Find
Notify
Tools

130gr TSX for deer out of 308win??
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of PATRIOT76
posted
HAs anyone used these on Deer? I have a 24" 1 in 12 twist krieger barrel. I was thinking I owuld get around 3100 FPS with these. We all know TSX's like velocity to open up. I could use the 150's but whitetail dont even need a 150. Please post your comments on this

Posts: 442 | Location: usa | Registered: 24 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PATRIOT76, I've got a hunting partner who shoots that load almost exclusively. His rifle is a stock factory Sako 75 hunter, and is a for sure .5 minute gun off the bags at 100 yards. It drops whitetails like a hammer!

I've been in box with him in Texas and seen him dump a doe like a bag of sand at just under 300 yards (lasered at 290+ and then she took a few more steps). He also has shot a few bruisers in Manitoba, 250+ lbs. guys, and he hasn't lost one yet, one shot kills all. My close hand experience is that this would make a great whitetail load.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PATRIOT76:
HAs anyone used these on Deer? I have a 24" 1 in 12 twist krieger barrel. I was thinking I owuld get around 3100 FPS with these. We all know TSX's like velocity to open up. I could use the 150's but whitetail dont even need a 150. Please post your comments on this

3100 fps that's about what a 270 gets with a 130gr bullet.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AI22-250
posted Hide Post
Only difference would be a higher BC for the .270win (.277) bullet.....

Posts: 289 | Location: Holladay,UT (SLC) | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Took a muley this year with a 130 TSX @ lazered 390 yds. Complete passthrough at top of heart with leg broken on entry. Plenty of internal damage evidencing opening.

BUT - it was with a 260 @ 2730 mv. Should have been around 2160 or so @ 390.

I use 150 TSX's in my 308 @ 2835.

If a day goes by when you don't learn something - it was a Total Loss!

Posts: 324 | Location: SE Wyoming | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PATRIOT76
posted Hide Post
what do you think you could drive a 130 TSX at?

Posts: 442 | Location: usa | Registered: 24 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since Barnes lists loads for 130 "X" bullets that exceed 3100 fps, you should be able to get the 3100 you are shooting for ---- BUT you should work up to the loads CAREFULLY. You may find the sweet spot for accuracy is below max velocity.

When I worked up loads, I also cleaned all the copper out of the barrel every 10 shots. Even with the reduced bearing surface, it still tends to build up faster than when shooting "jacketed boolits."

Even though you feel 150gr is too much bullet for whitetail, it will also suffice for larger stuff too. I use 150 TSX in my .308 for Elk. Hence a good 150 load would be a "one load for all" in your .308. I don't think you have to worry about too much for deer, as much as enough for larger game. This is not to mean the 130 won't kill an Elk, just think the 150 would be better. Shot placement is still the most important factor.

If a day goes by when you don't learn something - it was a Total Loss!

Posts: 324 | Location: SE Wyoming | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Josh K.
posted Hide Post
I shot a nice 8 pt with my 6.8 spc and the 110 gr TSX...great bullet..mine was only moving around 2600 fps. 2" exit hole.

Posts: 362 | Location: St.Louis Mo | Registered: 15 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since the 7mm08 is real close to you, I get 2840 with the 140TSX in a 20" barrel using 44.5 gr of varget. I wanted to try the 120TSX and they arrived today so I will get it worked up this weekend. I just hope the 120 can shoot as tight at the 140. I got 6 one shot kills this year with the 140.
Good Luck

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Patriot, my case is relative. I loaded up some "light bullets" per caliber for my brother. He is using the 110 TSX in his 270. The TSX redefines what some might consider a minimal bullet wt. per caliber for deer sized game because they are such tough bullets.

The 110/270 combo proved to be an ideal dose of deer medicine (and an antelope). So, I'd say the 130 in a 308 would be just fine, but don't get so hung up on the velocity stuff. To me, and yes this is my opinion only, velocity is over rated. Just know your trajectory, put the bullet in the vitals and smile. Those TSX bullets open on jackrabbits at 500 yards.

My brother loaned his rifle to a friend and they hunted together. His friend dropped a deer at just over 400 yards with that 110TSX and it still passed through both shoulders and the deer collapsed. The load uses about 56 grains of IMR4350 and I'm confident I could put 2-3 more grains of powder for velocity and tweek the seating depth, but why bother when the load groups well everytime?

Good luck, and I'm sure someone will pee on my velocity comment, but even if the 110 was moving only 2600fps from the muzzle, it's still going to demolish deer inards at 400 yards. I can't be convinced otherwise.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns