Find
Notify
Tools

Turkey hunters some help please
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted
Has anyone here seen or shot a melanistic mutant Turkey?? i saw a photo of some in a book last year.

I have tried google search and can't find any photos.My hope is a member here may have some photos bewildered

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1878 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
Try "wild turkey melanism" in the google search bar under the "Images" section - you'll find a few.

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I'm not positive what you mean by melanistic? A blak turkey? Never seen a black one, but there is a hen with a large white patch on one side on my farm.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
Yes black Turkey,same colour has this.

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1878 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I've never seen a black turkey but I have seen some with various shades of white coloring.

When I lived in Mississippi, there were several turkeys with this white coloring. One day while out scouting before season I glasses 2 gobblees, one with about 60% white feathers and the other about 35% white feathers. I never did see them during the season though. I also called in a jake that had some wierd white coloring on his feathers, but killing a jake in MS is illegal so he walked.

Also, while riding my 4-wheeler around on this same hunting club, I flushed a hen that was almost solid gray. Very cool.

I'd say this particular area has a realtively high populations of 'white' birds.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote