New
Find
Notify
Tools

question about hunting leases
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ok this may or may not be an appropriate question for this board, if it isn't tell me where it should go. I just came into some land and was contemplating leasing it out, how do you go about pricing such an animal by acre and by person. I would limit it to a few so that the hunting would be good for everyone that would hunt the land. I know of some big soiuthern OH deer that have been taken in the area, but have not seen first hand the animals on this ground. any help on what i need to consider would be greatly appreciated.

gabe

It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it!

one of us
posted Hide Post
gabe,

The lumber company I work for in northcentral Wisconsin is allowed to close up to 80 acres per township. This is land that normaly would be open to the public. Most of the parcels are 40 or 80 acres in size. They then try to lease this land to help pay taxes on the rest. They're currently charging $520 per 40 acres. This is for a 1 year lease. No more than 4 hunters per 40. Includes all hunting, deer, bear, small game, turkey, rifle, bow or shotgun. If a particular parcel does not get leased that year then they will lower the price untill it does. I'm not sure what the prices might be in Ohio but I hope this helps.

Greg

Posts: 117 | Location: Wisconsin , USA | Registered: 07 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
It depends on the size of the land. Ask some of the locals and see what the going rate is.

Land here is only $1.50 to $3.00 per acre on the norm in the areas I hunt. But it varies greatly across states. We usually allow 1 hunter per 100 acres and each hunter to have 3 stand locations no closer than 300 yards to the next hunter's stand location.

Set some firm rules and have penalty fines for breaking those rules and you should have a successful go at it.

Also have the hunters insure the lease in case of an accident.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote