Find
Notify
Tools

say it aint so, uncle ted!!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of jb
posted
Just watched Ted Nugents show on tv.Ted was bowhunting in Michigan and shot a big buck.Only problem was...it had an eartag Roll Eyes Eeker
ole number 14.Im so disappointed.Teds killing livestock on TV.Is it just me,or does this not sit well with you?

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
I hate to admit it, but that cracks me up.

-eric

" . . . a gun is better worn and with bloom off---So is a saddle---People too by God." -EH

Posts: 952 | Location: Bakersfield, California | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ted has been shooting stuff like that for a long time.

Posts: 146 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ear-tag: Maybe that was a Price-tag instead.

The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but the experience.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
He owns his own preserve so you too can go and hunt deer, boars and other exotics on his property. I think it is called Sunrise Safaris or something like that. You can probably google it up.

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

It is with him as well as most of the other TV hunting shows. Many are staged,numerous takes, and lots of dubbing. And most are shot on game ranches, or private ranches in a controlled environment with herding and behind the scenes set ups.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
when it was time for the hero shot at the end,the ear tag was missing. Roll Eyes

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ted Nugent a high-fence hunter? That's really old news.

Posts: 130 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 03 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
I guess I'd have to say I havent watched his show at all till now.Or much hunting shows for that matter. thumbdown

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

One of Us
Picture of 300magman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kudu56:
quote:

It is with him as well as most of the other TV hunting shows. Many are staged,numerous takes, and lots of dubbing. And most are shot on game ranches, or private ranches in a controlled environment with herding and behind the scenes set ups.

I disagree. I have worked in outdoor TV for a few seasons now and I can assure you that all you have stated is not the case with a majority of shows. Do not let a few bad apples fool you into thinking it is like that with most shows.

Posts: 323 | Location: Jackson, Miss | Registered: 12 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess I'd have to say I havent watched his show at all till now.Or much hunting shows for that matter.

Simply entertainment! Plain and simple and pretty simple at that.

I to have helped, and hunted with hosts. I also know or knew three personally. There is very little "real" action, the hosts don't have the time or the money to do a "real" show. The succesful ones, repeatedly use high fence or privat ranches. The private ranches do it for advertisement. A deal is worked between the host and the ranch. Then certain parts are off limits to other hunters in an attempt to have a succesful hunt. It is all about money. Like I said, it is entretainment! Trumped up!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kudu56:
quote:
I guess I'd have to say I havent watched his show at all till now.Or much hunting shows for that matter.

Simply entertainment! Plain and simple and pretty simple at that.

I to have helped, and hunted with hosts. I also know or knew three personally. There is very little "real" action, the hosts don't have the time or the money to do a "real" show. The succesful ones, repeatedly use high fence or privat ranches. The private ranches do it for advertisement. A deal is worked between the host and the ranch. Then certain parts are off limits to other hunters in an attempt to have a succesful hunt. It is all about money. Like I said, it is entretainment! Trumped up!

Kudu56, you hit the nail right on the head. I know a few guys that were Elk hunting, and they could not use a certain area to hunt, it was reserved for a TV host. These hunts are staged or well planned out, all they need is someone to hold there hand and show them where the animal is. It's all about the money folks....

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
I hunted bear in Idaho with a well known TV personality and he hunted the same as the rest of us. I was first to shoot a bear on day one and as I recall he got his on day five.

Did not appear any special treatment to me. Not sure how much they paid.

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jb:
Just watched Ted Nugents show on tv.Ted was bowhunting in Michigan and shot a big buck.Only problem was...it had an eartag Roll Eyes Eeker
ole number 14.Im so disappointed.Teds killing livestock on TV.Is it just me,or does this not sit well with you?

I am SHOCKED!!!!! Eeker

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jb:Im so disappointed.Teds killing livestock on TV.Is it just me,or does this not sit well with you?

its just you.

N.O.Y.F.B. If you dont like it dont support ol ted. I bet he still supports you anyway. wave

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jb:

Would the animal be any less dead without the ear tag? It's a TV show about hunting nothing more, not exactly real hunting just entertaniment....

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
jb wrote: "Teds killing livestock on TV"

I have not seen the show and have no clue where he was hunting. But an ear tag does not mean that it was an "enclosed" animal. So unless you were actually there and have evidence to back what you say, you are doing nothing but promoting your own heresey.

Many state game departments capture animals, record data about them and then tag & release them. While it may not be very common, you can find a tagged animal in some of the most remote stretches of wilderness.

There are no concrete parallels between an animal having a tag and it being enclosed -- unless, of course, your handle is jb and you are desperately looking to stir the pot and continue an agenda.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9402 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Bobby,

You beat me to it.

And some WILD critters also sport full-fledged radio collars. -TONY

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Into the wild with Ted Nugent, the Oprah of Hunting

By Finn-Olaf Jones - Special to the Tribune

SPIRITWILD RANCH, WACO, Texas -- The fox prowled the edge of a line of trees, seeking a wild turkey or some other snack before sunset. Then the hunter became the hunted.

A military green Polaris ATV jerked to a sudden stop on the other side of the field. In one swift motion the driver reached behind the front seats, swung out a Browning bolt-action rifle and peered through the scope. At 275 yards it was literally a long shot. But this, after all, was the same man who in 1970 advised Jimi Hendrix to stop doing drugs.

Two shots broke the quiet of the dusk. The fox jumped, unhurt, and disappeared into the cover of the high grass and trees. The hunter swiveled back into the driver's seat.

"I swear the dust came up between his legs," he joked. "Maybe he can still walk, but he can't breed."

Welcome to the world of Ted Nugent, rock 'n' roll extremist, troubadour of such timeless guitar ballads as "Cat Scratch Fever," "Motor City Madhouse" and "Stranglehold," and--*** Cheney excluded--the most famous hunter in America today.

Nugent, his 6-foot-3-inch frame covered head to toe in camouflage, looked at least a decade younger than his 57 years. He was as animated as a teenager, his foot-long ponytail wagging in the wind, as he bounced the ATV over rugged trails, rock promontories and mud holes in search of prey on SpiritWild Ranch, his 300-acre spread outside Waco.

"My level of awareness is constantly being prodded as a hunter," Nugent exclaimed. "I'm high on backstraps! I'm high on the spiritual flight of the arrow!"

That sense of elation is what Nugent offers through his Sunrize Safaris outfitting company. Last year, some 500 paying hunters joined him on several dozen expeditions he arranges annually. The choices are exotic: from two-day, $1,500 "Pork Slam" boar hunts at Nugent's Sunrize Acres Ranch in his home state of Michigan to weeklong, $10,000 big-game safaris in South Africa. About 60 percent of his trips are geared toward bow-hunting. For $4,000, Nugent will personally guide you on a buffalo hunt at Sunrize Acres, which, given that one of his most famous rock ballads is "The Great White Buffalo," might be the most distinctive Nugent experience of all.

While he hasn't recorded a platinum record in more than a decade, Nugent's popularity as a hunter is off the charts. In a recent survey conducted by North American Hunter magazine, he topped the list when readers were asked whom they would most want to go hunting with. With a mini-media empire that includes books, TV shows and a magazine, he's become the Oprah of hunting. He is editor and publisher of Adventure Outdoors magazine. He has a gaggle of cable TV shows, "Wanted Ted or Alive" on the Outdoor Life Network (which morphed out of "Surviving Nugent," still airing VH1), "Ted Nugent Spirit of the Wild" on the Outdoor Channel and a rock show, "Supergroup," premiering on VHI in May. His cookbook, "Kill It and Grill It," written with his wife, Shemane, is now in its 12th printing. (Sample quote: "We don't just cook; we dance naked to the primordial campfire of life.")

He is a board member of the National Rifle Association and one of its top spokesmen. "Here's my proposed U.S. foreign policy," he announced at a rock concert in Los Angeles two years ago, holding aloft an automatic rifle that looked big enough to blast a bowling alley through Barbra Streisand's mansion. His 2000 best-selling, in-your-face celebration of personal firepower, "God, Guns and Rock 'n' Roll," reads like Hunter S. Thompson without the drugs: "The rapid sequential pulsations of an M-16 held tight in my hands, virtually spitting out a torrent of lead, is truly ballistic heaven." He has been a professional hunting guide since 1972.

Nugent was using a conventional hunting rifle on his recent hunt at SpiritWild, but even if he didn't shoot anything, he was going to make sure his companions shared the exhilaration of being out in the wild at dusk loaded with enough firepower to win the West all over again.

Four blackbuck--sleek deer-like animals once indigenous to India and now bred for hunting throughout Texas--made spectacular ballerina leaps across the trail 20 yards in front of the ATV. They were out of season, so Nugent made a gesture as if he were shooting them with a bow.

"There's my idea of fast food," he exclaimed.

At the pre-hunt dinner, while presiding over a large outdoor barbecue on the lawn of his white stone ranch house overlooking a man-made pond, Nugent demonstrated his famous barbecue techniques with knives and tongs brandished with the same manic energy as his guitar. Dinner was a wild boar that Nugent had hunted down with his bow. He pulled out a Glock pistol from a holster hidden somewhere under his loose fatigues.

"I always like to be ready," he said, smiling. Four fully loaded clips also came out. Was it uncomfortable carrying around all that metal? "I'm uncomfortable without it," he responded.

"I'm convinced that the energy and force of my music is a direct result of this vitality that springs forth from breathing the air and pursuing the beast," Nugent said. He had just finished a concert tour and is scheduled to spend a month in a recording studio before starting to tour again in May--all of this between shooting his cable shows and frequent speaking engagements around the country.

Nugent has been hunting since he was 6, and came under the tutelage of his father's friend Fred Bear, a legendary bow maker widely credited with modernizing bow hunting. In 1975, exhausted by his touring schedule, Nugent took some time out in the Colorado Rockies and killed his first deer with a bow and arrow. It was a transformational experience. "I just danced naked and humped the sky," Nugent remembered. The bow remains his weapon of choice.

"All these great musicians were destroying their talent with drugs," said Nugent, who has been vocally anti-drug, even anti-tobacco, since early in his rock career. "The whole world was dying around me. To get close enough with a sharp stick to kill your dinner is the quintessential test of your awareness."

"Ozzie got high, and Ozzie's brain dead," he added, referring to Ozzie Osbourne. "I went hunting, and I'm still Ted." He happily stabbed the barbecuing wild boar with his tongs. "You ready for some real free-range food?"

A few minutes later the large slabs of rib were served at the big kitchen table downstairs in Nugent's airy and simply furnished family room. A buck was mounted over the fireplace--clearly the crib of a rock star who has traded bling for bang. The ribs were seared on the outside and miraculously light and tender on the inside, more like ahi tuna than pork.
"I don't want to hire people to kill tortured chickens on an assembly line to have my dinner," Nugent said. "I look my dinner in the eye when I kill it. We honor it." As with almost all the meat his family has consumed for the past two decades, Nugent had tracked this particular dinner every step of the way from field to plate, and he is ready to take on all comers who challenge his right to do so. Even vegetarians.

"I love vegetarians," he said, motioning to the ribs with his fork. "This guy was a vegetarian. All I eat are vegetarians, except for the occasional mountain lion."

Behind his verbal bravura is a man prepared to wade into long discussions about biodiversity, land sustainability, calorie efficiencies and other minutiae of the hunting debate. His obsession for detail also carries into his expeditions. Before climbing into his ATV for the evening's excursion for wild turkeys around the ranch with a reporter and two photographers in tow, Nugent carefully inspected his weapons and ammunition. Then he did a mad air guitar jam on his "Nuge bow" while his three hunt dogs went crazier than teenage groupies.

Driving out of his ranch yard he passed life-size models of deer and other game, archery bales and steel-backed gun targets, everything dented and perforated from frequent target practice.

Nugent is usually one of the first ones up at camp, cooking breakfast, tracking animals and preparing tree stands. While many of his hunts take place on his own properties, he also uses other hunting ranches or private game parks. Hunters sleep in nearby hotels or in bunkhouses and cabins on the grounds. The actual hunting occurs around sunrise and dusk, and the rest of the time is spent on target practice, meals, campfires and a seemingly inexhaustible supply of "Tribe Nuge" philosophy, exuberance and rock 'n' roll.

Occasionally Nugent has been forced to explain the lyrics of "Cat Scratch Fever" to amused middle-aged hunters--some of whom had no idea about his second life as a rock n' roll star--around the campfire. On other occasions, rock fans masquerading as hunters end up with all the finer points of hunting techniques personally given by Nugent when their ineptitude becomes obvious. "It's kind of sweet," Nugent said. "Some of them end up actually hunting."

"Ted feels responsible for people's money--he wants people to get a bang for their buck," said Calvin Ross, who became so inspired by bow hunting with Nugent that he opened an archery annex to his guitar store in Waco. "He's always got the guitar with him. But there's no smoking in camp," Ross noted.

"There's no one I know who has the passion of the outdoors as Ted does," said Craig Kirkpatrick, a Minneapolis real estate broker who has been on six Sunrize hunts with Nugent. "On a hunt he can be laid back and quiet or quite intense. But he's always fun."

For the past 17 years, Nugent has operated the non-profit Ted Nugent Kamp for Kids to introduce kids to hunting with an emphasis on safety and bow hunting. "We take them from their first hiccup to their first [killed animal] gut pile," he said. Several handicapped and terminally ill children attend the camp each summer.

The sun has set at SpiritWild, and Nugent is perched at the side of a cliff overlooking the Bosque River, which borders the property. The ranch is only a few miles from President Bush's Crawford spread, and Nugent is friendly with both the president and his Secret Service agents, some of whom reportedly drop by for a little target practice.

In the distance his three dogs are braying, ready to hunt again, which, given the busy lineup of expeditions coming up, they shall. "There's an overabundance of wildlife right now. Our frontiers are so overburdened, you've got deer running around in urban New Jersey and cougars attacking people in Los Angeles," Nugent said, excitedly fingering his Glock. "These are the good old days for hunting."

And he intends to get as many people out to enjoy them as possible.

----------

ctc-travel@tribune.com

- - -

IF YOU GO - THE HUNTS

Sunrize Safaris is taking reservations for two-day hunts with Ted Nugent for axis, aoudad, oryx, fallow and blackbuck at Nugent's SpiritWild Ranch near Waco, Texas. Cost: $5,000 per person. You can also reserve a three-day deer bowhunt at Nugent's Sunrize Acres ranch in Michigan for $7,500. All meals and accommodations included.

Sunrize Safari's also organizes hunting trips with other guides.

INFORMATION

Nugent USA, 4008 W. Michigan Ave., Jackson, MI 49202; 800-343-4868; www.tednugent.com

--F.O.J.

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
He is still a great spokesman for hunting and gun owners.

I have seen the ear tag shots on his tv show that was filmed at his Michigan place (sunrize acres). I think it is around 350 acres. The ear tags had nothing to do with "wild" or Game Dept. tagged animals. You see the tags in the ears of his hogs, deer, and some of the goats.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I have a good friend who ownes a 500 acre. high fence ranch and he tells me you would be suprized what shows have been filmed on his place. But I personaly could't care less what he kills I would be doing a ton of critter killing myself if I had his $$$$ situation.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:

unless, of course, your handle is jb and you are desperately looking to stir the pot and continue an agenda.

Im not desperately doing anything.maybe a little pot stirring,but thats about all.And I dont have an agenda.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Im not desperately doing anything.maybe a little pot stirring,but thats about all.And I dont have an agenda.

You are just telling it like you see it! Like we say, it is entertainment! I no longer subscribe, to many shows that have same scenerios, same technique, and pretty much running commercials for gadgets and goods. So it being my choice, I just dont watch it any more. I am sorry, I can only watch so many turkey and whitetail hunts! And if a guy wants to hunt on 350 acres or 50 acres or 35,000 acres, that is his business. I went once with Keith Warren and his son. Had a great time, shot a nice blackbuck. Great people. Enjoyed geating out of Wyoming in winter to go hunting!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JB
Based on the discussions we had last year, with all due respect I would say its just you. As I have pointed out before, I hunt on a 1700 acre pasture six miles off the road in the middle of a 30,000 acre ranch It is no/low fenced. All animals are free ranging. Three seasons ago I started to shoot a doe. After getting her in my scope I noticed that she had a 2" diameter yellow tag in one ear. I didn't know the circumstances so I did not shoot. Saw her once again the next year. Didn't see her last year.Quien Sabe as the mexicans say. Not all animals with tags are domestic or contained behind a fence. Mabye you ought to contact uncle Ted and ask him what the circumstances were before you jump to conclusions.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
Ted is a strong advocate for hunters and gun owners in public forums (radio talk shows, etc.). My guess is that some of his hunting shows are on private hunting ranches, but so are many other hunting shows. I appreciate his strong vocal stance for gun and hunting rights.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Like others mentioned, many of the shows today are on high fence opperations. I've seen ranches that were not high fenced and the game was still just as easy to hunt.

It's entertaiment plain and simple. I get a kick out of watching some of the shows even though I don't approve of some of their methods. Beats the heck out of watching soap operas and the ridiculoud reality shows on the market...

Ted, regardless of his hunting style, is a very important advocate of our hunting passion and our right to bear arms. Simply for that, I feel he is an ok fella, weird but ok in my book.

Have a Good One

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ted is the single most sought after spokesman regarding gun rights and hunting.

while there certainly segments of his show i dislike, i am thankful he speaks out as he does.

like him or not, we owe him something for his beliefs and willingness to shout said beliefs anywhere, anytime.

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBGuy:

like him or not,

Actually,I have always liked ted,even had some of his albums ,years ago.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I doubt many of us would think twice to fish a well stocked farm pond full of big catfish/bass or big bluegills and be dam proud of the big stringer of fish we caught.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
I doubt many of us would think twice to fish a well stocked farm pond full of big catfish/bass or big bluegills and be dam proud of the big stringer of fish we caught.

High fence-farm pond.........same dif....and I don't even fish.

I know a feller in Alaska that would like for his caribou in a high fence, would make it a lot easier to feed his family.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 344 | Location: Bean Town in the worthless nut state | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeez, some of you live in fantasy land...How many good TV shows would there be on an actual hunt for big game with a TV crew stomping along behind you scaring off everything shootable...

Mostly these movies are made by a cameraman filming the kill, then they go back and film a fake stalk, usually simular to the real one..Even that can be quite difficult..

To do otherwise would be difficult to impossible on many species..

I suppose thats why they film so many Whitetail stand hunts that is probably much easier..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote