Find
Notify
Tools

Large wolf shot
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Pitures at sight came from freerepublic

This wolf was shot recently in Drayton Valley , Alberta.which is near Edmonton about 3 hours North of Calgary. The wolf weighed over 230 lbs smashing the previous record of 175 lbs. Wouldn't want to run into this puppy in the woods. Apparently a bear hunter witnessed this wolf chase off a big black bear at his baiting station..

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I can't see the picture.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Can you post a link?

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted Hide Post
The picture is faked. There's no way that anybody other than Superman or Chuck Norris could pose like that holding up a 235 lb. carcass. The guy's posture looks like he's just standing there, not holding up something as heavy or heavier than himself.

ANY photo where a person is posed directly behind the subject, and used as a size comparason, is suspect.

No longer Bigasanelk

Posts: 584 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back in the Day my Gramps could pick up a 200# Plus Buck and carry it out of the woods on his shoulders.Plenty firefighters can do the same going down a ladder carrying a person.When I was a Volunteer Fireman I saw that more than once.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted Hide Post
I'm NOT saying that a person cannot lift 200+ lbs. What I am saying is that the guy in the picture does not look like he's holding up that kind of weight. He's standing almost straight up with his arms straight out. Other than a slight backwards lean there is little sign of compensating or counterbalancing. Even an Olympic weighlifter will show some stress while holding several hundred lbs out in front of their body.

Not only is the Superman in the picture effortlessly holding up a load that equals or exceeds his own weight, he's doing it with only one leg! Either the wolf ate his right leg off at the hip or whoever photoshopped the picture got careless while cutting and pasting. There are several other easily visible photo editing goofups in this picture.

No longer Bigasanelk

Posts: 584 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The other leg is behind the tail. Even so, this still looks fishy to me.

Mike

Posts: 72 | Location: grand rapids michigan usa | Registered: 28 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I'm going with Bigasanelk on this one for now. The scale of the fur ruffles, its muzzle and other things look out of whack. Could be wrong but it looks problematic to me too. I'd like to be wrong for no other reason than to know a mammajamma that big is dead.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fake. Look at the guys hands in relation to his head. You ever seen anyone with hands bigger than their head? My guess is the wolf and the hands are super-imposed over the pic of the guy.

Posts: 2940 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice. | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The date on that site said Nov 2009. There must be something newer then that about it isnt there!!?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am still waiting for the picture to load but I know it is a load of BS. If anyone has ever skinnned out a large male wolf you would be surprised how skinny and lanky they are. very little muscle and rarely do they have any fat due to their extensive travel patterns.
The biggest wolf I have heard of weighed 126 lbs, I could maybe see 150lbs but no more.

Doug McMann
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0
email skinnercreek@telus.net

Posts: 1239 | Location:  | Registered: 21 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
The largest species of wolf is the Alaskan and 90-110 is supposed to be typical with the occaisional 130-150.

The largest Alaskan wolf on record was shot in 1939 and weighed 175.

So sayeth the internet; so let it be.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
He is a memeber of another board, he did take the wolf, but it wasn't that heavy,and it was taken in the lower 48 so to speak, in 2009

Stay Alert,Stay Alive
Niet geschoten is altijd mis

Hate of America is the defeat position of failed individuals and the failing state

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe he is extremely strong and is holding it straight out away from his body to make it look bigger.Probably only wieghs 210 Lbs. Cool

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
Pitures at sight came from freerepublic

This wolf was shot recently in Drayton Valley , Alberta.which is near Edmonton about 3 hours North of Calgary. The wolf weighed over 230 lbs smashing the previous record of 175 lbs. Apparently a bear hunter witnessed this wolf chase off a big black bear at his baiting station..

100% true.

It was shot in the spring of 2009

Hunting isn't a mater of life and death......it's more important than that

Posts: 76 | Location: Northwest Alberta, Canada | Registered: 05 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, did anybody else read the posts under the article. That is a bunch of major bunny huggers there!!!!!!!

Posts: 91 | Location: Mishawaka, In. | Registered: 22 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCHALL53:
Wow, did anybody else read the posts under the article. That is a bunch of major bunny huggers there!!!!!!!

Yes, I read the posts. Not surprising for a site called "ecolocalizer." It's like going on a site called Accurate Reloading and finding people who own guns.

No longer Bigasanelk