New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Brunswick Moose
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm beginning to recognize that I'm probably not going to be drawn for the Maine permit until sometimes after I'm dead and buried. That being the case, I'm considering putting in for the New Brunswick draw.

Anyone have any experience there?

If so, what was the experience like, both as to number and quality of the animals seen, available guides, etc?

Thanks.

Posts: 178 | Location: New York | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Uglystick
posted Hide Post
I hear ya when it comes to waiting to be drawn.

I live here and I can't seem to get a break either.

I have never hunted New Brunswick but I have been through the area and flown over it.
Based on what I have seen and what I have heard the quality of moose is much less than what you can expect in Maine. The numbers are less also.

Newfoundland has higher numbers of Moose that are generaly smaller in rack also.

Posts: 173 | Location: Jackman MAINE USA | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
NB is also a difficult to draw place. Only 100 tags go to non residents. The moose hunt is only three days long if you do draw a tag. Three very short days to try and fill it. Good luck!

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whiteeagle:
I'm beginning to recognize that I'm probably not going to be drawn for the Maine permit until sometimes after I'm dead and buried. That being the case, I'm considering putting in for the New Brunswick draw.

Anyone have any experience there?

If so, what was the experience like, both as to number and quality of the animals seen, available guides, etc?

Thanks.

I have been trying to get drawn also in Maine, no luck. I considered New Brunswick also. But I think I will go to Newfoundland instead.

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
New Brunswick has some big bulls. Tough to draw though. I'd recommend going to Newfoundland and keep trying for that Maine or NB tag.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
Why not put in for Maine, NH, & VT each year? There are big bulls in all of these locales and the cost is fairly reasonable. There was a 65" bull taken this year in NH and there are plenty in the 60" range if you are willing to go a little ways from the roads.

-+-+-

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama

Posts: 730 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, folks.

I was in Newfoundland a couple of years ago for caribou. Two of my friends also bought moose tags. The animals tht they saw over the course of the week, and those that they ultimately settled for on the last day, weren't near the sort of quality that I'm looking for (though the meat was fine, of course).

Slug--

Any idea how easy it is to find a decent guide in New Hampshire and Vermont? Given the restrictions of my job and vacation time, I don't have the time to do adequate scouthing up there if I was drawn.

one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
I can't speak to VT but it's pretty easy here in NH. Here are a few that I know who have good reputations:

Chris Miller can be reached at http://www.milleroutdoors.com/

Wayne Derby can be reached at:

These guys have a pretty good reputation though I don't have any personal experience with them:
http://www.nhguideservices.com/moose.htm

-+-+-

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama

Posts: 730 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Slug:
I can't speak to VT but it's pretty easy here in NH. Here are a few that I know who have good reputations:

Chris Miller can be reached at http://www.milleroutdoors.com/

Wayne Derby can be reached at:
http://www.greatnorthwoods.org/moose/hunt.htm

These guys have a pretty good reputation though I don't have any personal experience with them:
http://www.nhguideservices.com/moose.htm

Hey Slug, I guess you didn't read the part in my NH moose hunt regarding one of the 'guides' on your list above. One of them, and I'll not say which (hint: the meat in the sandwich list above), is a no-good, worthless, incompetent, crooked, disgraceful, contemptable, useless fooking wretch. And that's being kind. If I should be so lucky as to come across him trapped in a fiery auto wreck some day, I'll stop, get out a lawn chair, a forked stick and some marshmellows, and roast a few over his flaming carcass while whistling theme songs as I watch his eyeballs melt. I would probably assist his mail-order Fillipina wife--whom he treats like a peasant dog/servant--to safety, but he can rot for all I care, the rat bastard SOB. But don't get the idea that I'm bitter or anything... Wink

Off to FL to try for my first hog. Let's do pho when I get back, eh?

KG

P.S. Edited to add: Slug's got the right idea. Put in for VT, MA and NH. Lady Luck is not always a kind mistress, but sometimes she takes pity. I hit NH my third year applying--as a non-resident.

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
Good luck in FL, KG!

-+-+-

One of Us
posted Hide Post
LMAO@Kamo Gari. That was hysterical.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been putting in Maine for 5 years, no luck. My buddy got drawn last year after 20 years!!! Eeker Didn't kill though, let several 40" plus go but was holding out. Last day had a 52-54" bull at 60 yards, couldn't close the deal with archery. That's a bummer. I'll probably go to new foundland before I draw maine, but you'll kill a smaller bull.

Posts: 206 | Location: nicholasville, KY | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks again.

The Maine app is in, and printouts of the New Hampshire and Vermont info are sitting on my desk right now.

One of Us
Picture of HUNTS
posted Hide Post
Isn't Quebec over the counter for moose? Thought that is was supposed to be a good deal but have not checked lately.

Posts: 161 | Location: Bozeman, Montana | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are big bulls in Newfoundland...you just need to persuade the guides to get off of the 4 wheelers and do some walking. Research the outfitter too. Some areas are much better than others for the big bulls. Again, there are big bulls there. BTW, I consider a big bull to be 48-50" in the eastern part of the continent. Anything bigger than that is asking for a miracle...yes there are a FEW.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
I'm going to have to disagree with you on that, Woodrow S. I see pretty good sized moose regularly including plenty that look to be 50"+. Being ready and willing to venture more than 100 yards from the road is the key to finding some of the big guys.

-+-+-

One of Us
Picture of Bwana Nderobo
posted Hide Post
Hunts- Quebec is over the counter, although in the area I've hunted (Lac Echouani-Clova) it is two hunters to one Moose Tag. And, in three hunts, I've never seen a moose in season (I saw a huge bodied bull on a bear hunt there!).

I'm off to Newfoundland this September for moose after 10 years striking out in Maine. Probably the best Moose value I've seen, but I have to agree the average trophy size isn't huge. Good Luck in NB!! BN

Phil Massaro
President, Massaro Ballistic Laboratories, LLC
NRA Life Member
B&C Member
www.mblammo.com

Hunt Reports- Zambia 2011
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1481089261

"Two kinds of people in this world, those of us with loaded guns, and those of us who dig. You dig."

Posts: 441 | Location: New Baltimore, NY | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote