New
Find
Notify
Tools

THIS SUCKS
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
For the hunting section of this fine site, I think we have become rather lame. I haven't read one good hunting story in quite some time. bull

Any good stories out there?

I remember a father with two sons who were hunting the NER in Jackson during the annual "youth hunt". This allows for youth to harvest a bull on the refuge. Anyhow, the father gets the boys on a group of 7 HUGE Teton park bulls that were strung out heading towards the safety zone of the NER.
The bulls were all walking single file, and stopped. The father, told each boy to pick a bull and let him know when they were ready. It didn't take the boys long to both tell the father that they were ready, and each had a huge bull in their sights. The father told the boys "we're going to shoot on the count of three...one...two...THREE!!" POW..POW.....whoop...whoop.

Hearing the bullets strike the bulls, the father told the boys to watch their bull, and make sure he goes down. Boy one "mine wen't down!!!" About the same time, boy two "mine too!!".

Well, the father only watched one bull fall...and the rest of the bull ran like hell to the safety area on the NER.

You've probably already figured this one out, but the boys both shot the same bull. He was an absolute monster, but I guess there was some "disagreement" as to who the bull actually belonged to. Two bullet holes, but only one bull.

At least they have a good story to tell their children!

MG

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, things get off track! Hang in there as Spring Bear is around the corner and sheep, goat, elk, moose and bear to fallow. Good heads up for a reminder though! I apologize for not doing my part, life getting in the way and all. But I hope to give you reason to tune in this summer!

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
how bout a last yr story?was out 5th of feb picking up white deer horns w/ my red heeler.topped a ridge looking down into a u shaped draw,down to the left i spotted a 6pt, elk horn and the dog went after it.looking right i saw a strange colored patch of hair in the sage.raising my binos i find myself looking into the face of a mt.lion at 40yds.just behind the cat i see a elk laying there.i sat and watched the big cat for 25 min. as you so rarely see one in the wild(this being the 3rd and by far the closest)the dog had run upwind of the cats location a couple of times and the cat would raise its head but in no way acted nervous.the dog brought me the 6pt. horn and i put him on heal and we quartered toward the cat to run it off the kill and see if it was a bull as it was laying in tall sage and i couldn't see the head,got to within 25yds of the cat when i pointed at it and yelled "you better get outta here" the cat just lay there till i hucked a couple rocks then it bounded away.the dog went to chase it but i called him off.no gun ,no camera ,no license.called a friend when i got home and lined up him and his lion hounds.bought a license and walked back in the next morning.stacked bill and the dogs up about 500 yds from the kill and went into 100 yds w/ my heeler before dropping my pack and making the dog stay.snuck in and crept over the top.wanted to kill the lion w/o dogs or if it had already feed and left then chase w/ the hounds.as my eyes cleared the crest the cat was standing 60 yds away broadside and took a 130grn 270 ballistic tip thru the boiler room,and went 90 yds before folding up.cat was aged at 12yrs,was 8'4" 160lbs and when i pulled the tenderloins i found she was packing 4 full term kittens.i filled my backpack with hide and meat and headed for the truck.but not before going down and pulling the ivories out of the mature cow elk the cat had killed the day before

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravenr:
how bout a last yr story?was out 5th of feb picking up white deer horns w/ my red heeler.topped a ridge looking down into a u shaped draw,down to the left i spotted a 6pt, elk horn and the dog went after it.looking right i saw a strange colored patch of hair in the sage.raising my binos i find myself looking into the face of a mt.lion at 40yds.just behind the cat i see a elk laying there.i sat and watched the big cat for 25 min. as you so rarely see one in the wild(this being the 3rd and by far the closest)the dog had run upwind of the cats location a couple of times and the cat would raise its head but in no way acted nervous.the dog brought me the 6pt. horn and i put him on heal and we quartered toward the cat to run it off the kill and see if it was a bull as it was laying in tall sage and i couldn't see the head,got to within 25yds of the cat when i pointed at it and yelled "you better get outta here" the cat just lay there till i hucked a couple rocks then it bounded away.the dog went to chase it but i called him off.no gun ,no camera ,no license.called a friend when i got home and lined up him and his lion hounds.bought a license and walked back in the next morning.stacked bill and the dogs up about 500 yds from the kill and went into 100 yds w/ my heeler before dropping my pack and making the dog stay.snuck in and crept over the top.wanted to kill the lion w/o dogs or if it had already feed and left then chase w/ the hounds.as my eyes cleared the crest the cat was standing 60 yds away broadside and took a 130grn 270 ballistic tip thru the boiler room,and went 90 yds before folding up.cat was aged at 12yrs,was 8'4" 160lbs and when i pulled the tenderloins i found she was packing 4 full term kittens.i filled my backpack with hide and meat and headed for the truck.but not before going down and pulling the ivories out of the mature cow elk the cat had killed the day before

Good thing the 90 yards wasin't in your direction, eh?

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah, things get off track! Hang in there as Spring Bear is around the corner and sheep, goat, elk, moose and bear to fallow.

Don't forget about the Boss Toms.

It starts here in less than two weeks.

The wife and I are going to the camp Friday night and I'm going to get out just before daybreak saturday morn to see if I can hear a few Toms. That will be one week from the season opener and I hope I can hear the woods rumbling w/ gobbles. I went a couple of weeks ago and they hadn't started gobbling yet. I wish the weather would steady a bit.

Ya'll have a Good One

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote