THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Which Federal High Energy 30-06 Factory Load for Elk?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which Federal High Energy 30-06 Factory Load for Elk?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am going on my first elk hunt this coming October and after alot of thinking I've decided to carry my dad's pre-64 Model 70 30-06. I was looking at the Federal High Energy loads and can't decide which to use. Should I use the Trophy Bonded load or the Nosler Partition? Or am I just splitting hairs and it just comes down to which ever load shoots best? The hunt is taking place in the Beaverhead Nat'l Forest in southwest Montana if that helps. I was told shots could come at 20 yards or 400 yards. I doubt I'll shoot over 300 yards though as that is my personal limitation(I prefer hunting the animal rather than sniping it). Any advice is greatly appreciated.

[ 02-07-2003, 18:41: Message edited by: CraigP ]

Posts: 530 | Location: Kulpmont, PA | Registered: 31 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CraigP,
This is an easy one. Whichever one shoots the best in your rifle. I would purchase a box of both and I would also purchase a box of the regular Premium with the Barnes 180 gr. XLC and try those as well. Whichever one shoots the best, I would then buy 5-6 boxes of those with the same lot number and start shooting.

One other recommendation is once you have your load decide get off the bench! Being from the East Coast you just can't appreciate how far you can see and shoot, if you wanted to, out West. I was really blown away. My range goes out to 250 yds. I practiced hitting water filled gallon milk jugs in field positions from 100, 200 and 250 yds. I bought and practiced with the Stoney Point Shootin Stix II. I felt confident when I left for my hunt.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

C-ROY

Posts: 259 | Location: Carolina | Registered: 11 September 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The 'High Energy' load only increases the velocity of the bullet, it doesn'tmake the bullet 'better'.

My wife used the regular Federal Premium 180gr. Nosler Partition load to kill a 4x5 elk recently.

One shot through the heart, end of story.
 -

George

[ 02-07-2003, 20:28: Message edited by: GeorgeS ]

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CraigP,
I've shot (2) elk with my .30-06, both with 180gr Nosler Partitions, both one-shot kills, one of which was at 274 yds. I don't think you can go wrong with either of those bullets; ditto to the earlier post who said to take whatever load shoots best in your particular rifle.

Good luck to you,
Craig

Posts: 403 | Location: South of Alamo, Ca. | Registered: 30 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good advice, so far. I've used the High Energy ammo, the standard Federal Premium ammo and handloads with some of these bullets, etc.
The HE ammo kicks harder. Besides the Fereal ammo, Winchester makes some excellent ammo with their Fail Safe bullets. Remington makes ammo with the Swift-A-Frame which is also very good. Any of these - whatever shoots best - would be my choice.
Practice can't be stressed too much. Get a cheaper load that shoot with your fancy premium load and do it. I much prefer a shooting sling as a shooting aide. I sling the rifle - upside down - while glassing. They will reduce your group size by at least 30%. Particularly valuable with light Mtn. Rifles and when out of breath. E

Posts: 1022 | Location: Placerville,CA,USA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
C-roy gave you some good advise. Practice, practice, practice. As he said, 300 yds is a long way. Take a 24 inch square piece of cardboard (the approx size of a elks chest brisket to back) and set it up a measured 300 yards away. It will look downright tiny. If you have duplex cross hairs in your scope, dial the power ring until the fine portion of the cross hairs bracket the cardboard top to bottem. Check what the power setting is. You can use that in the field to approximate how far away the elk is. Good luck and get into better shape than you've been in a while. (unless your first name is aawthur) [Big Grin]

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
Shoots best theory of course.

Either bullet is enough for big elk and out of my own experience I'd say the Trophy Bonded is tougher. Nosler Partition will open up quicker with the front being nice and soft.
Four years ago I put three trophy Bondeds in a moose from 175 yards with my 7mmRemmag. One through each side of the boiler room and one length ways. I recovered the two side shots but never found the lengthways.
Those two were pefect mushrooms and held alot of there weight.
The expansion stopped about two thirds up the bullet and you could see the led didnt want to let go.
Both 165 and 180 should work for a big elk.

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Either load will do well for you. I load the 180grNP to 2750fps for my son's 06 & have had excellant results. Try a box of each.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
CraigP

Both are very good bullets and will work well.

Pick the one that shoot best [Wink]

/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lots of great advice hear. I like Nosler over the Trophy because they penerate deep. The Fail safe is another great alternative too. Lots of opinion, just like asking which pick up to buy. Staying with the better ammo is fine advice for such a great trip. Price with cheap ammo to get the feel of the gun, and then sight with the hunting ammo. Have Fun and let us know your outcome.

Good Luck

Hcliff

Posts: 305 | Location: Green Bay, WI | Registered: 09 September 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
The "shoots best" theory is the obvious and best answer, of course. All I can say is, the Nosler Partition and the Trophy Bonded are both great elk bullets, and if the shot is well-placed, you'll have collected yourself a bull.

AD

[ 02-08-2003, 03:29: Message edited by: allen day ]

one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
I'd prefer the TBBC load, as it will usually keep a larger diameter mushroom throughout penetration, compared to the Nosler Partition. This should make a wider wound channel, and a larger exit hole. The Nosler load will work too, and would probably shoot tighter groups.

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Flip
posted Hide Post
I have used the Nosler on Kudu and they performed so well that I wont think twice about using them on Eland, I will take them

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote