THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Black Hawaiian Sheep Hunt on the Big Island, HI

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Black Hawaiian Sheep Hunt on the Big Island, HI
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted
I had the opportunity to do a little hunting prior to a meeting here on the Big Island of Hawaii. I hunted with Pat Fisher again who offers hunts for Spanish goat, Black Hawaiian Sheep, wild boar, axis deer, mouflon sheep, and Vancouver bulls, as well as, turkeys and upland game birds across the Hawaiian Islands. Last summer I hunted a Spanish goat and had a blast!

We hunted two different areas of the 25,000 acre horse and cattle ranch. It was interesting how the sheep didn't roam over the entire ranch area. They had areas that they preferred and stayed in those general locations. The first area was very dense trees. We saw plenty of sheep in these forests but not the right one. The second area was more of a rolling open plains type of area with long shots possible.

I took my sheep in the second area as we found him alone under a shade tree during the middle part of the day. Most of the sheep were in flocks consisting of family groups with immature up and comers in with the family flocks. We found bachelor rams of 2-5 sheep throughout the day. We saw probably close to 300 sheep throughout the day. We certainly saw rams that were longer than the one I shot, but still needed another year or two before reaching the proper age. Once we found this guy off by himself, he was an instant ram meeting the criteria I had set. I didn't really care about the length of the horns, but I wanted an old mature ram above anything else. You'll notice he had already lost one of his front teeth.

Black Hawaiian Ram

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Your job sucks!

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Yeah, well someone has to do it, so might as well be me!!! Cool

Graybird

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I 100% agree buddy tu2 congrats

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
looks like fun!
any of him make it to the table???

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
very nice, looks like you had a good hunt

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2007 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good job graybird. I received my head and cape on Thursday and Steve had thrown in the backstrap and hind quarters from the mouflan. I don't know how the blacksheep taste but the mouflan is great.

DRSS

Posts: 625 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice one!

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does he smell as bad as your last sheep? Good job buddy!

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
All of the meat was donated to a church over by Hilo. They wanted a sheep for a series of lessons about sustainable use of natural resources.

This guy was in pretty poor shape. He had very little muscle definition. His back straps were virtually nonexistent.

No bad smell with this guy. Just smelled like a sheep and the lanolin from the wool.

I spoke with my guide earlier today and we're gonna try for a trophy boar on Wednesday over by Hilo in the rain forests.

Graybird

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Were you hunting on Parker Ranch on the north end of the Big Island? Congrats on a nice, old fella!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice looking ram. I never did any sheep hunting when I was stationed there. But, I shot a lot of goats and hogs on Oahu. There is some surprisingly good hunting there. Add in the diving, surfing, spearfishing, sailing and bikinis and you have a pretty enjoyable place.

I spent a little over 3 years in Pearl Harbor. It was a really good time for a single man with no bills.

Posts: 2940 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice. | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice Ram! I really need to drag the wife over there for another vacation.

Posts: 179 | Location: South of Anchorage | Registered: 21 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I always liked hunting Corsican sheep. We hunt them free range in the Trans-Pecos region in Texas on high cliffs. People call them different names, but basically there is the Black Hawaiian (black), Texas Dall (white), Painted Desert (Light Tan), and Barbados (dark tan with black belly) are all Corsican. We get some that are so old that they are blind. I just need a painted desert and I'll have all four.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3046 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad you had fun, Pat does a good job. DId you see his Axis? Wade

Posts: 633 | Location: California | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
We were not hunting on the Parker Ranch. I'm not exactly sure of the ranch's name, but I can say it was about 30-40 minutes south of Kona and then another 20-30 minutes up the ranch roads.

Pat and his guys do an excellent job! Kevin and Damien have been excellent guides and I couldn't recommend them more.

Wade, we didn't see any axis on the Big Island, but I understand they are there and growing. Most of the axis are on Lanai and Maui that I know of.

Graybird

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Exactly, Lanai is the place. Have fun!

Posts: 633 | Location: California | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
We went after a Wild Boar yesterday afternoon, but didn't have any luck. We saw plenty of pigs, but not the right one. I considered taking a boar in the 90-100 lb range, but he didn't have the tusks that I was looking for.

Not a problem though, as it will give me a chance to come back!

Graybird

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wade Derby:
Exactly, Lanai is the place. Have fun!

Wade, Pat passed on your "Hello".

Thanks,

Graybird