THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    GPS, and truck cap, need advice for big sale!

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

GPS, and truck cap, need advice for big sale!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted
Bass Pro Shops is having some killer deals on their GPS's etc. Fall hunting classics sale. IF anyone would be so kind as to guide me on their experiences with diff. brands of GPS, user friendly, etc. I've never owned one and will be in WY by myself for 5 days on mulie hunt. I will 'coyote out' if I have to and want to buy a GPS. I think they have a Magellen Color for 150.00 Off. Regular, 450.00

ON the truck cap issue. I'm looking at Century, Leer, Jason, SnugTop, Swiss. Any thoughts on those?

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Well, I don't think like a woman. My brother has one of those Etrex vistas I think it's called. He loves it.

I do think the fiberglass topper's look much better but I don't want one on my truck all the time, so I may just go with an aluminum one afterall.

I went to the website posted in this thread and they have those Etrex for a good price.

one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
I have had great luck with Garmin GPS units. I know of 3 (one mine, 2 with buddies) Garmin GPS 12's that survived over 5 years of banging on boats here on the Gulf oF Mexico. After the 100th (or so ) time of bouncing accross the deck of my boat I finally broke mine.

I upgraded to a Garmin GPSMAP 76 and love it just as much. It seems very well built and battery life is very good. It only had a half dozen or so skips on the boat deck thus far...but didn't even take a scratch.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try www.gpsdiscount.com They have the best prices I have been able to find. On one for my boat I saved over $200 dollars compared to Bass Pro. Can't help you with a top.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an Etrex. Whichever brand you buy, learn how to use UTM coordinates; you will never use lat/lon again, esp if you value being able to pinpoint your position on a USGS map.

Posts: 7573 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the Garmin Legend and feel it is a great entry level GPs. The Garmin Vista is a better unit ($50-100 more money too) with an electric compass and more memory in it. The folks at Geocaching.com seem to like either Garmin or Magellan. Make sure you get a unit that you can down load maps and waypoints. The Garmin topo maps are super. You can plot a route and set waypoints along the way. As other have said. Bring extra batteries, a compass and a map and remember, GPS units don't work well under heavy cover.

Posts: 142 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 09 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a garmin 120 works well But I would up grade to the 130 so I could store more maps the 120 has 8mb of mem the 130 has 24. I brought their map source data cds works well.

I have a alum. topper with side opening windows ladder rack. I really like it one man a boy can take in off and put it on. The side openning windows are a must make getting at stuff easy. It was less then have the price of a fiber glass one so even if get damage I could replace it with another and still be money ahead. I have had it 4 years now and it is still going strong.

Posts: 19430 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Doc,

I think Swiss does make one for the Tundra. Call the phone number on the link I posted above to find out the details.

They wanted $820 match painted and installed on my Tacoma.

Don

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Try this link. I don't know why, but it WAS hard to find.

http://www.swisscaps.cc

My Tacoma short bed is $820, I'm close enough to take my truck to the factory and leave it a day. They will then custom match the paint instead of just using the standard paint code.

Don't know what a dealer will charge.

Don

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks Don

Posts: 121 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Who manufactures Swiss Toppers, and where. I did a "google" search and could not locate the manufacturer or any dealer.

Any help is appreciated.

Posts: 121 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The prices at gpsdiscount are really low. I checked them against a marine chandeler, Defender, and there is a 20% spread. Is it too good to be true?

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doc

No matter which unit you decide on, make sure you get one that can download and display topo maps! For hunting, this is a "can't do without it" feature.

I've had a Garmin GPS III+ for several years now and the topo map feature has really come in handy, especially when hunting new areas and/or out of state. Garmin has several models that can display their "MapSource" Topo maps. The "MapSource" Topo CD has coverage for the entire US.

firstshot

Posts: 26 | Location: North West Arkansas | Registered: 01 April 2004Reply With Quote