New
Find
Notify
Tools

Texas
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm off to west Texas tonight. Flying out of Minot, ND in the morning and arriving in San Antonio tomorrow. Going to be hunting blackbuck, aoudad, and some wild pigs. Hopefully I'll have some good news in about a week!

Peter Andersen
Peak Wildlife Adventures
1-306-485-8429
peakwildlifeadventures@hotmail.com
www.peakwildlifeadventures.com

Posts: 295 | Location: Sk, Canada | Registered: 06 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have a great hunt, but be advised that San Antonio is not West Texas. I'm not sure where your final hunting destination is, but you would need to travel a good way north and west from San Antonio to get to a place where the locals would say that they are from "West Texas".

On the other hand, I'm not sure how it might sound to your ear if I referred to Saskatchewan as "Central Canada", although it looks closer to the middle than to either end to me.

Hope you'll take my remarks in good nature, and welcome to our state! Both blackbucks and aoudads are skittish by nature and can be challenging to hunt. Pigs get smart quickly when lead is flying around them, so they can be a challenge, too. Best of luck, and do report on your hunt when it's complete!

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No worries stonecreek. We're flying into San Antonio but hunting in the Sonora area. Saskatchewan is about the middle of Canada...we're referred to as part of western Canada though. I'm mostly hoping for a good aoudad. Everything is free range so I'm hoping for some good hunting.

Peter Andersen
Peak Wildlife Adventures
1-306-485-8429

Posts: 295 | Location: Sk, Canada | Registered: 06 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cessna
posted Hide Post
Good luck Peter,
I to am hunting the Sonora area later in the year. I look forward to a good report. Good luck.

Posts: 430 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you have to be "west of the Pecos" to be in true West Texas. Sonora is "hill country".

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No, folks in Sonora will tell you that they are in West Texas, so you're going to be fine referring to it that way, Peter.

Good luck with the aoudad, but a mature blackbuck is one of the prettiest trophies you'll ever find. And there's something that's just plain spiritually uplifting about killing a hog.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Good luck on the hunt! If you have a chance to take some of the blackbuck meat home with you, please do so! I shot one about 3 years ago and it was fantastic! Only problem was there wasn't much of it. Those critters are considerably smaller than I thought they were.

The blackbucks should be in their winter black stage, which to me is the prettiest!

Incidentally, I'm about the board a plane headed to your neck of the woods. Will be flying into Saskatoon and driving over to Paradise Hill, SK near the Alberta boarder for 3 days of goose/duck hunting!

Good luck!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to Texas Peter.

I hope you have a great hunt and look forward to your report.

Most people DO refer to Sonora as West Texas but it is the Eastern edge IMO.

graybird is right the venison from the Blackbuck Antelope is very good.........Aoudad.....not so much......

Being from Canada don't forget short pants and tank tops! Big Grin

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well we made it to San Antonio. I had shorts and sandals on when I left home last night ha. I intend to bring some meat home. I planned the hunt to coincide with their coloration and the aoudad rut.

Graybird- good luck up north with the birds! We've been hammering the ducks everytime I've been out this year. The geese aren't quite in my area in any numbers but you should be covered up with them in that area.

Peter Andersen
Peak Wildlife Adventures
1-306-485-8429

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aoudad mixed with pork makes excellent jalepeno-cheeze summer sausage/salami.

I had 35, two pound rounds made from the last one I shot. It turned out excellent and goes well with crackers and your favorite libation.

Don't know what your accomodations are, but at our camp, the tenders never make it past the gate. As soon as we get an animal skinned out, we shake on some Worcestershire, Terriyaki, Garlic Powder, Tony Chacheries and Black pepper, cook over hot mesquite coals {or charcoal if you're slummin) for about 3 minutes and scarf.

Best,

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well day one of the hunt has come and gone. I missed a blackbuck off of sticks at about 225 yards this morning. Only had a small gap to shoot through and there was a decent wind moving me around. We had an early lunch and got back on them. I took a nice buck at about 80 yards (free range...and I'd appreciate no comments about them not being able to go through fences). Had a good time and took a beautiful animal that is going to taste great.

We got back to the ranch we are staying on at about 4:30-5:00 and spent the rest of the day looking for aoudad. We saw a ewe, a lamb and two small rams. Hopefully I have some good news about a sheep tomorrow night.

Peter Andersen
Peak Wildlife Adventures
1-306-485-8429

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter,

Tough miss, but congrats on your buck.

Don't know what age fellow you are, but I happen to be old enough to remember an old TV show called Ozzie and Harriet. A young man on that show was named Rickie Nelson. He was a teenage idol. Later in life he penned this IIRC.........

Ya' can't please everyone, so its best to please yourself.

Lot of truth there.

I'd say if your happy with the way you hunt and take game, that's all that matters.

You'll catch no flack from this quarter.

Enjoy and

Best,

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We got up early yesterday morning and drove a few miles down the ranch trail and parked the truck. Once it was light out we walked in the bottom for some time and then started up a ridge towards a hidden bowl. The wind was messing around the whole time but we decided to press on. Near the end of our ridge we came to a good point to glass from. We quickly found a herd with ewes, lambs, small rams and two bigger males. We watched some fights and some breeding and I took an old ram at 250+. 3 quick shots and he went ten yards and didn't move an inch. He is at least 13/14 (too smooth to tell precisely) and has good length with awesome mass. He's all scarred up and is one of my favourite animals I've been fortunate enough to take.

In the afternoon my buddy that I am hunting with got a pair of bonus javelina. I wasn't lucky enough to see the rest of the herd once I got behind the rifle though. It was still great to watch my friend take a couple unique little critters.

We had a day off today and checked out the caverns of Sonora...a must see if you have thw time. We through out a bit of corn for wild hog bait this afternoon. The next couple days we'll be on our own hunting pigs so hopefully we can get a couple chances at them. We're also gonna give calling predators a try while we're out there as well.

Geedubya, I'm 24. I don't let other people ls opinions get to me. I just see no point in senseless banter

Peter Andersen
Peak Wildlife Adventures
1-306-485-8429

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll post a proper report when I get home and settled. Don't mind my grammar and spelling either, the smart phone isn't the best for writing lengthy posts. I'll try and give an update or two on the pig hunting over the next couples of days.

Peter Andersen
Peak Wildlife Adventures
1-306-485-8429

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SOunds like a good hunt! Can't wait for the report.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote