New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Son gets his first big game
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Here are some pics of the caribou he got yesterday. Richard and I went out and hunted for caribou with a friend and his son from work. Spotted a herd and tried to stalk them on foot. Us on one end of the heard and Ed and his son from the other end. They didn't move to much and Richard and I were closest. We used a large rock as a rest and Richard took a shot and hit a bull. It started to run so I took over and took a shot at it running, and it dropped on my shot. It turns out my son made a classic double lung shot (low) and when I shot I missed and it just happen to drop then. I gave the gun back to Richard and had him ready on another. He had to wait again this time so that a pass thru bullet would not hit another caribou. It clears the others and he shoots. This cow turns around a couple of times and stands there breathing hard and the rest of the animals start to scatter again. They just seem to run in all directions without going anywhere, more or less ending back up where they started from. At this time a cow about 15 feet behind and 10 feet off to the left of the one Richard shot DROPS. Then the one he shot finally drops. What is going on. With further investigation, he had a pass thru the first caribou and when the bullet exited it just nicked a rib and I figure it then deflected to the left and got the other cow. The first cow was a perfect double lung then exits and does another double lung and complete pass thru with the SAME bullet. No double lung shot for him he has to do a quadruple lung shot. Everyone is happy and flying a little high. Grins from ear to ear. Was a little cold out at -20C but not much wind. We used the skidoo to get them back to the trucks and then gut and quartered them there. Loaded up and back to town.

check out the pics here.

http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/Smokey/CaribouRick.html

[ 01-23-2003, 02:18: Message edited by: Smokey ]

Posts: 160 | Location: Whitehorse Yukon Canada | Registered: 20 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What an excilent story!! What a proud father and look at the smile on that boys face!! What are the particulars ... Bullet/rifle?

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats all around!

Man, it looks COLD out there!!!

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
<BigBob>
posted
Smokey,
My son Bob Jr. first game was a javelina. That was about thirty years ago. Every time I think of that moment, well you know the feeling. I hope it's the same way for you and your son. Bob and I have always shared something special because of it. Just as it was with us, it is about impossible to know who is the proudest in your home. I hope there are many more ahead for the both of you. Thank you for the pictures and the chance to live it all [Big Grin] again.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Smokey,

Congratulations on bringing the next generation into our sport! May you have many years of good hunting with your son. All the very best. [Smile]

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Smokey-Congratulations to both you and your son -- him for making the shots and you for teaching him "right." I am certain the memories of that day will always be with you.

Posts: 9402 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Please give that fine young man my congratulations.

Do yourself and him a favor yourself and keep the antlers. My father did that with my first deer and gave them to me. That little 2 point rack has the place if honor in my trophy room. Nothing like loking at them and remembering hunting with dad.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Smokey: Congratulations to you and your son. I know this was a special moment for you and thank you for sharing with us. My 3 sons have blessed me with wonderful moments like yours many times! My first born harvested his first Game Animal, a Whitetail Buck in Washington State in 1978. And among other things I remember from that day was to never try to field dress a Deer while your eyes are full of tears! Many happy returns of your recent special day!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

[ 01-20-2003, 21:13: Message edited by: VarmintGuy ]

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Smallfry, sorry about missing the particulars. The rifle is a m96 swedish mauser I cut down, shortned the barrel and turned it thinner to cut down on weight. Shortened the stock to fit him and put an oversize recoil pad on. A 2-7 leupold to top it off. He was shooting a maximum load of powder behing a 140gr Nosler partition. During the summer he was able to hit 1 gallon milk jugs out to 100 yards while sitting and using his knees and elbows to steady his shot. When we had the large rock for a rest I felt no problem extending that to 130 yards.

Mac, The antlers are still in the back of the truck and will be mounted and hung in his bedroom. A great project for the two of us over the winter

ksduckhunter, Yes it was cold but at the time it didn't seem to bad. Just like recoil and noise when shooting at game. It just doesn't seem to register. Gald it was "only" -20C the next day it dropped to -38C with a 10 -15 mpg north wind!! Ever try to field dress a frozen animal with frozen hands?

BigBob, your right I don't know who is prouder him or me. He sure enjoys telling the story but we have to be careful as it is not legal for him to hunt until he is 14. 5 more years to wait before he can legally take big game.

Smokey

Posts: 160 | Location: Whitehorse Yukon Canada | Registered: 20 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
congrats to you guys.

btw, I couldn't get the pics to come up. says ERROR 404 [Confused]

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Congrats, Dad!! There is nothing like the first one!!! Well done!!

Bob [Cool]

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ncboman, Sorry, I was trying to get them to show up withouth the link and it didn't work.
Give it a try now. I think I fixed it. Smokey