New
Find
Notify
Tools

info on a sako trg-s
 Login/Join

<cohoyo>
posted
anyone own a sako trg-s rifle? i'm about to buy one in .338 lapua mag and can't find out what the gun weights or much info about it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have several of them, and like them alot. However, they are rather light; too light, in fact, for something as hard-kicking as the .338 Lapua, in my opinion.

My 7mm STW and .338 Winchester are fine with that weight, but I wish my .375 H & H were a pound or so heavier.

The actions are amazingly slick, the magazines feed perfectly (and in the three calibers I have are interchangable), and the guns are accurate, especially the .375.

Some people have critcized the bedding system, which uses only a slot in the bottom of the receiver rather than a recoil lug, but there have been no failures reported and it's hard to argue with success.

I would consider a mercury recoil reducer in the buttstock if going with the .338 Lapua. I absolutely abhor muzzle brakes, so would never recommend one.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Sako>
posted
Check these data tables:
http://www.sako.fi/tables.html

They are in PDF format.

<Martin BN>
posted
The Sako TRGS was recently tested by a danish hunting magazine. The author liked the rifle a lot, though he said that the recoil was to much for him. "I fired the first shot while lying on the ground and continued from a sitting position after I stopped crying"

<Big Stick>
posted
Well,allow me to stand alone.

My TRG-S in 30-378Wby,was an interesting rifle. It kicked hard(I've owned a 378Wby and numerous 375's of differing nomenclature and field a 338Ultra),and was largely inaccurate.

With Factory ammo,it was a 2MOA rifle. Feeding handloads,I could cut 1.5MOA. Regarding my particular rifle,the stock was a VERY poor fit and the bedding was horrid.

After addressing those issues and striving for the utmost in accuracy,the cartridge still fell short of my expectations.

While an unbiased "Rifle Nut",I happily dismissed this particular rifle,in this popular chambering. It is a short-lived concept cartridge,fielded by folks,that have minimal ballistics knowledge. No offense is intended and PLEASE do not feel slighted. I bought one too,as a curiousity........

<Matt R>
posted
I have the TRG-S in 338 Lapua. I had it rebarreled with a Hart 28 inch barrel and a brake put on. I can hold 3/8 inch groups at 100 yds and 1 inch groups at 300 with the 250 gr Sierra GK. The gun now kicks like a 243 and still packs some awesome punch. Very smnooth action and I like the 3 locking lugs on the bolt.

Matt

<Don Krakenberger>
posted
I have one in 30-378 too. I have no complaints on finish. Accuracy has been tough to figure out. Best bullet seems to be the barnes 150 xbt. My gun did not like anything bigger than a 150. By the way it loves 125 ballistic tips--now there's a good match for elk hunting!! MIne likes to have the barrel fouled by about 10-15 shots then shoots 3-4.5" groups at 300 yds. Not stellar but acceptable. Maybe someday I will have it wearing a custom barrel--probably at least 28" and may go to a 338-378 at that time. PS--I'm not hearing great bragging from any brand gun in 30-378. I think this is an inherently inaccurate cartridge in a factory 26" barrel at full speed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Sako TRG-S in 338 Lapua and another in 30-378. Both are new in the box unfired. I was thinking of selling one or both, as the Sako action is a violation of my Mauser religion. Let me know if you want a bit of a deal.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
<yorick>
posted
I love my Sako TRG-S in 338 Lapua, before I put a muzzle brake on it I could only fire about 20 rounds before I had to quit, now its a pussycat but almost as loud as my .50 (muzzle brake by http://www.jpar15.com/recoil.htm )

Anyway, my only complaint is that I have to clean the damn thing, it gets copper fouled worse than anything I have ever owned. I hate cleaning, and avoid it whenever possible, but unless I am religious about getting all the copper out, accuracy goes to hell. Properly cleaned and handled it will hold sub MOA, (my best is 3 inch groups at 500 yards) I have about 300 rounds through it so far.

Just for fun I hunted deer with it this fall season, dropped a little mulie buck at 127 yards, went in through the shoulder and out the neck (quartering away shot) exit hole was about .5" in diameter and the deer collapsed like he had been struck by lightning.

[This message has been edited by yorick (edited 11-29-2001).]