NM Pronghorn Hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Here are two photos of my Sept. Pronghorn hunt

Outfitter: Bucks & Bulls

Guide: Robert Rayburn

Rifle: D'Arcy Echols Legend in 300 Wby

The pronghorn in the picture was the smallest of four shot from our camp. It grossed 84 2/8 B&C points.

[image]Photo 1 Photo 2

Posts: 219 | Location: Reading, PA | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Nice Buck!

Congrads!

Is there a good story behind it?

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a nice buck.

Posts: 513 | Location: MO | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Great antelope! You really shouldn't tease the forum by leaving out the story though!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Okay, I'll do my best.

The first day of the hunt was the 18th of Sept. The day was spent glassing over many Pronghorn, but there were no Antelope worthy of a stalk. The Pronghorn did educate me as to their accute eyesight. I swear they were staring at me as I was staring at them through the spotting scope.

Saturday night brought rain and lots of it. It made me feel like I was home in PA. We started hunting at sun up on Sunday. It was still raining and the winds also picked up over night. We stopped the truck to glass a small ravine and noticed two nice bucks. The thing that interested me about the hunt was how much time you have to evaluate the animals from a distance. My guide was superb at judging trophy quality. The two bucks were quite different. One buck was very tall and appeared not have mass and the other was not as tall, but had great mass. We watched the bucks for well over an hour, even watched them fight. The initial plan was to try a stalk and if either buck presented a shot I would take it. As the plan unfolded the heavy mass buck seperated from the group and set off by himself. We drove to a different observation point and decided to plan a stalk from over a mile away. The weather wasn't on our side as the rain continued and the wind was blowing quite hard (20-30mph). As we developed our plan the weather may have changed the Pronghorns plan as he decided to lay down and wait the storm out.

Luckily the topography had enough variation to keep us hidden from sight as we stalked. The last 200 yards were the hardest as we crawled into position. At a little over 200 yards we stopped to glass the buck again, and my guide realized on of his tips was broke off. He left it up to me if I wanted to continue and I didn't hesitate as a hunt isn't all about a score. It had been a great stalk and we successfully approached within 210 yards. What more could I ask for? As we continued glassing the Pronghorn stood up to look at a small herd of Pronghorn circling to our right. My guide ranged the buck as he stood and said he was 208 yards. I told him I would try to make the shot. This could be the point where I say I made the best shot of my life in a driving rain storm, but I flat out missed the first shot. The Pronghorn bounded off, my guide asked if I thought I hit him. I responded by saying "bullets are cheap" and let loose with a killing shot.

It was a great hunt!

Bryan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bryan,

Great story & photos! That is a super looking buck!

I have to get myself out West again and have a go at a Pronghorn. The hunt sounds like ALOT of fun....except
for the driving rain part but, then being from New Hampshire I am used to that.

Was your hunt for 3 days or longer? The Pronghorn hunts I have looked at all seem to be 3 days.

Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The hunt was scheduled to be a three day hunt. There is also a three day season in August.

It was lots of fun!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bryan,

What a beaut! Good show!

Regards,

Mark

Posts: 13015 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
If that's the smallest, how big was the biggest???

Pete

Posts: 810 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Bryan W:

I have only killed a dozen or so antelope, which may not qualify me to pose a question on your hunt.

In spite of appearing a fool but I wonder if you had enough gun for a 100# antelope? Do the antelope charge a hunter in New Mexico? Mmm, one learns new leason each day.

Posts: 9 | Location: Dillon,Montana | Registered: 28 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bryan,

That is a Dandy! Make certain your dad brings photos with him when he comes this way for Flintlock.

Many Thanks
HBH

one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a great buck! I hunted this area in August and we had this buck at 350 yards. We guessed him 84. Way to go!

Posts: 51 | Location: Utah | Registered: 29 September 2004Reply With Quote