Find
Notify
Tools

NM cow elk hunt for a Texan?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted
I know there are elk now on ranches in Texas, but I've been wanting to get some decent, "historic range" cow elk meat for the freezer for some years now and I'm somewhat familiar with the different areas of New Mexico. I've killed two decent bulls in MT on horseback hunts. I was just wanting as free range hunt of a hunt as possible, with maybe one other friend, driveable distance from central Texas, guided or un-guided. But we don't have mules - four-footed or motorized. It would be drive up (to the downed animal, we're good to walk during the hunt), or backpack and game cart. We'll quarter the meat and drive it home. I know NM isn't kind to non-residents on the draws and I'm not adverse to using a tag service, but it seems a little silly for a cow.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would try to obtain a landowner permit though the NMDGF sites e-plus roster. It will be pretty much a diy hunt unless the landowner provides you any information.

Posts: 91 | Location: Land of the Gila, Nm | Registered: 17 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Kiowa Outfitters out of Raton.....or.....Tristate Outfitters also from Raton

I recomend both

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is some potential for land owner hunts in January of 2013 if you are interested. If you are looking for DIY, pm me and I will give you some names of land owner permits in the Eagle Nest / Angel Fire area. But you should have no problem getting drawn for a cow. If you need info on some units in Northeast New Mexico, pm and we can visit. I do not have a lot of experience, but have done a few DIY in the area.

Posts: 36 | Location: Texas & New Mexico | Registered: 01 December 2012Reply With Quote