New
Find
Notify
Tools

Accubonds?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I would like to try the nosler accubonds in my 7mm Rem Mag, but I do not handload and don't plan to. Any word on when factory ammo will become available? Also, how would the 150 gr Scirocco's work on game such as Kudu, Zebra, and Hartebeast? I hear mixed reviews. Wolf

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am sure you will hear 50 ways to Sunday, but my take is that the Scirocco bridges, or fits between a Nosler ballistic tip, and say a partition. The scirocco holds together better than a ballistic tip, yet still is a rapid expansion bullet, and I suppose can cause considerable meat damage. I shot a mule deer into the ribs on a quartering shot this year and the scirocco exited the other shoulder with minimal meat damage. I was using a 7mm Rem Mag with 150 grain Scirocco's. I have heard others say it can cause considerable meat damage, but then, that also says they didnt put the bullet where meat damage is minimized. If you like a ballistic tip, yet you want something that will hold together better, the scirocco fits that bill. It probably doesnt stay together quite as well as Nosler's new interbond, but it is pretty close, and some will argue on soft skinned game, that is what you want, a bullet that will expend the majority of it's energy in the animal. For mule deer, I am convinced it is a good bullet.

Posts: 492 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Federal will soon have 7 Rem Mag 160 AccuBond ammo available.

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I meant to compare to Accubond, not the interbond, which I believe is very similar in construction as the scirocco. Let one of the experts hop in .....

Posts: 492 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted Hide Post
I am just now starting to test some Accubonds. Federal will be sending over pre-production samples in several calibers, and Black Hills just sent over the 180 grain .308. I have only had them a couple of weeks but I have shot a hog and one of my clients shot a doe with them. They are very accurate, with 1 10-shot group out of a sniper rifle I am testing coming in at .62" at 100 yards. I think that's a pretty strong 10-shot group from a bonded hunting bullet.

The Hog weighed 210 pounds whole. I shot him through both shoulders and he dropped right there. There was a fair amount of internal damage, with a decent-sized exit hole.

The Doe was shot at 110 yards through both shoulders. She ran about 180 yards, leaving a sparse blood trail accentuated with a few pieces of lung along the way. Exit wound was small.

I also used it to shoot windshields for an aricle I am doing for a tactical magazine. They drove straight through, even on angled shots, but they created the largest amount of glass dispersion and secondary projectiles. I suspect it was the front part of the bullet coming apart, but based on the size of the mess, I would have expected a little more exciting performance on game.

I haven't tested them enough to come to a conclusion yet, but I think the Accubond is going to be a bit too tough for deer hunting (at least for Texas-size Whitetails). I think it would be great for mid-sized African plains game, Elk, etc, and I am excited about testing it some more on larger animals. I'll update this post when I shoot some more critters with them.

Posts: 798 | Location: Sugar Land, TX 77478 | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote