for POI work and it came back with a new erector spring.

I have 5 classic Weavers, 4 being V3's (1-3x20mm) and a V10(2-10x38mm)and I like them also. I had one fixed after dropping a take down type rifle on an exposed rock on a walk path while tranporting my hunting clothes and rifle in a back pack. The seal went out but the scope never lost zero. Both brands are nice scopes with the Leupold being somewhat pricey but having good eye relief.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a V16 a year ago and was so impressed by it, I am buying a Grand Slam. I have owned them all. In my humble opinion, Weaver is the best scope for the money on the market today.

Posts: 1542 | Location: Anchorage AK | Registered: 03 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have bought 4 Weaver Classic varibles this year and like them all.For the money and a lifetime warranty,you can not beat them.Just for the record,I called the factory and spoke with a tech and asked him the difference in the optics between the Classic and the Grand Slam and he said that there was no difference,same glass,same coatings.Try natchezss.com for the best prices on these scopes.

Posts: 507 | Location: Rogersville ,tn,usa | Registered: 06 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have both. You won't go wrong either way. Basically you just need to decide how much you want to spend. Although I mostly own Leupold's I have to admit the Weaver is brighter, sharper, and the adjustments are super!

Posts: 210 | Location: Montana | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote