THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Looking for a hunting lease near Houston TX

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a hunting lease near Houston TX
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone have one available or know of one?

Posts: 119 | Location: Houston | Registered: 06 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
The only deer right around houston are two-legged. Try Rick's or the Gold Cup. OTOH, there are some pretty nice deer in Sam Houston Nat'l Forest if you are prepared to scout.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LOL, I guess I should have been more specific...looking for a lease in a 2-3 hour radius of Houston.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
That question comes up a lot and it seems there are two types; either you get invited by a friend when a vacancy comes up on theirs and you end up in heaven or you join an advertised lease run by a broker who has a shitty relationship with the landowner who takes it out on the leasors.

Oh yeah, and the leasors (all but you of course) deserve it 'cause they drink all night, shoot deer they shouldn't, use your stand even when you're there, road-hunt right past your stand every morning, yada, yada, yada.

An advertised lease usually has a reason they need to reach out; the good ones go on word of mouth long before anyone else even knows. Find some deer huntin' fools and make friends.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just moved to Phoenix from Houston. The only good leases I have ever found have been through friends. Every one that I have looked at from an advertisement is in the "re-building" stage, and I never wanted to get on something and manage it for four years only to have the price jacked up when the lease is back up to speed. Try talking to friends or if you use a gunsmith they usually have some good information. I found my current lease from a friend at Briley.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mitchell6873:
Anyone have one available or know of one?

mitchell6873,

I don't know if I can help you this year, but probably can next. A lease that I have worked with for over ten years may have a slot come open this spring. I've been hunting the San Augustine/Sabine County (within your 2-3 hour drive limit) area for a long time. Send me a PM with what you are looking for and I see what I can do.

Sincerely,

Redlander

If you are going to carry a big stick, you've got to whack someone with it at least every once in while.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Redlander, PM sent