Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mm Barnes X
 Login/Join

posted
I have a Win mod 70 in Super Grade with boss. system. I had a friend of mine who worked for Barnes work up a load for the boss. (I didnt have patience or the experise at that time)
It was 150 grain X boattail with 69 grains WMR & all Winchester brass chrono. at 3022fps. It shoots very good groups 3 shots are covered by a 25 cent piece at 100 yards 2 almost same hole. But it copper fouls very bad in my gun & my son inlaws ruger m77. I have been thinking about changing to the 160 tsx but it is not boattail just flat base. I want a load that will give me the knock down & the long range. I have killed 2 trophy size elk & several deer with this load at 200 to 300 yard range.
Will the 160 flat base in the coated tsx be a better load. Has anybody had any experience with this bullet. I am new to the forum. Thanks in advance.

Posts: 13 | Location: Lindon Utah | Registered: 03 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
Utah-

I use 160 gr. TSX's in my 7mm with great results. The fouling isn't nearly as bad as the orginal X-bullets, and they seem to open up a lot faster on smaller (deer) game and I get better accuracy. The load I use us 65 gr. of RL22 with a Federal 215 primer. The bullets are seated .05 off the lands.

Pete

Posts: 810 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
I have worked a couple of loads up with the 140 (7mag and 280), and it's rather boring. Seat about .025 off the lands, run the velocity to book max, and go hunting. No fiddling with seating depth or anything, and moa or better loads. They shoot through elk, so I can't say they don't do the job..... HTH, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Utah, Go with the 160 TSX as they have better Accuracy then a VLC Barnes bullet. As for a Boat Tail bullet the Boat Tail really does not do a lot until the bullet goes subsonic. Don't get me wrong a Boat tail will give you a higher bc but for anything under 500 yards I would not worry about it.

KA Firearms Customization LLC
Firearm Coating, Gun and Optics Sales
www.kafirearmsllc.com/

Posts: 370 | Location: Buxton, ND | Registered: 13 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
Utacowboy

You might want to attack it from a differant angle. Get you a can of Wipe Out. This stuff will get your bore so clean you will have to shoot it few times just to get your zero back.

Another thing about a fouled barrel is to me it ant fouled until you loose accuracy. I know its hard to look at, but if you are still shooting good groups I say leave it a lone.
Just a thought

Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluetick:

Another thing about a fouled barrel is to me it ant fouled until you loose accuracy. I know its hard to look at, but if you are still shooting good groups I say leave it a lone.
Just a thought

Shawn

Thanks for that Shawn,

I like that.

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I use the 140 grain TSX in my 7 Mag and it doesn't seem to copper foul any worse than conventional bullets. Saying that, the gun doesn't group well until it has about 6-8 bullets throught it. After that it is boringly consistent until I clean it again.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote