THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    USFWS hiring 'grizzly bear conflict manager' Montana

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

USFWS hiring 'grizzly bear conflict manager' Montana
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
https://www.businessinsider.co...nager-montana-2022-3

A government agency is hiring a 'grizzly bear conflict manager' and is willing to pay up to $103,000 for the right candidate
Stephen Jones 6 hours ago

The US Fish and Wildlife service is hiring a 'grizzly bear conflict manager'.
They could be paid up to $103,000 and will be based in Montana.

Expect wild camping and multiple forms of transport including foot, boat and air.

Fancy escaping the daily commute and dread of a 24 hour news cycle? How about moving to Montana to keep grizzly bears out of trouble?

The US Fish and Wildlife Service — a government agency that manages wildlife habitats — is currently seeking a "grizzly bear conflict manager".

Rather than stepping in to resolve territorial disputes between bears, they'll be working with local wildlife agencies to manage bear populations and mitigate their contact with humans.

The successful candidate will be paid between $79,363 - $103,176 per year, according to the advert, and will have to be located within 100 miles of either Missoula, Bozeman, or Kalispell in Montana, United States.

In return, they should expect a physical job with no two days likely to be the same.

The candidate will split their time between camping in the field and an "adequately lighted, heated and ventilated" office. They'll be expected to use a variety of transport to navigate often harsh terrain, including on foot, snowmobile, boats and small aircraft. They'll also supervise a small team.

"The incumbent may be subject to large numbers of biting insects and may be required to work in close proximity to large animals such as a bear and moose," according to the advert.

They may also need to carry a firearm for protection, it says.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9410 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
https://www.usajobs.gov/job/638596000

Link to job announcement.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9410 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It would be so much easier and less burden on tax payers to just sell hunting licenses. Bears would figure things out pretty quick , and the revenue it would generate.......

Hang on TITE !!

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Good job for Joe Rogan! He could call the fight ...

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4737 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
For that money?Ill shoot everyone one of them, on foot and with 404

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
About 5 years ago U.S. Geological Survey advertised a bear safety person in Bozeman working at the college.

I applied for it, as I am a professional safety person and I have a wildlife biology degree.

I didn't get an interview, but they hired someone from within.

Odds are pretty high that whoever gets this job already works there.

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The incumbent may be subject to large numbers of biting insects

I guess in these strange times you have to mention that in a job prospectus. Big Grin

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1625 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
About 5 years ago U.S. Geological Survey advertised a bear safety person in Bozeman working at the college.

I applied for it, as I am a professional safety person and I have a wildlife biology degree.

I didn't get an interview, but they hired someone from within.

Odds are pretty high that whoever gets this job already works there.

Remember they are or were talking about the safety of the bears.

Not the safety of the human workers.

Posts: 19432 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
It was more of a matter of them using a federal law concerning safety personnel to get another position. They coded it so they could hire another person, they justified it as 20% of the duties were in safety.

In speaking with a friend that works for Geological Survey she claims I dodged a bullet. As the agency is a weird group of people who think they are college professors and have PHD's in bear flatulence.

I just want to do my job without being constantly blown off because I don't have a PHD.

Still don't understand people who go to school for 8 years to make $80,000 a year.

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The USFS, always prefers a committee of no experience in such matters, problem solving short of agriculture is not thei big suite..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41970 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
It was more of a matter of them using a federal law concerning safety personnel to get another position. They coded it so they could hire another person, they justified it as 20% of the duties were in safety.

In speaking with a friend that works for Geological Survey she claims I dodged a bullet. As the agency is a weird group of people who think they are college professors and have PHD's in bear flatulence.

I just want to do my job without being constantly blown off because I don't have a PHD.

Still don't understand people who go to school for 8 years to make $80,000 a year.

Most PHD programs from state universities are funded by the University with the student teaching. So, it cost the student nothing once they get accepted. The better programs even fund travel for purposes of researching the Dissertation.

Take me, my Dad died with less than 20K to his name. The median salary for my County is a lot less than 19K. So, 80K always looked good to me. I would not have done it (4 years of college and 3 of law school) if I had, had to take loans.

I remember my 1L year, the loan money did not hit on time. This young, female classmate told me she had 150k in undergrad school loans on top of law school, school loans.

Teachers here in KY never get to stop going to school. All of them speed 3-4 years in undergraduate (My poor brother spent 5), then another 5 years taking classes for Master’s in anything, Rank 1, some admin speciality. It is insane, and stupid. Your pay is incentivized by obtains these class participation programs. It is not based on the quality of your students’ performance or a peer reviewed assessment of your skills.

Posts: 11366 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That job in the past has been the duty of the USFS special Agents, they are LE federal officers just like DEA, US customs, FBI, I ended my last 5 years in DEA as a USFS special agent, mostly for Marihuana eradication, but did some bear protection jobs and whatever else was needed..Had a couple of damn funny experience with those USFS liberal rangers..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41970 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote