Login/Join

one of us
posted

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
From the article:

Rod and I got into raising whitetails back in the late 1980s, long before deer farming exploded (there are currently 800 of us) in Pennsylvania.

oh shit, here we go again.....

as for the deer itself, this is MY OPINION ONLY, and i don't expect anyone to share it, but it looks pretty uggin' fugly to me, and if i saw that out in the field, i would be running through the briars, running through the brambles and running through the bushes where the rabbits couldn't go; down the coolie and back to my truck - thence to home, where i would crawl under a table and curl into a fetal position, suck my thumb and cry.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Copidosoma
posted Hide Post
Hey, I wonder how long this discussion is going to be popcorn

I tend to agree about the fugly bit.

I'd want to shoot the thing just to make sure he doesn't breed anymore.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Based on photos of Goliath's velvet rack, many experts say he would easily beat the world record of 333 7/8 Boone and Crockett points. Of course, as a captive deer, he's ineligible for B&C entry.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSTEPHENS:
Based on photos of Goliath's velvet rack, many experts say he would easily beat the world record of 333 7/8 Boone and Crockett points. Of course, as a captive deer, he's ineligible for B&C entry.

But if he was shot by a high ranking SCI member from a helicopter, he could be entered in the SCI records.

troll

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of laredo kid
posted Hide Post
Not only is that spike world class-it is piebald also!!!!!!

Posts: 159 | Location: Pasadena Texas | Registered: 18 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Deer farmers. What a joke.

What's next? Selectively breed for a genetic mutation buck with 2 heads?

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
Was it the clear?

His hat size sure looks bigger than in his yearling pics........

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1444 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tasunkawitko:
'it looks pretty uggin' fugly to me, and if i saw that out in the field, i would be running through the briars, running through the brambles and running through the bushes where the rabbits couldn't go; down the coolie and back to my truck - thence to home, where i would crawl under a table and curl into a fetal position, suck my thumb and cry.'

Tasunkawitko, you are a piece of work rotflmo

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, Goliath is still dead.

http://www.rodharrison.com/Bucks/goliath.htm

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Goliath passed away at home on December 6, 2004.

rotflmo
"passed away"
clap
thats rich.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Copidosoma
posted Hide Post
But surely his semen lives on. Probably in a lab at some ranch waiting to "improve" the genetics of some captive herd.

sigh..

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Actually, Goliath was surpassed by High Roller last year. Goliath scored 410" before he died and High Roller grew a 418" rack last year at age 7.5. And yes, Goliath did "pass away" he wasn't shot. I believe he died from complications with the tranquilizer. And yes, you can still buy Goliath's semen for $4,500 per straw.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3110 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eland Slayer:
Goliath did "pass away" he wasn't shot. I believe he died from complications with the tranquilizer.

oops.
whoever made that mistake cost someone a few huyndred grand.