New
Find
Notify
Tools

325WSM scores five 1-shot Elk kills!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Read my first "article" about the 325WSM by a noted Gun Rag writer last night. He happened to mention the first 5 Elk killed with it were all "1-shot kills" and said that a couple of times in the article.

Here are some selected exerts from what I read, I have only modified it enough to make it shorter and clear about what was going on:

The first kill was made by a guide named Kevin. He could see a small group of bachelor Bulls across a ravine in oak brush. Dropped to his knee and got the 325WSM atop some shooting sticks and waited patiently for the largest Bull to clear the thicket. "The shot, at 250 yards, brought no reaction. Kevin cycled the bolt and fired again. Through binoculars, I saw dew erupt on the Elk's neck. He charged into the draw and piled up."

Ron had a similar shot. He managed to sneak to a rise above a small herd and got his shooting sticks out. "A branch antlered Bull stopped to our guide's whistle, and at 230 yards Ron fired. The animal took a step and fell."

The author belly crawled to within 180 yards of two Elk and the Elk laid down. He cranked the scope up to 12x. "This was the first time I'd had use for the extra power in my sight. Focused at 200 yards, the big glass showed me branches I wouldn't have seen with the 4x and 6x sights I usually prefer. And it showed me a football size gap to the forward rib." Blah, blah, blah and with one shot the Elk was dead.

"The other two hunters from our group killed Elk toward the end of the week, in snow. The .325 thus tallied five one-shot kills on five Bull Elk."
……..

Anybody see anything strange or wrong in the story?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Yeah, I do.

I know lots of guys who have scored more than five consecutive one-shot kills on elk with a wide variety of cartridges, including my great uncle with his .300 Savage, my old neightbor Leonard Thompson with his .270 Win., my hunting partner Dave Montgomery with his 7mm Rem. Mag., plus several friends have with their .338s, and a few other guys with .30-06s. I myself, through last season, have scored more than that many consecutive one shot kills with a mix use of .300 Win. and .338 Win.

The .325 WSM might be new alright, but in a practical sense it isn't any different (or in some cases even as good) as many cartridges that have proceeded it. It brings nothing new to the table other than the fact that it's short and fat a wears no belt -- none of those factors making it a better elk killer than anything else. Although I'm sure that some of the gunwriters would love to plant visions of incredible, other-worldly performance in the minds of the pilgrims. Ya' gotta dance with the one that brung ya'! Right????

So the .325 WSM has pulled-off five consecutive elk kills. Big deal!

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, the thing that jumped out at me was the first elk took 2 shots, not one. What mag was this in?

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
Read my first "article" about the 325WSM by a noted Gun Rag writer last night. He happened to mention the first 5 Elk killed with it were all "1-shot kills" and said that a couple of times in the article.

Here are some selected exerts from what I read, I have only modified it enough to make it shorter and clear about what was going on:

The first kill was made by a guide named Kevin. He could see a small group of bachelor Bulls across a ravine in oak brush. Dropped to his knee and got the 325WSM atop some shooting sticks and waited patiently for the largest Bull to clear the thicket. "The shot, at 250 yards, brought no reaction. Kevin cycled the bolt and fired again. Through binoculars, I saw dew erupt on the Elk's neck. He charged into the draw and piled up."

Ron had a similar shot. He managed to sneak to a rise above a small herd and got his shooting sticks out. "A branch antlered Bull stopped to our guide's whistle, and at 230 yards Ron fired. The animal took a step and fell."

The author belly crawled to within 180 yards of two Elk and the Elk laid down. He cranked the scope up to 12x. "This was the first time I'd had use for the extra power in my sight. Focused at 200 yards, the big glass showed me branches I wouldn't have seen with the 4x and 6x sights I usually prefer. And it showed me a football size gap to the forward rib." Blah, blah, blah and with one shot the Elk was dead.

"The other two hunters from our group killed Elk toward the end of the week, in snow. The .325 thus tallied five one-shot kills on five Bull Elk."
……..

Anybody see anything strange or wrong in the story?

I have done that, but on moose with my .338WM. A friend on mine has done the same with his 7mm Magnum.

Posts: 1103 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BigRx
posted Hide Post
I guess if you miss with the first and then hit with the second........

Then the bull charged into the draw.....

I guess it is a one shot kill; sort of......

But give him a break! He's using one of those new sort of.... cartridges!

BigRx

Posts: 208 | Location: Idaho Rockies | Registered: 25 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no interest in short mags because they do not handle heavy bullets well. And because they are short and fat. And because I prefer a standard length action over a short action. And because they are trendy. Etc.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hot Core, something I see wrong is that you quoted excerpts from an article written in a published magazine, WITHOUT attribution of the magazine, or the author. That is copyright infringement.

As for one shot stops on bull elk, my cousin has killed quite a few with one shot from his old Win. Fwt. .308 Win., using 180 grains bullets. He hunts hard and gets close.

FWIW. L.W.

"A 9mm bullet may expand but a .45 bullet sure ain't gonna shrink."

Posts: 349 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marc_Stokeld:
Well, the thing that jumped out at me was the first elk took 2 shots, not one. What mag was this in?
Yes, the 2-shots at the first Elk which was only counted as "one" is what caught my attention too. Interesting that the very first shot ever taken at an Elk with the 325WSM was apparently a total miss. And only 250yds.

The magazine was the Bugle and I've intentionally chosen not to mention the writer. I feel sure he will re-word and reprint this in a good number of magazines, but just remember the "first shot" was a miss.

My buddies used to call it a "Warning Shot", when it would occasionally happen to someone on a hunt and we knew about it. Better than a Gut Shot or shot at the Wrong End, but not something people I hunt with would like other folks to know about.

So, I really do not agree with the five 1-shot kills. Sure looks like something moscow bill's crew would have skewed in an attempt to make him look good. Just not impressed with the "writer", but the 325WSM certainly has the potential to be a useful cartridge if folks want that new WSM case.
---

By the way, this same "writer" goes on to say how he believes the Remington 6.8mm SPC will be adequate for Elk. It is basically the ancient old .30Rem necked to 0.277" and has a 115gr bullet in it at 2800fps to generate "a ton of energy at the muzzle".

And he goes on to mention how one of his buddies has killed 20 Bulls with a 25-06 using a 100gr Hornady. Plus he recounts the huge amount of Elk killed by the old 30-30.

So, apparently any of you using anything above a 25-06 or a 30-30 for Elk hunting are just w-a-y over gunned! Big Grin

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fusino
posted Hide Post
I am not sure why it is so surprising that they were 1-shot kills. I have seen numerous elk killed with one shot from a 7mm mag using 160 Nosler Partitions. I don't think a bullet weighing less than 180 grains is ideal for elk, but you certainly don't need at 325WSM to make a one-shot kill. If you can place the bullet well, then you can kill an elk with one shot. In other words there are a lot more 1-shot kills than a lot of people think, but man hunters are so quick to shoot the animal again. Shooting him again doesn't necessarily kill him faster.

This also brings up another point. I have seen many a hunter after shooting an elk once and putting it right into the vital zone rack another shell and fire another shot sometimes follow by yet another. Meanwhile the elk has not moved but a few yards. Afterwards the hunter claims, "man elk sure are bullet sponges!" And I'm thinking, well if you would give him 10 seconds to die after your initial shot, you might change your mind. In other words, I think there are a lot more 1-shot kills than people think...it's just that so many hunters are so quick to shoot again. Another bullet isn't going to necessarily kill him faster if the first was well-placed...it might ruin more meat though =)

--->Happiness is nothing but health and a poor memory<---Albert Schweitzer
--->All I ever wanted was to be somebody; I guess I should have been more specific<---Lily Tomlin

posted Hide Post
Yawn. sleep

I shot my elk with a .338WM: one-shot kill.
My wife shot her elk with a .30-06: one-shot kill.

So, based on the small statistical sample of seven elk, the .325WSM is no better or worse than either the .30-06 or .338WM.

The difference is, a lot of people ALREADY own a .30-06 and/or a .338WM.

Writers have to sell articles; gun makers have to sell guns. When they get together, your pocket gets picked. Big Grin

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fusino
posted Hide Post
^^well said

--->Happiness is nothing but health and a poor memory<---Albert Schweitzer
--->All I ever wanted was to be somebody; I guess I should have been more specific<---Lily Tomlin

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fusino:
I am not sure why it is so surprising that they were 1-shot kills. ...
Hey Fusino, I'm not surprised at the ability of the 325WSM to make a 1-shot kill on an Elk. What I'm surprised about is the initial shot was apparently a "total miss" and the second shot killed the Elk.

The reason for the thread was to see if people believe it is OK to count a "miss" as if it never happened.

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
The reason for the thread was to see if people believe it is OK to count a "miss" as if it never happened.

I read the same article and had the same thought but came to the conclusion that, for the purpose of the point he was making, it was a one-shot kill.

My feelings in reading the article were also the same as some of the posters above...so what. I've killed two bison in the last couple months (one yesterday) with one shot each from my 6.5 Gibbs. It doesn't mean anything.

I am sure the 325 WSM is a fine elk cartridge though.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I am not a religious man but Amen brother,

Ditto everything 500Grains said!

The short mags are worthless, trim 8 ounces off your fat gut and get up the mountain. That's all your gaining with a short mag.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
It depends on what your definition of "is, is". It was a single shot that killed the bull. A miss is a miss, at least he didn't have to shoot it 3-4 times.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
Yep, one of those elk was killed with one shot... eventually Wink

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a nephew do a "one shot kill" on an Elk also a couple of years ago. He shot at it 8 times and hit it once, and the Elk died, so that must count as a one shot kill, right? At least by gunrag standards.

All 5 of those Elk were not tied to posts and shot from a rest at 50 yds, on a game farm were they?

Poachers have been known to kill Elk with one shot from a 22 LR also, in the middle of the night, by shooting for the eye.

I am just glad someone was impressed with 5 one shot kills with the 325 WSM, but I for one was not impressed to think I need to go by one. I'd actually haul a time proven 8 x 57, over a newer 325 WSM. Both will do the job, by why buy a new oddity, when you can have something just as competent that has been around for 100 yrs doing the same job???

Cheers and Good shooting
seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Things I like about the 325 WSM are;

1-its capacity

2-the caliber

3-the fact that it has already spawned new 8mm bullets

Things I dont like about it;

1-its TOO short and fat

2-the cost/availability of brass

3-it would be a PITA to make work in a Mauser action..

Posts: 10170 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That article gives the rifle credit for the shooter's performance when the two are completely separate issues. Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by allen day:
Yeah, I do.

I know lots of guys who have scored more than five consecutive one-shot kills on elk with a wide variety of cartridges, including my great uncle with his .300 Savage, my old neightbor Leonard Thompson with his .270 Win., my hunting partner Dave Montgomery with his 7mm Rem. Mag., plus several friends have with their .338s, and a few other guys with .30-06s. I myself, through last season, have scored more than that many consecutive one shot kills with a mix use of .300 Win. and .338 Win.

The .325 WSM might be new alright, but in a practical sense it isn't any different (or in some cases even as good) as many cartridges that have proceeded it. It brings nothing new to the table other than the fact that it's short and fat a wears no belt -- none of those factors making it a better elk killer than anything else. Although I'm sure that some of the gunwriters would love to plant visions of incredible, other-worldly performance in the minds of the pilgrims. Ya' gotta dance with the one that brung ya'! Right????

So the .325 WSM has pulled-off five consecutive elk kills. Big deal!

AD

Good reply and I agree.Been there done that.

Jayco

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mousegun
posted Hide Post
"Writers have to sell articles; gun makers have to sell guns. When they get together, your pocket gets picked." George

whore ( P ) Pronunciation Key (hôr, hr)
n.
A prostitute.
A person considered sexually promiscuous.
A person considered as having compromised principles for personal gain.

intr.v. whored, whor·ing, whores
To associate or have sexual relations with prostitutes or a prostitute.
To accept payment in exchange for sexual relations.
To compromise one's principles for personal gain.

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3411043/m/406102542

What george said sounds a lot like the definition for whore. Dont forget to vote!

------------------------------------
Originally posted by BART185

I've had another member on this board post an aireal photograph of my neighborhood,post my wifes name,dig up old ads on GunsAmerica,call me out on everything that I posted. Hell,obmuteR told me to FIST MYSELF. But you are the biggest jackass that I've seen yet, on this board!
--------------------------------------

-Ratboy

Posts: 194 | Location: Copperhead Road | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just talked to a very "old" buddy over in Raleigh. He was so impressed with the "concept" of not counting misses, that he said he intends to implement it this coming Dove Season! He seems to think that is the best answer yet at getting his Kill Percentage where it actually ought to be.

Anybody here shot a 325WSM yet?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I doubt that I will ever buy one but if it helps the firearms industry in any way then I am for it. I don't think it adds anything to the ability to take big game but some will buy it and love it and thats fine by me.

Posts: 37 | Location: Black Hills | Registered: 06 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Canuck: I'm jealous...two bison...you need to share some photos. I have only shot one bison (in Oklahoma) and I was thrilled. I have in the past on AR said that bison hunting is, well, an easy thing to do. But I take it back.. it is not. Where did you shoot your bison? Can US citizens hunt the bison you are talking about? I like buffalo. Congratulations...

And Canuck, over the years I have read your posts, I have concluded that you are one of the most polite, professional and best hunters on this international forum...and I have seen you get upset here on AR. Saeed has done well in enlisting you as a moderator...keep up the good work.

Robert Jobson

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not quite sure why you guys are so up in arms about this??

Yes, it is exaggerated to represent the .325 WSM as the end of all elk hunting rifle discussions. A ton of other cartridges will do just as well, we know that. But this happens to be the name of the game in gun writing. Every new cartridge is presented like this. So I don't know what all the exitement is about?? I think it would be fair to describe the .325 WSM as a very capable elk round - simply based on bullet diameter, weights and muzzle velocity.

I also don't quite get all the hoopla about the fact that the .325 WSM is made on one of the short magnum cases. These cases are not exactly my favourites. I find the advantages offered in these cases (1/2" saved in overall rifle length, maybe) are very close to being outweighed by their disadvantages (smaller mag capacity, more expensive brass, say). But, hey, the WSMs have become extremely popular, so there must be some reason a lot of people buy them?? So jumping on the .325 WSM because of its case design, you should rightfully jump on the .270, 7mm and 300 WSMs as well.

I can't get away from a feeling, that a lot of you have decided you don't like the .325 WSM - for whatever reason. Then by darn, you are going to stick to that opinion, come hell or high water. I don't personally plan to buy a .325, but I find it super that new 8mm cartridges are introduced. With a bit of luck, they might liven up the market for .323 cal bullets, and that would be an achievement on its own. Thus far, it seems to be going quite well. Both Nosler (200 grs Accubond) and Barnes (TSX - forget the weight) have introduced new .323 cal bullets, hoping the .325 WSM will generate the extra business that will make these bullets a viable option. Power to these guys! People shooting 8x57(R)S and 8mm Rem Mag will also benefit from this development. So where is the catch? More choice is always good. Isn't that the American way??

Is the .325 WSM going to survive?? Who knows? 8mm calibers have not done that well in the US in the past, but maybe this will be different - given the right amount of marketing? It would be great if the proliferation of 8mm bullets became a lasting reality, that is for sure. And, btw, I'm sure an .325 WSM would work great on elk Wink

- mike

P.S. Had to edit out some of the spelling mistakes, I'm sure there might still be some left in there... Take pity on a mere foreigner.

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
rwj, Thanks for the kind comments. Smiler

Looks like the reference by mousegun was a case of mistaken identity.

quote:
Where did you shoot your bison? Can US citizens hunt the bison you are talking about? I like buffalo.

Actually, the bison I have been shooting of late are for the purpose of "herd reduction" on my Dad's ranch. I think I have killed about 8 of them so far this winter. Mostly with a crossbow, as my Dad doesn't like to disrupt the herd with the noise of gunshots. Ran out of straight bolts though, so have switched to my 6.5 Gibbs (heart shots to facilitate bleeding out) for the last two and it has worked pretty good so far.

I have only hunted free-ranging bison once, in 2000. They are on LEH (lottery) for residents, so it was probably a once in a lifetime experience (odds are over 150:1). Both non-residents and residents can get "outfitted" for these free ranging bison though. It can be a VERY challenging hunt depending on weather and hunting pressure, etc.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only time I get a one shot kill is if the animal is still standing after I am ready for a second shot. That goes for squirrels, groundhogs or elk. Admiring the shot leads to lost game.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mho, I'm responding to the situation, not the cartridge. (The gunwriter is ridiculous, but ridiculous gunwriters are nothing new.) The deceptiveness irritates me.

Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard