New
Find
Notify
Tools

best guess
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
If a whitetail doe had a 34 inch neck, how much would you guess it weigh?

Posts: 598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 16 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Chigger>
posted
Robert D Lyons......I have hunted many an acre down in Licking Missouri when I was a younker.

I have never in my life seen a whitetail deer in Missouri with a 34 inch neck, not buck or doe. I have however shot a 28.75 12 point buck during the rut, that dressed out 202 pounds west of Kirkville Mo. It had a bigger neck than my friends buck which was much bigger in body weight.
I would say if everything is in perportion to the neck, somewhere in the 350 dressed range. Now that would make the deer somewhere in the 450 pound range.....close to cow elk size.

[ 12-27-2002, 01:07: Message edited by: Chigger ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd guess that it weighed 1200lb on the hoof, and that you should watch out for the farmer that owned it.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The reason I asked is that I have never measured a deer that I have shot and I have never heard of measuring the neck. There is a gentleman at work who always shoots a bigger animal than everyone else. He was telling us about a doe he shot that had a 34 inch neck and it was so big that he had to get a bunch of people to get it into his truck.

Chigger, if you are ever in the area again, feel free to stop by and visit. Where is Chester? I have a lot of relatives in the Chicagoi area.

Posts: 598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 16 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
About the size of an elk that would be one big doe. [Wink] What ring on your Shepards would you use for range finding on that one.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Chigger>
posted
Robert the only people who have real need to measure a neck on any animal are those that are in the business of mounting animals, a Taxidermist.

Now when the weather warms up a spell, I will be riding my bike over to your neck of the woods. I remember hunting deer years ago and finding an old abandoned cemetary back in the woods near there. Now that was a little spooky to a young kid, let me tell yeah.

I seriously doubt that your friend ever shot such a doe deer in the state of Missouri or anyplace else, that is a whopper of a measurement. I know a friend of mine that shot a big buck that had a neck measurement of almost 29 inches and he was a 220 plus dressed deer from up North near Kirksville I believe. [Smile]

[ 12-27-2002, 01:09: Message edited by: Chigger ]