New
Find
Notify
Tools

Get to Know your Gun.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was in a position where I had various guns at my feet, or the money to buy what I wanted.
I chose to focus on my .300 weatherbyMK Dlx 26",2.5-8xLeupold,Leupold bridgebase,redfeild Low rings. It weighed about 9.75lb.
I used that for everything I did:
- Plains shooting on bypod and offhand.
- stalking in the forest
-chasing hog on foot in the pines with and without dogs,
- riding "shotgun" and solo on motorbikes,resting across my thighs or strapped across my back,
-chased game on foot for 400yds on the plains to intercept for a good shot,
-spotlighting.
-Blind shooting.

It is amazing how you can focus on what you have and make the most of it.I didnt feel like I needed another rifle, I was getting everthing done and it balanced/steadied nicely with that weight .The only change I made to that rifle was aBrown precision glass/graphite stock which brought the weight to 9 1/4 lb.It then became alittle nose heavy,great! And I shot that thing without arecoil pad installed. In the field it didnt matter, on the bench I used a small sand bag between us. It actually felt less with that stock than with original wood. I ran absolute fearless full loads in that 300(81-83gns imr4831/180gnBT), it recoiled more, but was not as sharp as the 270mag. It was actually amuch nicer rig to shoot than my 8.5lb 270magMkV. In future I would opt for a 27" tube on the 300WM slightly larger dia, and fluted. I would have felt even better with a340WM running the GS custom 200gnHV@3300.(with a pad Big Grin)
I had immense confidence in that rig and myself. I took two ostriches offhand that were running flatout well over 200yds away. Another gun I had, I was missing shots at stationary hogs no more than 50yds away.

one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
I agree totaly. I am in the process of converting all of my rifles to feel the same. Same stock, same safety and same scope and sight set up.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
El Caballero, some folks have questions for you on your previous thread concerning Missouri hunts that you were considering to offer.

DB

Posts: 1370 | Location: Home but going back. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dungbeetle:
El Caballero, some folks have questions for you on your previous thread concerning Missouri hunts that you were considering to offer.

DB

I think I have caught up with everyone if not shoot me a PM

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunt small game, varmints and big game with many different guns. Many of them vary quite a bit in fit and operation and I am happy to work it out with each of them. I like these varied guns from pistols, revolvers, shotguns of various types, a drilling and many rifles. At present I have well over a dozen rifles just for woods hunting for instance.

I also have many different loads for each gun and enjoy reduced loads and other special purpose loads. I just concentrate on each gun as I carry it and it works out.

When I go to the range I bring about five guns and shoot them round robin. This is what I like to do.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote