Find
Notify
Tools

Elk hunting for foreign hunters??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted
If someone outside USA wants to go elk hunting, where are the best areas and what he must do??
You must go to public areas or private ranchs?
It's more common to hunt in fenced areas or is the other way round?
How much will cost?

Just courious and trying to learn something about elk hunting, nothing more.
LG

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo, this will give you an idea of expenses in Montana. Most of the hunting is public land. I recommend hiring a guide who is familiar with the area, regardless of which state you may choose. I suspect Colorado has somewhat better, and physically easier, hunting, so maybe someone from there will jump in.

http://www.fwp.state.mt.us/hunting/default.asp

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ric!!
LG

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo, I'll provide something like the outsiders perspective. Maybe it will be different from that of our US residents, maybe not?

If you are looking for a do-it-yourself hunt, the lower 48 (actually, the western part of that [Wink] ) will be your best (only?) bet. Our US residents will be a lot better qualified here to help you do the necessary research. Be aware, that a do-it-yourself elk hunt is usually a pretty low percentage affair in terms of success - that is if you manage to draw a tag, which can be a problem in many states (MT springs to mind). I'm not saying this would not be a good idea, just be aware of what you can expect. As somebody who would have to travel for a long way, with considerable cost involved, I suppose success rates matter more than if you can hunt in your own backyard?? Your mileage may vary??

If you have the cash, and you are willing to spend it on a guided hunt, your chances will immediately pick up. In that case, one option you should consider is to go to Canada instead of the US. Why? Main advantage is the season, there are not that many states in the Lower 48, which offer a rifle season in the rut. BC (and I believe Alberta) does. That makes a world of difference, as you know from your red stag hunting in Argentina. It is hard to say whether prices for guided hunts in Canada are higher or lower than in the US? On average, I believe the non-resident license costs are lower in Canada, and if you book with an outfitter, you don't have to draw for a tag (another advantage).

A true wilderness hunt (on horseback in the mountains in the fall) must be one of the finest hunting experience available to modern man. This can be had either in the US or in Canada, but as I said above, seasons are probably more advantageous for elk in Canada. All this naturally assuming you are not looking to hunt a fenced-in area - to kill a 400+ super-trophy at the bargain price of 10-20000US$ (a reality, if that is what you are looking for).

Later season, November, December hunts in the US can be very successful, Northern NM springs to mind. Not really true wilderness hunts, normally, but probably well worth while. Other states offer hunts where you hope to catch elk migration out of the high country. Can also be very successful, but you rely on hitting the right weather (snow) for the elk to move. Again, probably not the easiest if you are from abroad.

If I was looking for a guided hunt, I would probably start my research on the Web. There are a ton of good hunting "travel agents" - who have set up websites over the last years. Their prices will give you something to compare with. Don't worry about having to book through a well known booking agent. Perhaps the prices are not the absolute lowest, but you buy into a ton of experience and people who send a bunch of hunters into the field every year.

It is kind of hard to recommend any booking agents as such, there are just too many. I have had good results with Jim McCarthy in the past. Here on AR, Ray Atkinson is a well known quantity, and the Atchesons of MT have been in the business for years (Keith Atcheson is also active on AR). There are a ton of good options. Lots of places for you to start your research.

FWIW - mike

[ 04-11-2003, 21:30: Message edited by: mho ]

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo,

There is quite a lot of information to be found on the web, check out www.elkcamp.com for starters

DGK

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hadn't thought of Canada, and it is only a stones throw from where I sit. Expense wise, the exchange rate for money would be a better deal for you up there most likely. And there are some dandy bulls in some spectacular country.

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<firemen>
posted
lorenzo I looked in to it a few dozen times.Its to expensive for me.Any way you look at it. A good hunt your looking at $5,000 to $6,0000 plus getting there tags tips bla bla bla.Thats why I am going down by you next march.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Most Canadian outfitters charge in US dollars. I know one just across the border and the US huters he was guiding killed a couple of bruisers.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
The biggest issue with public hunts in the West is the low "success rate" in over the counter units.

Outfitters in some states have "set aside" tags for high success areas, which might be a good option.

For do-it-yourselfing, putting in for a "trophy area", and waiting for your number to come up in the lottery is the only way to do it, IMO. The learning curve (and the terrain) is just too steep for a beginner in all over-the-counter tag areas.

Cow hunts can be a good deal, too, and are often good do-it-yourself deals.

Privat "ranches" where you shoot stocked elk are another option, but run about twice what a good outfitted hunt costs. Better odds, but much less "experience". JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Thanks gentlemen!!
Sorry I don't answer before but I'm spending more and more days in the farm.
Hope someday to have enough $$$ to do it.
LG