Notify
Tools

Re: Nosler Ballistic Tip
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Quote:

did ballistic tip blow up on entry shoulder

No they did not.They expanded very rapidly though and stopped in the offside shoulder.I have not seen a ballistic tip blow up since I hit a deer in the shoulder using the original 100gr version in my 257wby.The damage was extreme but the deer did go down quickly.As I said previously I have taken about 30 head of big game with the 140gr-7mm ballistic tip out of my 7mmstw's(3500fps).I have also taken 6 elk and 2 moose with the 180gr-.308" ballistic tip out of my 300ultramag(3340fps) and about a dozen head of deer and pronghorn with the 100gr-257 ballistic tip out of the 257wby(3500fps).Not one animal covered 50 yards after being hit and the only cases where the bullets expanded too rapidly for my tastes were with the 100gr -257 ballistic tip.The animals did go down quickly but a little more penetration with this particular load combination would be desireable.The 7mm and .308" ballistic tips did penetrate more.Then again I am using the ballistic tips at higher than normal velocities.At velocities of 3000fps or less, they should perform even better.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
I used the .270 140 Ballistic tip exclusively for many years from my .270 Win. My velocity was at 2850 . I neck shot many whitetail and mule deer with it and never failed to have an exit wound after smashing the neck and spine. I think you will be just fine!!

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have taken around 30 head of big game including pronghorn,bighorn,muledeer and whitetails(several in excess of 300lbs live weight)using the 140gr ballistic tip out of my 7mmstw's with a muzzle velocity of 3500fps.I use lung shots so meat damage is minimal.Kills are very quick as not one animal has covered 50 yards after being shot.Most of the complaints about ballistic tips come from people that tried the original versions which were very soft,or from people that have not used them at all and are repeating rumors.The ballistic tip line has been changed over the years with some particular bullets having up to four different versions.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
That's a pretty fragile bullet for such a violent cartridge. You should probably consider something a bit tougher like a Partition for that cartridge.

In my experience that Ballistic Tips destroy way too much meat in high velocity firearms. I only use them now in my Encore 308 Pistol with the 15" barrel. In all other firearms I use Partitions for Whitetail and all other "medium" game.

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Joe; I'm sure you will gets lots of help with this here. Suffice to say, that for deer and antelope, you'll be fine. Just be prepared for lots of meat damage (that's never bothered me, I'm not really a meat hunter) and there's always an outside chance of bullet "blowup" if you hit bone at close ranges, but I expect the antelope will be at longer ranges. But like I said, you can probably use wadded up paper on those two animals and get away with it. I take it you're using a 130gr? jorge

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote