New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spring Black Bear?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking in to possibly hunting black bear this coming spring.
Will be in the US for a few weeks approximately mid May to early June for some business, seeing old friends and some vacation.

As I live in Europe and have no experience hunting black bear I could do with some tips and hints and recommendations from you all.

Probably best to try to find a guided hunt as this will be my first bear hunt in the US and I don’t really have the possibility to do enough research for a DIY hunt to likely be successful. I prefer spot and stalk over a baited hunt but am open to any and all suggestions.

I appreciate any help I can get!

Posts: 101 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
If you dont want to spend a pile of money then take a look at South West Oregon where I live. The coastal range is loaded with black bear. In the spring they are easy to find feeding on grass shoots in clearings. The country is steep and rugged but full of logging roads so it is easy to travel around and find them. Success is nearly 100% if you have a few days of good weather. I dont know any guides personally but there are local licensed ones who know the country and will take you hunting for a reasonable rate. You would stay in a motel and eat out of restaurants. The land is mainly all public access but there is so much of it and few hunters. The spring bear hunt in Oregon is a draw tag but there are plenty available. All the info and purchasing can be done online via ODFW website.

Posts: 6 | Location: Grants Pass Oregon | Registered: 26 December 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Not sure where you want to go but I can recommend Wizard lake Outfitting in northern Alberta Canada. They mostly do Bowhunting but you can use a rifle too.
It’s a baited hunt from stands, either in a tree or on the ground. Lots of big ones there with lots of color variation and a two bear limit.

http://wizardlakeoutfitting.com/

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2813 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
If you want a really big bear contact Capt. Purvis at Roanoke River Outfitting in North Carolina. They have some really big bears. Like anything else you get what you pay for.

http://www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/rates.html

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2331 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote