THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: Great study on penetration vs. velocity. see

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Great study on penetration vs. velocity. see
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Would like to get some of the posters.

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
www.seahook.com/bestbullet

Check this study out.

Great info on different types of bullets performance at different velocitys.

Shows clearly that if a bullet is too slow or too fast then maximum penetration will not result.

Except with x bullets or fail safes where at high velocity the petals may peel off.

[edited by Canuck...hope you don't mind!]

Posts: 162 | Location: Boise | Registered: 07 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
You could cut & paste the story and avoid the link alltogether.

Left click, drag so everything is hilighted. Right click, copy, then left click on your post , paste.

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Boilerroom,
Thanks for the info.
This is pretty big though.
Would you let me know if it works this way if not I will try copying it the other way.
Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks,
great chart

sheephunter

Posts: 795 | Location: CA,,the promised land | Registered: 05 November 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Great article, rukidnme.

I modified your link to get it to work...hope you don't mind.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Go Barnes!

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
how about that elk horn bullet. i think i might try some of those. very interesting.

Posts: 159 | Location: Saskatchewan  | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
Go Matchkings!!!

Very imformative.

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Matchkings ROCK!!!!!!!!

I love it when I am right!

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Canuck,
I couldn't get it to load right and now it shrinks on me.
But when I punch in the address in search it works great.
This fellow did a lot of work on this study, the only one I have ever seen that is this comprehensive.

You guys commenting on the Matchkings are kidding right?!
Talk about inconsistent performance per the testing.

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Quote:

You guys commenting on the Matchkings are kidding right?!
Talk about inconsistent performance per the testing.

Of course, I am. I would only harvest paper with Matchkings...or gamekings for that matter!

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

www.seahook.com/bestbullet

...Great info on different types of bullets performance at different velocitys...

Hey rukidnme, Thank you for the Link to Gary's article. The only thing I would disagree with you about is the choice of the word "Great" when in actuality it is the VERY BEST definitive study on Bullet Impact Performance that has ever been placed in print for the general public.

Back when it first came out in Handloader, I sat and looked at it for many hours, day after day. It clearly shows the Design Limits of most of the Bullets available at that time.

I had no idea it was available on the net, but sure appreciate you posting that link. It will put a halt to a lot of inaccurate loonyness.

You all be sure to take a look at the Remington Round Nose performance. Not bad for a very old design "Non-Premium, Standard Grade Bullet".

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Great comparison, it visually helps to categorize the various bullets in terms of construction, performance and appropriate usage, which I know for the bullets I have used (TBBC, Barnes, Nosler), but always wondered about with some of the others. Thanks!

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
[quote

You all be sure to take a look at the Remington Round Nose performance. Not bad for a very old design "Non-Premium, Standard Grade Bullet".

Yes, interesting isnt it. Especially the way the X and failsafes begin loosing their petals at only 2800 fs and the no good junk lead core RN's keep holding up to 3100 fs.

And how 'bout them Mag tips giving the partitions, A-frames and premium bondeds a run for their money across the board for a fraction of the cost.

Good article!

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You have my interest!

Pat

one of us
Picture of asdf
posted Hide Post
interested

Posts: 980 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of thirtycal
posted Hide Post
I remember that article and from time to time still read it over, alot of hard work and interesting findings on the performace of bullets. You made me go and find that issue to read it over again, thanks, some really interesting info on a chart.

Posts: 156 | Location: NY | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interested.

Posts: 192 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: 06 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Here is Gary's reply:

Hal,
Yes, the posters are still available. They are $15 which includes postage. My address is:

Gary D. Sciuchetti
14610 E. Bill Gulch Rd.
Mead, WA 99021

If anyone wants to e-mail me to ask questions or
whatever, that would be fine also.

Gary Sciuchetti <gsciuchetti@yahoo.com>

posted Hide Post
Now, I know why I spend the exta $ for Patition's and X's

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Hal, Thanks again. My money will be in the mail tomorrow morning.

By the way, I hope you invited Gary to join us here at Accurate Reloading (if he isn't already posting). I'm sure he would get some "grins" at a few of the "MatchKings are Great Hunting Bullets" Threads.

From Wstrnhuntr
Quote:

And how 'bout them Mag tips...

Hey Wstrnhuntr, After studying Gary's Chart for a very long time, I ended up buying 2000 RN Remingtons and ALL the Mag Tips I could find(in my various calibers). Shortly thereafter, Speer changed the Grand Slam design from the old 2-core to basically a slightly beefed-up Mag Tip design.

If you can find Mag Tips on the shelf, they indeed are excellent.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ulfhere,

Thanks for info. My check is in the mail.

Posts: 192 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: 06 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

...I ended up buying 2000 RN Remingtons ...

Hey Guys, Well......I pulled an unintentional "Clinton" on myself and you all with that post. Really thought I'd remembered buying that many, BUT it was a "different" RN bullet. Did get 500 of the RN Remingtons - DUUUuuuuuuhhh!!!!!

one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
Excellent !!
All best known bullets tested together under similar conditions ...

Thank you very much for sharing this

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote