Find
Notify
Tools

Donating Wild Hogs to Hungry
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
Does anyone know of places that will take Wild Hogs as donation for meat? I have researched Hunters for the Hungry and it doesn't really look like they will take swine. Our lease is located in Mason, TX in the Hill Country and we will be taking more pigs than we can eat and are looking for a place to donate them. Any help would be appreciated.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3110 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My church in San Antonio takes wild game, grinds it into hamburger and distributes it in the inner city. Where are you out of?

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Someone on another forum ran into this a few years ago. Hunters for the Hungry can't take the swine because it is not USDA approved.

I'm probably oversimplifying this, but that was the gist of their experience.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thats strange,,HFH here in my part of VA has never said if they would take them,, but for us to donate deer to them, the Packing house used here CAN NOT be USDA approved, as I was told if they are they can not process wild game.

Stay Alert,Stay Alive
Niet geschoten is altijd mis

Hate of America is the defeat position of failed individuals and the failing state

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave,

I think it is the same issue in Texas. Venison is wild game, so no USDA approval is required, but, in Texas at least, they do not consider pigs game animals but livestock, so they need to be USDA approved.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perry --- How do you get in touch with your church? We have both deer & pigs. Also what about exotic sheep (moufon-red). Email Capmed@sbcgloal.net
Thanks, Lee

Sorrry bout the hijack

Posts: 208 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: 14 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
church's website is www.reallife.org

guy in charge of meat collection is Willy Mayfield and his e-mail is wmayfield@reallife.org

If it is good meat I assume they will take anything in regards to exotics,sheep, etc...

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could try Granzin's Meat Market in New Braunfels. They're great for venison and they will process anything.

In any event, I'm sure they can probably tell you what the story is.

bob

Posts: 26 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob,
Is Granzin's a HFH drop-off?

Perry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would guess that the closest place to Mason to donate the hog meat would be Kerrville or Ingram but I"m not really sure. There is a place in Brownwood but I think they are only open during deer season.
When getting rid of hogs sometimes, as bad as it sounds, you just have to leave them lay or stack them somewhere. Some of the meat on some of those big boar is pretty rank anyway.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote