Tools

Grizzly attacks....
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted
...a horse [Smile]

Last night, a hunting buddy dropped by.

He told me that a local farmer, who was away for a few weeks, had a bear kill and partially eat one of his small horses. The kill was discovered by a hand that was contracted to feed the farmers stock while he was away. He saw what he described as a 'cinnamon' bear. There are lots of cinnamon bears around this area.

Anyways, the neighbors were taking turns on bear watch, waiting for it to return to the kill.

My buddy said his watch started at 5AM. I said I'd come by and keep him company, besides, I wanted to try out my new 'bear cannon.' [Big Grin] (A .375H&H) I told him that I would come by at about 6, as I had a couple of things to do first thing in the morning.

Anyways, I was about to set out to visit when I got the call...

"I shot a goddamn grizzly!!!!"

So of course, I drove like a sonavabich up to hs place. He had a great story- Here it is.

" I drove over in my truck and relieved the other guy about 4:30. I was siting in the truck with a good vantage point of the dead horse.

After about an hour, I got bored, so I decided to take a little slow walk, towards the horse.

I stopped when I heard a bit of a commotion; I couldn't see anything, but heard the horses running. They were over a little hill from me.

I then saw the horses running up towards me, but paralell to my at about 100 yards. Then I saw the bear.

It was chasing the horses towards the fenceline, where the horses could not escape.

The bear ran the horses against the fence, saw me and did an 180 degree flip in the air, and turned to run back. I let loose with my .300 Winchester.

The first shot hit him too far back, in the guts. The bear slowed down and was PISSED OFF at me!

The second round JAMMED!!! (Old Semi auto Remington)

I yanked back hard on the bolt, ejecting the second shell, and loading a third. That one hit the bear just behind the shuolder, and he dropped.

It was an absolutely incredible encounter. The craziest thing I've ever seen or done.."

Anyways, the CO's are coming up tomorrow to inspect the scene, and seize the hide.

My buddy wll have to apply for a tag to keep the rug, it's not up to the CO's. Hopefully he'll be able to keep it after all the paperwork is done.

It wasn't a big grizz, about 400 lbs, just over 6 foot long. He had almost no fat on him. this grizz was suspected of killing geese and a bison at two other farms...

I guess he was a couple of years old,a nd had turned to livestock killing.

I'll post pics later...

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gatehouse: As I always say - "There ain't no such thing as a little bear." Too bad more people don't realize that. Bear in Fairbanks

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When you are going up against a "Brown Bear"...have enough gun.
In my openion, a 30-06 with with a 200 grain bullet MIGHT be enough. A 45-70 or a 458 would be nough to take down a curous/hungry/protecting the young bear.

Posts: 355 | Location: Roanoke, Virginia | Registered: 29 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
Gatehouse.

Ive seen plenty of griz sign in the alpine in your area. I allways watch my back especialy when I'm packing out game.

People are saying that more and more are showing up around Whistler resort. They are getting stronger in numbers year by year.

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Cariboo
posted Hide Post
Great story gatehouse!

I had to shoot a very large, very old, black bear a few years ago that thought my horses would provide an easy meal. He too had no fat on his body and he still weighed in at around 400 pounds. That was one bear I would have loved to have seen in his prime.

quote:
Originally posted by boilerroom:
I allways watch my back especialy when I'm packing out game.

boilerroom, At least your grizz are not yet trained to come to the sound of a gunshot like the ones in the Kootenays. It is getting to be a real nervous bunch of elk and deer hunters down there now!

Posts: 277 | Location: McLeese Lake, B. C. Canada | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Same in Montana down on the Clearwater Range. A hunter was killed by a griz last year while gutting his elk.

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was hunting Moose in the willow flatts South of Fairbaks and had an awsome experience with a big Grizzly. I heard a stick break behind me as I stood watching out in front of me. Thinking it was a Moose I turned and raised my gun. I saw brown hair behind these two Spruce trees and watched as this big Griz stepped out. After he passed by I stepped it off and it was 10 steps to the trees. I have hunted Worledwide and shot a similar Grizzly in Russia, but that was the most awsome animal I've ever seen in the wild. He had a swagger to his walk like he was just looking for something to kick A$$.

one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
Cariboo

Hey nieghbour. Your just up the road from me. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hawkeye47,

The Grizz in that area up here are "real" thick!!

My neibor had to kill one down the road from me after it was killing his goats, when it got a horse one night he set up on the barn and waited for him. He killed him with a AR15 using a NV scope. Said he didn't stop pulling the trigger until it was empty either! He dropped in about 20 feet. He said he stayed up on the barn for a while afterward too, just in case. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Cariboo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boilerroom:
Cariboo

Hey nieghbour. Your just up the road from me. [Big Grin]

Where are you located boilerroom? Quesnel or the Puddle? [Wink]

Posts: 277 | Location: McLeese Lake, B. C. Canada | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
Cariboo

I'm in 100 mile area.

I start a new job down on the coast next monday so I'll be down there for the summer. [Frown]

I'll make damn sure I'm up there for hunting season though. [Big Grin]

one of us
Picture of Cariboo
posted Hide Post
boilerroom,
I worked out of 100 Mile up until 3 years ago. It has to be without question one of the best regions anywhere in Canada, or North America for that matter, to live if a person hunts and fishes.

Good luck on your move to "Lotus-land" and remember that the Cariboo-Chilcotin is not going anywhere and it will still be here next fall! LoL [Big Grin]

BTW: If you are interested in a "Made in BC" hunting forum send me a PM for the address.

posted Hide Post
Interesting post, Gatehouse!

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Pics are coming...

I live in the boonies, so I'm on dial up ...

Plaease be patient [Big Grin]

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Here is the (little) horse

-

Here is a close up. Note the claw marks....they are pretty nasty.
 -

Here is my buddy with the hide and paws...  - \

I only put this in because it offers a reasonably good pic of my truck in the background
[Big Grin]
 -

Here is the bear carcass...no fat on this lean mean killin' machine...
 -

-

Mr. Grizzly all laid out...

The CO cmae up yesterday...He wasn't all that happy that anyone had shot a grizz, but since the CO's are generally practical men/women, there was not a big stink.

Around this area, this bear was suspected of killing a fair amount of livestock...

I have met all the Co's in this area, at one time or another... and actually, almost every CO in BC is a practical, smart person. They are probably the best 'cops' around...It's too bad that there are not more of them because there is always a shitload of poaching arond here, due to our proximity to the Lower Mainland...

one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
Gate

quote:
I have met all the Co's in this area, at one time or another... and actually, almost every CO in BC is a practical, smart person. They are probably the best 'cops' around...It's too bad that there are not more of them because there is always a shitload of poaching arond here, due to our proximity to the Lower Mainland...
I hear ya. I have to give alot of credit to the co's around here to. This is probably the most dispersed population in the province and there is only a couple of co's. There plate is really full. I have actually run in to them on their day off in civies keeping a eye on things way back country. [Smile]

one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Damn straight..

Their plate is really full.

Our CO that has to patrol from Squamish, to Goldbridge, and halfway up the Duffey.

It's ridiculous that 2 or 1 persons can patrol all these areas.

It would take me -just driving- an hour and half to get from Pemberton to Goldbridge. If I had to stop and investigate soimething, it would take me all day.

Frankly, if the government would pick up the tab for expenses, I bet we could get 2 or 3 guys out a day patrolling on their own time, but it ain't gonna happen...

The CO's have a real rough ride....